Help me choose better beater knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Agreed....

But I haven't tried one.

Get the tramontina damascus VG10 set available on amazon and ebay for around $70, they are shun clones - even the silly damascus is similar and thus make superb beater knives. The Ikea knive in VG10 also aren't bad but would probably run more than the Tramontina....

I have never owned or used a Global,but have sharpened them.Just sharpened one the other day that was close to 12" long a real beast.I did like the long flatter edge profile on it.Was able to raise a burr after a little work on the stone & it took a keen edge.It is chrom moly wt. a good heat treatment.I imagine the edge holding is decent at best.I never could get past those handles either,but have known cooks who use & like them.

The Gesshin Uraku is a much better knife at around the same price as the Global.

I agree that the Uraku is a better performing knife. But, the OP is looking for knives that can handle abuse, including being washed in a dishwasher. Since pakkawood handles can get damaged by being washed in a dishwasher, wa handles will likely get destroyed in a dishwasher.

thanks guys. I purchased those I listed. Once they arrive I'll begin operation switch-a-roo and see if anyone but me notices.

Are we talking about being washed by a dishwasher or in a dishwasher?

Just trying to understand? If you were cooking in a professional setting, wouldn't this mean you'd be going through a lot of knives. At home, I just wipe the blade, rinse it and dry the blade and handle with dry cloth. I consider myself pretty a disciplined cook with effective kitchen work flows but just can't seem to get into the habit of wiping the blade down after cutting.

Can you imagine running a Takeda, Carter or Kato through a dishwasher cycle. When I think about it, a little part of me dies. ;)

No kidding washing & wiping down a knife is second nature.Education about knife care only takes a few minutes.It works too,most people in modern western society are clueless

The Togiharu showed up yesterday. Korin got it to me overnight which was a huge surprise. The edge is going to need some work (extremely uneven grind) and I don't get the feeling that it is going to kill carrots like the heavy German blade it replaces. It is very light and thin in comparison. I'll add that it went through potatoes very nicely even with the crummy edge.

Are we talking about being washed by a dishwasher or in a dishwasher?

A dishwasher. My wife kind of gets it, but the rest of her family, friends, etc who are often the ones cleaning the kitchen after a gathering will toss the knives in the washer along with the wooden spoons and anything else they can find. It's not every time, but a few times a year some of those knives go through the wash cycle.

yeah the one easy mentioned for $86. I have a feeling I'm going to sell it and get the Messermeister 8" chefs. The Togiharu may be a beater J knife, but I need this thing to handle cutting through ears of corn, rough chopping carrots, ice-cream cakes, rock-chopping herbs, getting tossed in the sink and having plates dropped on top of it and what not. It was an impulsive buy that I didn't really research or think too much about. I saw the recommendation and for some reason just clicked BUY. I already have a nice gyuto.

yeah the one easy mentioned for $86. I have a feeling I'm going to sell it and get the Messermeister 8" chefs. The Togiharu may be a beater J knife, but I need this thing to handle cutting through ears of corn, rough chopping carrots, ice-cream cakes, rock-chopping herbs, getting tossed in the sink and having plates dropped on top of it and what not. It was an impulsive buy that I didn't really research or think too much about. I saw the recommendation and for some reason just clicked BUY. I already have a nice gyuto.

Oh...I would like to have some non GERMAN beaters at home was looking forward to your review

I am so freakin OCD sometimes. I just ordered the 9" Messer... I'm going to keep the Togi for my traveling case. I'll take some pictures of it later.

You could do a lot worse than that Messermeister. A 9" is on my list, but not today's list. FWIW the bread knife in the series is (IMHO) way better than the Henckels, Wustie options and I prefer it to the Torijo (sp?).

Back