Help me choose a gift knife, 210mm stainless

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trvn

Reaction score
Planning on giving a knife for a birthday present, not sure where to go but have an idea. What say you kkf?

KNIFE TYPE
What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)? Gyuto

Are you right or left handed? Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle? Probably Western handle, but I think it's the overall size that's more important. She has a Henkels currently and she always reaches for my Tojiro DP whenever she uses my knives, instead of my other wa handles

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)? 210mm.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no) Yes, or semi-stainless. Low maintenance is a priority

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife? $150

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment? Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.) Just about everything for home cooking. Lot of veggie chopping, mincing

What knife, if any, are you replacing? She is using a Henkel's right now, 210mm, stainless. She has mentioned that she really likes my Tojiro DP whenever she uses my knives

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.) Rock cut, draw cuts, chopping

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.) Maybe a bit thinner or sharper from a Henkels

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)? Not really important, but some touches like rounded spine and choil would be nice

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)? Lets say a step up from a Tojiro DP or Henkels, but following that idea

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)? Good edge retention is a must, since she doesn't have stones and such to sharpen properly

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.) Not sure

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.) She uses a sharpening rod, but not really. Whenever I use her henkels its pretty dull

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.) Probably not

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.) No

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I've been looking around at my options. Here is what I've come up with so far, around my budget of $150ish:
Gesshin Stainless
Gesshin Stainless wa handle
Gesshin Uraku
Tojiro HSPS
Tanaka Ginsan
Itinomonn StainLess

What do you guys think?

Round up the usual suspects! :)

If damascus looks would be appreciated, the Sakai Takayuki VG10 damascus clad are within the price range. JCK (japanesechefsknife.com) Kagayaki VG10 western gyutos are showing on sale right now ($127 sale, original $182).

Anything on your list you can't go wrong with. The Suisin Western Inox and Misono Moly or 440 from Korin merit consideration as well.

The Tojiro HSPS is attractive because it's the only PM steel on this list so theoretically should have a long edge retention which would suit a gift to a non sharpener. It has a fairly big belly so the profile would suit rock chopping. The grind is ok, with reasonable but not great food release for a thinnish middleweight. Apparently it has a thinner grind than Tojiro DP (which I have never handled). I can't comment on edge retention except to say that (not surprisingly) it wasn't sharp when I had an opportunity to sharpen it again after about 8 months. It's not difficult to sharpen. The fit & finish is a bit lacklustre- coarse (but even) grinder marks still evident under the final polish, mediocre fitting handle and pretty sharp spine & choil (the latter was easy enough to fix).

Tanaka Ginsan is a slighly thinner knife but is not laser thin though. It has a slightly flatter profile but still has a bit of belly. It's a wide bevel. The blade path has a fairly attractive sandblasted finish (don't know how it looks or performs after a thinning yet) and the blade face has a nice najishi (pear skin) finish. I haven't used them side by side but I'm pretty sure that the thinness vs food release tradeoff is a bit more optimized than the Tojiro HSPS (which as I mentioned was OK). I have only used the K&S full version which is in the next price bracket up, so can't comment on the F&F. Most reports about the F&F of the K&S lite version have been OK though.

Haven't used the others on your list but given the positive reviews of them, I would like to try them one day. I think your list includes most of the "usual suspects" in this price bracket although Dave's suggestions are certainly worth a look.

Good VG-10 might be a smart solution in this case. Once the initial -- crazy -- sharpness got lost, a good usable sharpness remains almost forever. The remaining sharpness is at the level of a freshly sharpened German stainless. Add the much better geometry of Japanese knives and you get an idea.
Don't suggest the use of a ceramic rod with it, as it is prone to development of a wire edge.
The Kagayaki VG-10 is good stuff. Monosteel, nice innovative design, excellent Fit & Finish. Will make a great present, I think.

Thanks guys, some options I hadn't considered yet. I'll have to take a closer look at the JCK and Korin options. I spoke with her and confirmed the western handle, heavier, workhorse knife is the preference. My initial inclination is toward the Tojiro since I know she liked the DP

I don't have one, but the Tojiro HSPS seems like a serious bang for the buck prospect. I woukd buy one myself if I had unlimited finances. :)

How would the Gesshin stainless western compare to the Tojiro HSPS, anyone know? Noticeable difference? It's worth noting that we're talking about someone that chooses to use a Tojiro DP over a Gengetsu here, so I'm wondering if going for the cheaper Gesshin and also throwing in a petty knife (which she's mentioned she needs) might be a more appreciated option

However I don't know if I could go through the checkout at JKI without dropping $300 on a Kochi...been wanting one of those for a long time

How would the Gesshin stainless western compare to the Tojiro HSPS, anyone know? Noticeable difference? It's worth noting that we're talking about someone that chooses to use a Tojiro DP over a Gengetsu here, so I'm wondering if going for the cheaper Gesshin and also throwing in a petty knife (which she's mentioned she needs) might be a more appreciated option

However I don't know if I could go through the checkout at JKI without dropping $300 on a Kochi...been wanting one of those for a long time

I do not have the GWS but I have similar knives with the same steel around the same hardness and I have the Tojiro. Edge holding should be much, much better with the Tojiro but the Gesshin will be easier to sharpen or at least less time consuming. The Gesshin should also be more forgiving of error on (and off) the board. Nothing wrong with either knife, particularly for a home kitchen, in my limited experience.

