Hello from Vancouver ( Here now due to reddit Chefknives closing )

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosscut

Reaction score
At the title states, I enjoyed cruising the chefknives and sharpening subreddit. I am relatively new to this hobby, only purchasing my first Japanese knife last year. So far in the collection I have the following:

TF Maboroshi Gyuto 210mm - Purchased from local Knifewear store. The knife just felt amazing in hand, and was incredibly sharp out of the box. I have since thinned it to get even more performance out of it.
TF Maboroshi Petty 120mm - Perfect for smaller tasks and cutting fruit for my morning smoothies.

I have read some of the TF threads on here and understand the mixed reviews. The handle finishing is not the best for sure, but the knife is straight and wasn't overly thick, I just wanted to experiment with thinning to see if I could get even better performance out of it, after cutting with the Shibata.

Shibata Kotetsu 240mm Gyuto - Amazing laser that cuts through dense veggies like nothing I have ever felt. It doesn't feel as solid or as well balanced at the TF, but the fit and finish and excellent and it is a prep monster.

The first nice knife I purchased was a 10in Wusthof, followed by some Victorinox Fibrox Pro's 8 and 10 inch.

I have the following stones to maintain the knives and took a sharpening course at the local Knifewear shop.

220 shapton glass - used for thinning and sharpening friends really dull knives
800 Naniwa Pro
3000 Naniwa Pro

Nice to meet you all. I look forward to interacting with the community.

Latest posts

Back