Help me find my next knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael95

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am looking for a few days to add a new knife to my collection and I am curious about what brand should I choose and wether it should be a santoku or a classic chef knife. A friend who happens to share my passion about knives showed me this little site to help me in my search. I am curious what you think about it, is the info on it accurate? Here it is www.chefkniveslist.com . It is not my site, of course. If there is a problem, I will remove the link from the post. I just want to know If I can trust what it is written in there.
Cheers!!

The handle advice/information is a bit weird as far as what differences the writer is trying to draw. Hardness numbers are either outdated or lowballing by not really referring to most $100 and up J-knives
Do you prep in a cramped space on a small board? If not, chef's is probably going to suit you better and is a more versatile knife

Welcome Michael. A quick scan of the link suggests you'd do better to fill out the questionnaire linked above by Ben. As to santoku vs gyuto, the choice is often somewhat limited by length of knife you're interested in...though there are short gyutos, there aren't that many long santokus. Most will likely suggest a chef's knife to start.

Cheers

I've seen worse knife advice, but you can definitely do a lot better here. Hard for me to keep a straight face while reading the section where they were talking up Global* knives, which to me are really meh (I'd even much rather use a Shun classic). Fill out the questionnaire to communicate to us your preferences so we can start pointing you in a particular direction.

*If by some reason, you are somehow intrigued by stainless handle J-knives, don't want to discourage you from all of them, just Global. Can recommend to you in this case Tojiro Pro or Masahiro MVS, bother of which are quite good (I'm traveling with a 180 mm Tojiro Pro DP gyuto/chef knife right now).

Thank you all for your help. I really apreciate it. I`ll take the survey right away. What do you think about Kikuichi knives?

The handle advice/information is a bit weird as far as what differences the writer is trying to draw. Hardness numbers are either outdated or lowballing by not really referring to most $100 and up J-knives
Do you prep in a cramped space on a small board? If not, chef's is probably going to suit you better and is a more versatile knife

No, space is not a problem:))) What hardness would be good though?

What do you think about Kikuichi knives?

Best not to get one. They mostly contract other makers for the knives and then just put their name on them. Some of their knives like Kikuichi Hammered Damascus or Kikuichi Gyuto Gold are available under different names at a fraction of the price. In the truly egregious case of the Gold, those are just Tojiro DP, but Kikuichi's price is like over 5x, no joke.

What hardness would be good though?

In general if it's a person's first J knife, it's best to not yet get into the powder steels or harder carbon steels, which are about HRC62 and up and are intended mainly for advanced users. A lot of knives recommended to start are in the HRC58-60 range, and these are often suitable from beginners to pros, i.e. not to be thought of as only entry level.

No prohibitions about posting a link but what a link it is. Opening to a pic of Globals? The Wusties are ok if you like German knives but a Chroma??? A Chroma? On a purported knife site? Heresy!

Suggest you fill out the questionnaire as described above. Advice will be provided tailored (usually) to your requirements.

Re: Real knife vs Santoku. The Gyuto is considered more versatile and is probably a better choice for first "good" knife. Like many things knife it ends up being subjective. Many threads on here discuss differences in more detail.

Good luck in the search.

I've found whatever makers report to be like 59/60/61 HRC fine for beginning in J-knives as well. Whatever the hardness range of Tojiro DP, Tanaka VG10, and Gesshin Uraku Stainless (AUS10) are, with the Uraku being the toughest of the three

I am sorry it took me so long to respond, but I am having problems with some money dissapearing from my bank account, and it seems I won`t be buying a knife any time soon.

I am sorry it took me so long to respond, but I am having problems with some money dissapearing from my bank account, and it seems I won`t be buying a knife any time soon.

That sucks...usually when $ disappears from my account it is knife related;), come back when you get things fixed. Good luck!

I went to the bank and made a complaint. They are investigating the matter now, but it could take more than a month, so not so good news.

Back