Heiji Gyuto Carbon vs Semi-Stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ombolo, I have no experience with Heji SS, but I do have Yoshikane SLD and SKD knives and yes, the edge holding is great. I would suggest to give you Heji a slight microbevel and test it more (few sharpening cycles). Sometimes odd things happen we do not manage to figure out completely. Should that you confirm that unexpectedly short edge holding I would probably contact the maker (if that is an option).

Panda I have a 240mm Heiji SS if you would like to borrow it you know where to find me.

I have a carbon and a semi. Although the semi is new, I'd definitely prefer the carbon. I quickly read some of the comments above - core steel in the semi-s knives is fine-grained and resembles carbon - and so far that seems to be the case, and I had no problems getting it nicely sharp. (Burr took longer to get rid of compared to carbon.) The knife has a different feel overall though, probably more because of the cladding. Feels different when sharpening and my carbon blade just feels more solid and stiff. Maybe the stainless cladding is lighter? I can't do a weight comparision, because the knives are different lengths/types. The carbon version just feels like it should to me, while the semi-s feels a bit more of a toy. I'm hoping the W will like it and use it instead of anying carbon that I might leave in the kitchen undefended.

Back