Have you seen the new Shun Taiyo

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mmmmmm ice cold PBR..... How appropriate as we discuss the escalating bling that they put this out. Maybe they will use gold next year for flavor flav! :bigeek:
hoshi.jpg

Hoshi - at least it has a high carbon core. Interesting. I don't dig the profile though. Copper damascus?

I wouldn't buy it, but there are some things I like about the knife above. I like that profile for a smaller knife, but it needs a nimble pointy tip, that looks like the safety tip that you see on Japanese children's knives.

The handle looks good, I like the pin design, although with full tang i fear it would too handle heavy.

Copper damascus sounds wrong, but what worries me is the "durable clear coating (to) protect copper from discolouration." What on earth could that be?

i dont know about you guys, but i got a really good chuckle reading through this thread, thumbs up for entertainment!

anybody use their fuji gyuto? those are actually pretty cool and are tanaka r2 price range. i would never go for it, but interesting at least.

The Fuji chef's is a nice gyuto. Hefty but well balanced and tall at the heel which I like. Great handle. Average thickness blade. It's not a laser. My Tanaka R2 wa-gyuto is a LASER. It is so thin at the spine that you would think it was a mono-steel blade. It may just be my particular specimen. I asked Frank to send me his thinnest. I'm actually scared to slam it down on the board repeatedly but so far, no chips. It will dig into my cutting board. I guess the end-grain board does its job here.

After a bit of reading, copper in damascus isn't really rare, but this is the only kitchen knife i can find it in.

Takeshi Saji uses it with amazing effect in kiridashi.

it really gets on my nerves when people talk smack about PBR. ive been drinking that stuff forever mainly because it goes great with the hot sweaty humid climate in Louisiana. In a blind taste test i promise you, Pabst will smoke busch, blue bull, and high life.Really, its too damn cheap to be "hip".

That's why the hipsters drink it. (Hip and Hipster are two completely different things altogether.) It's why they tool around on fixies and chop with Shirogami #1 single bevel knives.

It's the essence of things and the disassociation with any type of marketing/advertising that the hipster embraces.

only-drink-pbr.jpeg

hipsterTest_03.jpg

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/17/hipsters-pbr-beer-prices_n_3294536.html

with the exception of chopping with a single bevel knife, hipsters sound pretty alright to me. choosing a product thats inexpensive and doesnt do the typical cheezy advertising associated with major beer companies sounds pretty logical. why all the anti hipster sentiment? Futhermore, when did Jknife anything become a part of hipsterism?

That's why the hipsters drink it. (Hip and Hipster are two completely different things altogether.) It's why they tool around on fixies and chop with Shirogami #1 single bevel knives.
You do sound like Cartman from South Park: I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!
Who tools where?
Now, please remind me, what was/is wrong with chopping with Shirogami #1 SB knives? And why does that require being a hip(ster)?

with the exception of chopping with a single bevel knife, hipsters sound pretty alright to me. choosing a product thats inexpensive and doesnt do the typical cheezy advertising associated with major beer companies sounds pretty logical. why all the anti hipster sentiment? Futhermore, when did Jknife anything become a part of hipsterism?

Because they are smelly, have tats, wear skinny jeans, take their dogs to the bar and don't know how to shave properly. Completely asexual, apathetic sub-humans who only think that they are cool because they avoid all things cool but in the process have created their own sub-culture of quasi-cool. Plus they don't observe proper rules of the road when they are riding around on their Shiro #1 bicycle equivalents. Freaking dirty hipsters. I remember hearing that 70-something percent of normal people loathe hipsters.

And the Shiro #1 cutters are simply a sub-class of the hipster movement/culture. I'm sure that if we had a "People of the KKF" pic thread, the vast majority would be shown to be wearing knit caps, skin tight Chef Wear pants with the label removed held up with an old shoe string tied about the waist and their single Shiro#1 usuba wrapped in a old kitchen towel stuffed in their canvas backpack peddling to their kitchens on a flat black spray painted fixie bike as the wind blew threw their unkept, scraggly beard.

You do sound like Cartman from South Park: I hate hippies! I mean, the way they always talk about "protectin' the earth" and then drive around in cars that get poor gas mileage and wear those stupid bracelets - I hate 'em! I wanna kick 'em in the nuts!
Who tools where?
Now, please remind me, what was/is wrong with chopping with Shirogami #1 SB knives? And why does that require being a hip(ster)?

facepalm.gif

Less literal, more figurative.

I tried, but I can't take you seriously. Even if half the stuff you just listed was actually a real thing, it's certainly not something worth hating, life is too short for that. I've seen much worst happen in popular culture.

Because they are smelly, have tats, wear skinny jeans, take their dogs to the bar and don't know how to shave properly. Completely asexual, apathetic sub-humans who only think that they are cool because they avoid all things cool but in the process have created their own sub-culture of quasi-cool. Plus they don't observe proper rules of the road when they are riding around on their Shiro #1 bicycle equivalents. Freaking dirty hipsters. I remember hearing that 70-something percent of normal people loathe hipsters.

And the Shiro #1 cutters are simply a sub-class of the hipster movement/culture. I'm sure that if we had a "People of the KKF" pic thread, the vast majority would be shown to be wearing knit caps, skin tight Chef Wear pants with the label removed held up with an old shoe string tied about the waist and their single Shiro#1 usuba wrapped in a old kitchen towel stuffed in their canvas backpack peddling to their kitchens on a flat black spray painted fixie bike as the wind blew threw their unkept, scraggly beard.

