Haslinger Teaser!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The knife has worked its way down the list to me. It was delivered today, just in time for me to use it this weekend. It looks the same as it does in the pics already posted, but I'll try to add my own before I pass it on to the next on the list.

Rick

I finished up the list!
We're going to work around the continent in a counter-clockwise fashion this time, so the West-coasters don't have to wait for 10 months to touch this one!
Here's the list:
1)echerub
2)caddy
3)spin_blue
4)spikec
5)andy777
6)jbroida
7)chuck239
8)el_pescador
9)rockbox
10)johndoughy
11)so_sleepy
12)mattias504
13)Pensacola Tiger
14)AndrewH
15)wildboar
16)Edipisreks

Hopefully this list was done properly, and I didn't forget anyone!
I'll post the rules soon enough, but they're the same as the Pierre passaround. I just need to find out how much the knife needs to be insured for.
Thanks guys!

Haha, Pesky had this at the beginning of November...the knife's trip from SoCal through Texas and into Florida took 7 months.

Let's just say delivery times can vary and leave it at that. :)
It's back and safe and sound, which is what matters.
I hope the last four guys enjoy their time with it.

I had one of his knives that i got back in 2006 or 7. It was shorter and with steeper edge to handle angle ratio - almost like a honesuki. It also had a pretty curvy/bellied shape. However, proportionally, it looked thicker and stouter, except for the tip... Which was perhaps even thinner and more needle-like. It had a tendency to "spin" when set down and one day it accidentally spun off a counter and lost ~3mm off the tip. Funny thing is that it was actually a much more comfortable a
nd often-used knife after that. I didnt re-grind the needle tip, but instead did a kind of mini drop-point that better matched the stout nature of the rest of the blade.

I had a bit more trouble with wedging than seemes to be encounterer on the passaround knife, but that wasnt an issue as mine was mostly tasked with poulty and small protien.

The steel on mine was the older s30v, but i had a similar underwhelming experience as the folks in the passaround have had with the new s35vn. I discovered the edge retention is exponentially improved with a compound bevel, micro bevel, or mico-convex edge. I like AEB-L or even cpm135 better, but i will say that the s30v was capable of just as absurd sharpness: it was the first steel I passed the Nilloc standing receipt test with. Its just much more sensitivite/ particular with edge shape.

Anyway, I think that the reviews here are pretty accurate with my exp. These knives are not for everyone or for every task. Some will find them quirky and different in a good/fun way, others they will drive crazy.

I eventually sold mine, not b/c i didnt like it, but just b/c I was cutting down on stainless and wanted to try some differnt style petties.

PMPettySale

PMPettySale

hmm something wrong with pics.

Sorry, I guess there was some problem with the links from the mobile app. Admin, please delete the above blank post: edit timer has expired for me.
20111119_161651.jpg
20111119_161312.jpg
20111119_162402.jpg

*EDIT: GAH! I'm too slow! Eamon beat me too it! I guess you can delete this post too...

If a few days pop up at the end of the line for me I'd love to give it a try.

Toss in some of that coffee, and you're in at the end ;) hahaha. Just kidding. There's actually one last spot open, so you can be last. :)

Awesome, Looking forward to it! Thank you. I'm at the end of the line with yeah twice now, I could probly do that

I've had this knife since last Friday afternoon. It got a pretty good workout over the weekend, as we hosted a dinner Friday night that had a bit of prep involved, and I hacked up a nice variety of ingredients for a pizza dinner for Fathers' Day. My initial inpression upon unpacking was Thomas has his stuff together aesthetics-wise. The handle is beautiful, and the lines on the knife are kinda sexy. My wife fell in love with it -- it's the first passaround knife we've had where she liked the length, weight, balance and handle.

Previous reviews in this thread already hit on all my high points, which mainly were: 1) I'd like to see the balance point moved just a little more forward, 2) the flat grind led to a bit of sticking, 3) the thickness above the heel had me mainly using the half of the knife towards the tip, 4) it was in between a slicer and a gyuto. I really liked the thinness at the tip, which was great for mincing garlic. The front half of the blade was great for slicing onions, but the back half did not work as well due to thickness/ wedging; as a result, I altered my technique to more closely mimic slicing. I suspect a 240 would do better; with a 210 there just is not enough useable length for the way the blade is ground to suit my taste/ cutting style.

There are a lot of aspects of this knife that I really liked. The knife felt good in my hand, but as someone already said it did not fully translate to the board -- probably due to the balance point not being far enough forward. I think with some changes to his grind (i.e., add some convexity and a longer 'flat' area) Thomas would have a really great knife. I don't know if he will want to change anything though, as some (like my wife) would be happy for a long time with this, as they like more handle-heavy knives.

I will use it a couple more nights and then send it on down the line. I don't think I will need to try and sharpen before I send it, as it still has a nice endge and only needs a little stropping.

Lefty, thanks for doing this. I have to admit I like the knife more in person then I thought I would based on pics.

Previous reviews in this thread already hit on all my high points, which mainly were: 1) I'd like to see the balance point moved just a little more forward, 2) the flat grind led to a bit of sticking, 3) the thickness above the heel had me mainly using the half of the knife towards the tip, 4) it was in between a slicer and a gyuto. I really liked the thinness at the tip, which was great for mincing garlic. The front half of the blade was great for slicing onions, but the back half did not work as well due to thickness/ wedging; as a result, I altered my technique to more closely mimic slicing. I suspect a 240 would do better; with a 210 there just is not enough useable length for the way the blade is ground to suit my taste/ cutting style.

There are a lot of aspects of this knife that I really liked. The knife felt good in my hand, but as someone already said it did not fully translate to the board -- probably due to the balance point not being far enough forward. I think with some changes to his grind (i.e., add some convexity and a longer 'flat' area) Thomas would have a really great knife. I don't know if he will want to change anything though, as some (like my wife) would be happy for a long time with this, as they like more handle-heavy knives.

Thomas is paying attention to all of our comments and has learned A LOT from all of this.
In fact, he appreciates all of this so much that we are currently figuring out a way to get this knife in the hands of someone who will really appreciate it, while helping to give back to KKF.

Stay tuned :)

So, Edipis, do you have the knife yet???

Weird! I just sent you a pm about this!

Oh, I should add, yes, I'm "next".
After you, that's all she wrote.

Thomas and I will be coming up with a cool way to thank everyone for taking part and also a way to pay back the forum for the amazing info and insight that is abundantly available on here.

Thanks to everyone for your interest!

So, I used it for as small while today. The profile took a bit of adjustment but in the end I found it very nice, I like the way the edge is shaped. Fantastic knife for fine tip work. Very comfortable handle. I'm unsure If it's slightly thick behind the edge or the current sharpening job, But I've used better cutters then how it currently is. I will have more to add after a couple of days.

First impression- I Really wish I could afford to purchase something like this....

Did Haslinger work with/for/under a knife maker by the name of Grenier by any chance??

it's thick behind the edge. i didn't sharpen it, other than touching up.

Sent the Knife off on Tuesday, Really Enjoyed it, Nice fine dice and most things without to much issue, Didn't try it with butternut or anything. I might prefer it thinned some, but it was a pleasure to use, thank you for including me

The knife arrived safe and sound! :)

Thanks to everyone for taking part!

Back