Heiji love

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Entirely possible, but I love to cut very thin sections of rutabaga for making rutabaga fries. And I've found no better knives than my Heijis for it.

I could see that. I should have clarified that only the first few large cuts (halving, quartering, etc) aren't great. As far as thinner cuts, I'd definitely agree, I haven't tried any gyuto that does it better than a Heiji.

Even the first few cuts are fine for me, but I find that almost any knife wedges in the first few cuts on a rutabaga, so I'm not saying that the Heiji doesn't, I'm just saying that it's not any worse than most anything else, and then once those are done it's just lovely.

I got a cortisone shot on my thumb, today, as well as. Thanks for reminding me of how much it hurts some times, Mucho Bocho, but if I'm lucky that will be a thing of the past.

ER, I hope the cortisone shot gives you some relief. Remember, even though you may not feel the pain as much, you can actually cause more damage to your digit as a result. Please keep us posted. Good Luck

Thanks for the reminder on that, it's certainly easy to forget that less pain does not necessarily mean less damage.

so i recenty got a heiji semi-stainless gyuto... let me tell you, this stuff is insane!! why havent i tried one of these sooner?? if i didn't know any better, i would have thought this was carbon. it feels like shirogami and ginsanko hybrid. in other words, a toothier white steel. love this knife. i wonder if he just added some chromium to iwasaki, lol.

so i recenty got a heiji semi-stainless gyuto... let me tell you, this stuff is insane!! why havent i tried one of these sooner?? if i didn't know any better, i would have thought this was carbon. it feels like shirogami and ginsanko hybrid. in other words, a toothier white steel. love this knife. i wonder if he just added some chromium to iwasaki, lol.
I just got one as well. A beast of a knife and I, too, have been very impressed by the steel. I don't know about your sample, but the core steel on my knife formed a patina as fast or faster than what I usually see. I think the emphasis is on SEMI-stainless.

Yeah, semi-stainless when I've used it, both from Heiji and others, made a deep fast patina that wouldn't rust. Kinda weird but cool. I agree the heiji semi feels like ginsanko and shiro. I've been thinking about getting a western handled semi stainless. One day . . .

I recently i got a heji semi stainless cleaver, and we've only been on one date. But im in love :).

Yo Panda, when you get sick of this Heiji, I’ll take it no questions asked!

I just got one as well. A beast of a knife and I, too, have been very impressed by the steel. I don't know about your sample, but the core steel on my knife formed a patina as fast or faster than what I usually see. I think the emphasis is on SEMI-stainless.
yep, instantly patina'd.

Yo Panda, when you get sick of this Heiji, I’ll take it no questions asked!
haha, no dice, i'm planning on ordering a 240 in the same specs as soon as i have the funds. i was originally going to get iwasaki but i'm so impressed with the SS i'll stick with it.

forgot to mention, mine is a 210 and it is the only 210 ive ever been happy with. it makes sense because it's not really a 210, it runs long at 225-ish haha

I got the 270 and it makes my Toyama 270 feel slight.

I have a recent 270 heiji and toyama feel smaller? Or does slight refer to something else. . I remember when I got my first 270, a tf, and that thing was huge. The heiji by comparison reminds me a lot of my 270 ginga, actually.

I'm getting some Heiji carbons - anyone had both? How do they compare.
Also - Heiji saws are truly amazing.

I'm getting some Heiji carbons - anyone had both? How do they compare.

I've had the Gesshin Heiji gyuto and didn't love it - mostly a wide bevel thing. Don't remember anything remarkable, good or bad, about sharpening. Early on had a Gesshin Kurochi Dami petty that sharpened like a dream. And now a Heiji carbon suji that I like a lot and has made the keeper list. Sharpens well and not too reactive.

I've looked for other Heiji carbons, (albeit not very hard), where are you "getting" from?

I have a recent 270 heiji and toyama feel smaller? Or does slight refer to something else. . I remember when I got my first 270, a tf, and that thing was huge. The heiji by comparison reminds me a lot of my 270 ginga, actually.
The Toyama is 250g , the Heiji is 285g. The handle on the Heiji is heavier, but it still has a more blade heavy balance than the Toyama. It feels completely different in the hand.

My cleaver is not overly bulky. Its lighter and nimbler than i expected.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about the heft. This knife is truly something to behold. Out of the box, I thought it would wedge like crazy. It is certainly a heavyweight bruiser but it cuts dense produce better than I would have imagined. This is not to say it doesn't wedge, it does in some things. It will crack large carrots cutting perpendicular but glides through them lengthwise slices. It is a slaw machine. I'm not yet sure it is a keeper for me, but the steel quality and the performance surprises keep me coming back to it.
20190401_160535.jpeg
20190402_163252.jpeg
20190402_163728.jpeg

Good looking patina, too.
The new puppy likes it as well.
20190402_170246.jpeg
20190423_174326.jpeg

Curious how the semi stainless compares to yoshikane skd. Anyone tried both? The descriptions seem to echo each other.
Yoshi skd is Pretty good stuff. I prefer heiji....it’s been a few years since I used yoshi skd.
Side note: I’ve owned Marko A2, which is nothing at all like heiji semi. I seriously doubt heiji uses A2.

Back