Headed to Minneapolis next week...any KKFers want to meet?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Snap. I just checked. You are seeing Gogol Bardello aren't you. Good venue too.

The more the merrier if anyone wants to join in.

I have some fun stuff for the new menu that should be ready by Friday for sampling too.

Marvel bar could be a fun place to meet. Plus they are used to Drinky whipping out blades. :bigeek:

Plus they also have Will Catchside's cocktail spoon that I had made a while back. Btw, Pip was just in the July Food & Wine issue.

Snap. I just checked. You are seeing Gogol Bardello aren't you. Good venue too.

Yeah, it's a fun venue. But the last time I saw them there the bruises on my body were not insignificant. I was hurting for a while. But now I am older and wiser -- I think...

k.

Friday plans sound good. I like Charlie's place: good food, nice patio and a pool table for laying out knives.

D@mmit, i forgot my roll. :bashhead:

Also, i know thats not your photo in your avatar, Mr Drinky....but i cant seem to shake the expectation that you will look like that.

Also, i know thats not your photo in your avatar, Mr Drinky....but i cant seem to shake the expectation that you will look like that.

Yeah, I get that quite a bit. That's why I often go shirtless at these gatherings. BUT I will have just seen my avatar in concert, so he will be in town somewhere.

k.

That would be pretty funny to go up to him and start calling him Karring or Mr. Drinky - Hahaha - I can just see him going ***?!?!?!:D

I don't care about his shirt or lack there of or if he starts wearin' purple, wearin' purple as long as he brings that new wootz slicer.

also: Simpsons knife avatar high-five.

Z - If you are in Mpls for a while make sure you hit the Butcher and the Boar too. That was a fun and fantastic meal on my last trip.

Solid recco. Took a couple of colleagues here for dinner tonight.

Had the Hawaiian Tuna "kimchee poke," which was a refreshing take on raw tuna; the red hot brussel sprouts, which is sprouts pan roasted in butter and Frank's Red Hot, I love sprouts so this was a very welcome change; stuffed jalepeno apps, there was a bit too much cream cheese in these for me, esp with the sweet sauce and golden raisins, but was pleased to see fresh japs with a grilled, smoky flavor; the grilled oysters were excellent as well.

Going to try 112 Eatery tomorrow night...probably :)

I will bring the slicer. Actually used it tonight on some salmon.

There is also a chance I might make the Parma reservation. Let me know if it is ok to bring some good wine.

k.

Was going to try 112 Eatery tonight...but they didn't have any reservations available before 8:30. Going to hit them up Thur night though.

Sounds great...and NO ONE will just guess that name.

Yeah...I'll need this too :)

You're welcome to join us Salty...bit of a drive though....

I'm jonesing for a road trip and was thinking EAA in Oshkosh today, then head further north but we're going to get spanked on Friday and I'm a little short staffed. I'll be manning the salad/dessert station. (Cooler over there)

K. I will look inti it but suspect that a corkage fee will be unavoidable. :(

Zwiefel. Things from 112 that I wish I could have for breakfast right now: 112 tartare, crab salad, foie gras meatballs, lamb scottadito, Harissa sandwich, country rib - I wish I had time to insert a pic of a drooling Homer here.

Those Foie Gras meatballs are a masterpiece -
Wish I could make it up tomorrow, my dad was bugging me to head up to the family cabin and I could have done Mpls on the way up (two hours north of the Cities on the Sconnie side) but I have been gone too much the last month and need to catch up on stuff around the homefront. I am not sure if I will be able to get into the garden if I let the weeds grow any longer.

K. I will look inti it but suspect that a corkage fee will be unavoidable. :(

Zwiefel. Things from 112 that I wish I could have for breakfast right now: 112 tartare, crab salad, foie gras meatballs, lamb scottadito, Harissa sandwich, country rib - I wish I had time to insert a pic of a drooling Homer here.

Ill consider these marching orders and coerce my colleagues.

FYI - There was another Zwiefel in the reservation system and a Zwiefelford.