Less literal, more figurative.

Are you 80 years old?

Doing something because its uncool is just a different way of letting the herd tell you how to live. Be real, genuine, and authentically you. F the herd...except When they're right.

Because they are smelly, have tats, wear skinny jeans, take their dogs to the bar and don't know how to shave properly. Completely asexual, apathetic sub-humans who only think that they are cool because they avoid all things cool but in the process have created their own sub-culture of quasi-cool.
Cartman again: Hippies.They're everywhere. They wanna save the earth, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad. Same, but shorter...

Alright Cartman, slow down a bit. For one, you never actually explained what is wrong with Shiro #1 or cutting with it. Indulge us?

Second, you did "dish it out"(in your own terminology) to half a dozen individual members, Japanese knife makers, and now to most of the forum members as well. Seriously? Are you really that pretentious or something else is irritating you? Hippies?
You are making awful lot of assumptions and nobody knows based on what. Either way, if KKF is so bad, what are you doing here anyway, trying to fix everything and everyone or just venting your frustrations?

Alright Cartman, slow down a bit. For one, you never actually explained what is wrong with Shiro #1 or cutting with it. Indulge us?

Not a thing. In fact, I just finished sharpening the 240 Shiro#1 gyuto that I just received last night and it's hands down the keenest edge I've ever put on a knife. Suminabitch is terrifyingly sharp. I think it forced the five baby house finches in the nest on my back porch to prematurely leave their nest just by it's existence. (A quasi-butterfly effect if you will, but on a much more localized scale.)

Second, you did "dish it out"(in your own terminology) to half a dozen individual members, Japanese knife makers, and now to most of the forum members as well. Seriously? Are you really that pretentious or something else is irritating you? Hippies?
You are making awful lot of assumptions and nobody knows based on what. Either way, if KKF is so bad, what are you doing here anyway, trying to fix everything and everyone or just venting your frustrations?

You were much closer with the Cartman reference than actually trying to do your best Immanuel Kant impression.

Me neither. May be it's all reverse sarcasm wrapped deep in those rants?

There you go...

I don't understand the thing with Pabst. Granted a cold beer is a cold beer sometimes but there is no Pabst brewery just like there is no Olympia, Falstaff, Hamms, Rainier, etc. etc. One fairly unknown corporation bought up the names of dozens of once regional breweries and contracts to have them produced and bottled by the current big guys. They are marketed to nostalgia beer drinkers but they don't necessarily use the same recipe that made the original beer famous.

Back to the original thread. I'm having a hard time imagining that this Taiyo is going to remain a limited production run of 300 knives. I'm thinking that Shun would turn on its marketing machinery and expand this to a line of bling knives. I personally don't have any issues with Shuns. They can be bought at steep discount to the retail price, and at these discounted prices, they are fair value and perform well.

So I've been in a professional enviornment for a few months now. I can confidently say, that Shun's are pretty worthless here, and chippy as hell. Still good for the home cook, but get this crap out of my kitchen if it does more than 500 a week. Just can't take it. Edipis, sorry to break this to you, but JBroida is right, these just aren't pro-built knives. Never.

different strokes for different folks. i know so many good chefs that use shuns. but ironically enough, none of them can sharpen or want to learn to sharpen. Many of them would rather use electric sharpeners for their shuns. it would be nice if the steel was friendlier to rookie knife sharpeners. i still hate deburring those dreaded things.

different strokes for different folks. i know so many good chefs that use shuns. but ironically enough, none of them can sharpen or want to learn to sharpen. Many of them would rather use electric sharpeners for their shuns. it would be nice if the steel was friendlier to rookie knife sharpeners. i still hate deburring those dreaded things.

That may be the difference. I sharpen mine. Maybe that's when the chips show up. A coworker uses a Shun, which I have never sharpened. Our head Chef told hm that his knife should he 10s shar[er than it was.

Just re-sharpened mine tonight. I had totally forgot how many chips in had incurred. It get's used a lot because of it's size and i'm not worried about cutting dairy with it because it's my throw away knife. But damn, I hate everything about this little piece of crap. Just riddled with holes on the edge. I'll eat glass before I buy another Shun. The money could be so much better spent with one of the vendors here.

Just re-sharpened mine tonight. I had totally forgot how many chips in had incurred. It get's used a lot because of it's size and i'm not worried about cutting dairy with it because it's my throw away knife. But damn, I hate everything about this little piece of crap. Just riddled with holes on the edge. I'll eat glass before I buy another Shun. The money could be so much better spent with one of the vendors here.

yeah its not too hard to find a knife of similar price but with better performance and grind. Although I do admit Shun Premiers have pretty decent grinds.

Cannot say this not a funny:rofl2: thread. Don't like the profiles on most Shuns, for the coin you can get better knives. The dishing of the VG-10 steel is overblown though. Chipping for the most part is because of abuse. Deburring, DB side stroke on the stone clean it up with newspaper or cardboard.

Craig is that picture of you running out of PBR beer?:D

Wow, such vitriol. I haven't used the taiyo, but one of my bosses uses a classic santoku and I do not enjoy sharpening it. That is all.

I see a lot of Shun's, Wusties, Henckles, etc...but I am also seeing a little big of stones and some random Japanese knives mixed in there

Latest posts

Back