Though, going with that Kochi is gravy!

One is a knife?

Like the Gesshin Stainless, use one as a throw down knife. No love for Tojiro though my experience is with DP.

You really ought to try the HSPS. Maybe it won't become your favorite knife but I think you will be pleasantly surprised over a DP. It is a lot better of a knife.

One is a knife?

Like the Gesshin Stainless, use one as a throw down knife. No love for Tojiro though my experience is with DP.

Heh. Yeah I've always been pretty meh about my DP, not sure why she liked it so much. But if what I've been reading is true about the HSPS being a noticeable step up all around it should be a safe bet. Gonna go with the Tojiro and call it good. Thanks all!

I'd break the budget and maybe get a UX-10 210mm gyuto for $165.

There's a couple reasons why this is may make sense.

1) Looks. The UX10 looks cool/stylish--and more so this is important in a "gift" context.
2) Nice Handle for a western handle.
3) Light+nimble, pointy tip. slightly smaller blade height, etc.
4) Durable. in a working kitchen.

Basically, the knife is a good knife for a gift in this context.
(Attractive design can/will encourage use.)

The lack of downsides also more than makes up
for for any lack of "wow" factor amongst knife geeks.

(NB you're already making a similar tradeoff with stainless, for example)

I think its worth considering.

Heh. Yeah I've always been pretty meh about my DP, not sure why she liked it so much. But if what I've been reading is true about the HSPS being a noticeable step up all around it should be a safe bet. Gonna go with the Tojiro and call it good. Thanks all!
It's a pretty good choice in this situation- grind is not bad and the steel should have good edge retention.

I'd set aside a little time to ease the spine and choil though. I found them downright uncomfortable before I eased them.

It's a pretty good choice in this situation- grind is not bad and the steel should have good edge retention.

I'd set aside a little time to ease the spine and choil though. I found them downright uncomfortable before I eased them.

Yeah that is definitely the case with the DP. I'll touch up the HSPS for sure, thanks

I would call Jon. The thing is - unless the situation around sharpening changes, than you do not want to pick a knife in the HRC60+ range as the sharpening rod will be too ineffective (and may even damage the thin hard edge). From your list the Gesshin Stainless woul be the closest match.

Also have a loot at Suisin INOX (not the Honyakyi line). Within the budget too and very nice F&F.

I would call Jon. The thing is - unless the situation around sharpening changes, than you do not want to pick a knife in the HRC60+ range as the sharpening rod will be too ineffective (and may even damage the thin hard edge). From your list the Gesshin Stainless woul be the closest match.

Also have a loot at Suisin INOX (not the Honyakyi line). Within the budget too and very nice F&F.

SIW has the worst food release of any knife I have ever owned. Okay to good F&F, spine still needed easing which bothers me at its price point compared to something like an FKM. Sexy handle in looks and comfort, though and great general profile. I think the Suisin would be a hell of a lot of a better deal if it cost 20% less but I find myself recommending it less and less these days. I still use mine, though.

I've bought several Misono Molys for my friends as gifts everyone has loved them so far. There very affordable, low maintenance and has good fit and finish for the price. Plus the box they come in is pretty nice which I care about because if its a gift.

SIW has the worst food release of any knife I have ever owned. Okay to good F&F, spine still needed easing which bothers me at its price point compared to something like an FKM. Sexy handle in looks and comfort, though and great general profile. I think the Suisin would be a hell of a lot of a better deal if it cost 20% less but I find myself recommending it less and less these days. I still use mine, though.

I am about to find out. I have bought a Suisin INOX 180 gyuto for when we have family visitors that may have some cooking aspirations. I have bought a few of these knives for our cottage, did notice the very flat grind, but did not use them to find out how they behave.

I am about to find out. I have bought a Suisin INOX 180 gyuto for when we have family visitors that may have some cooking aspirations. I have bought a few of these knives for our cottage, did notice the very flat grind, but did not use them to find out how they behave.

That is what I use them for as well. I have a 180 gyuto, 150 petty and 90 paring. With potatoes, even if you slice you get some wicked sticking much of the time. :( I have found that adding some convex to the bevel helps. Good knife but I wish it had some more curves, you know?

Back