Should have put it under Abe Frohman.

Also, no joke the reservation right before Zwiefel is for a Mr. Dick Town.

mmmmm....Chicago Sausages.....

That's astonishing...I've never met anyone else named Zwiefel.

FYI - There was another Zwiefel in the reservation system and a Zwiefelford.

Should have put it under Abe Frohman.

Also, no joke the reservation right before Zwiefel is for a Mr. Dick Town.

I might show up a bit earlier. 7ish. Just fyi.

k.

After the week I've had...I'll be there at 7 too. I'll be the one looking super-tired and lost.

supermegaultra looking forward to it.

NOTE: soft, old guy operating on <2 hours sleep.

In other news: I'll be in Minneapolis next week too.

Could anyone possibly offer to drive me back to my hotel in Eagan after the gathering tonight?

Last edited:
Had a great time with senor Drinky, Heldentenor, justin0505, and chuckles. Hope I was better company than I felt.

Got a few photos....though i did, once again, wonder how many KKFers are wary of being photographed.

Will share tomorrow when I'm a bit less thin.

Sorry there more aren't and better photos...light was tricky, as was my conciousness

Apps: pork belly skewers with shredded green onions and apple compote
9432621052_b40dee5063.jpg

Very nice...super crisp, plenty of unctous fat, little bit of sweetness...very well balanced.

House made pasta noodles (can't remember what they were called), citrus cream sauce, spinach, little hit of crushed red pepper:
9432619746_0f7b26de4f.jpg

This was a really good combination. The red pepper with the citrus and cream...the noodles were prefectly cooked, and the spinach added a bit of welcome greenness.

Drinky's Wootz Slicer....nice bit of kit:
9432618502_b3bf90da78.jpg

The pool table of lust:
9432617518_d02824f1fd.jpg

Obviously, playing with the toys on the pool table was a highlight of the night....but so were the various people who walked by the table who were visibly uncomfortable.

Was really great to meet everybody and spend a few hours getting to know each other better. Sorry I couldn't make it downtown, hope you guys had fun.

----------

I'm headed out to 112 Eatery tomorrow for dinner, en solo....unless someone else is looking for an excuse to eat well and hang out a bit (more).

Also, I'm here for most of the week if anyone wants to get together on a week night (subject to customer demands, obviously).

Just realized I forgot the swordfish dish b/c I didn't get a pic of it.

Grilled Swordfish steak over parsnips with crispy parsnips on top, in a pool of bacon broth. Was delightful...esp with a bit of bread to sop the broth.

First of all, thanks Zwiefel for giving us another reason to hang out, drink, talk knives and generally neglect the other people in our lives. I wish I could have made the pool table blade layout -- that looked awesome.

And a special thanks to Charlie for once again providing an amazing venue and food. All three dishes were amazing, and that consommé with the fish was so tasty I was craving it the next morning, the next day after that, and right now as I am writing this. Good stuff. It was sort of pleasantly odd that these were items for the new menu and the servers had never tried or probably seen the dishes before. There was definitely some envy hovering around that table.

And for those of you who paid for everything I ate and drank that night, many thanks.

k.

You're doing everyone else credit but selling yourself short, Karring. Charlie's food and generosity as a host deserve tons of thanks, but much of what we drank came from your wine cellars--and MAN was that Denner Mother of Exiles good! Zwiefel, Justin, always a pleasure.

Oh, and based on first impressions, Jon's new Gesshin Badass line might be the value of the year.

You're doing everyone else credit but selling yourself short, Karring. Charlie's food and generosity as a host deserve tons of thanks, but much of what we drank came from your wine cellars--and MAN was that Denner Mother of Exiles good! Zwiefel, Justin, always a pleasure.

Oh, and based on first impressions, Jon's new Gesshin Badass line might be the value of the year.

correct on all counts.

I'm lusting for a Kagekiyo now....the F+F, grind, taper are all superb...and that handle is very cool and unique. Hell, the box kicks @$$ too!

Back