Hattori KD Gyuto - where to get?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am that poster, and I just came back from Japan with four of them, actually: 150 Petty, 180 Santoku, 210 Guyto and 270 Guyto. While rare, Hattori KDs ARE available in Japan, and I just sent the OP an e-mail telling him where to find a 210 Gyuto available for sale; I also know where they have a 150 Petty and a 180 Santoku available in Tokyo, so PM me if you are interested (to be fair, I will answer these PMs tomorrow, to give him a little lead time to contact the store first, which in one case is the same place as the gyuto).

However, beware that the prices in Japan are not negociable (though you will get some discount if paying cash), and these knives sell for the recommended price shown on Hattori's web site (see here), plus 5% tax. So they will be expensive, much more so than shown on Koki's web site (the 270 Gyuto, for example, sells for 226,800 JPY with tax, which is roughly 2,750 USD! Expect to pay 1,990 USD for the 210 Gyuto, and 1,850 USD for the Santoku).

I brought back other knives from Japan as well, but I will make a separate post with pictures soon... :D

Alberto,
I have a friend in Japan who will can go to the Knife Shop in Tokyo to get me the Hattori. How can i contact you to get the name of the store?

Welcome to KKF sstarheel!! Good luck in your quest!

And so you know, after a few more posts you will be able to send pm.
Cheers

Japan Woodworker got in a small stash of his petty knives a month or two ago. When I called to ask about them, I talked to the person there who always seemed to know the inventory, Connie, and she told me that Hattori himself had made them recently, contradicting news that I had been given a year earlier that, I am sad to say, he had incapacitating lung cancer.

i have heard that as well.

once i gain that ability (PM) how do i do it?

I think you gain the ability after a handful of posts (perhaps as few as two).

Just click on the member's name, select "private message," and you're off.

Good luck with your search...

Im wondering whether you have found. Hattori KD series knives?
sorry for my late response, i have been away for a while. yes i have found a hattori kd 210mm gyuto in a store in tokyo - with a little help from a friend! ;) this is probably the most beautiful thing that i have ever had in my hands. oh, and it cuts too! :D

from what i have heard from JCK there will be a couple more produced, apparently a last batch of kds. no one knows when those will appear on the market, where, and what price will be asked for. but there is no hope to get one of these as the waiting lists are way too long.

sorry for my late response, i have been away for a while. yes i have found a hattori kd 210mm gyuto in a store in tokyo - with a little help from a friend! ;) this is probably the most beautiful thing that i have ever had in my hands. oh, and it cuts too! :D

Congratulations!

Did the store have others or did you get the last one?

I believe you're obligated to post some pictures of it at this point as well... ;)

Gratz Yo yo on the sweet buy. pics are a must.:hungry:

oh yes, i forgot that others are as keen as myself to see pictures of such beauties... unfortunately my posting permissions say, "you may not post attachments".

oh yes, i forgot that others are as keen as myself to see pictures of such beauties... unfortunately my posting permissions say, "you may not post attachments".

If you want to have the ability to store images on the KKF servers, become a "Site Supporter". Otherwise, you can upload your photos to a hosting service like PhotoBucket or Picasa, and then link to them.

Rick

Back