Hey. My name is Michael Miller and I am learning to make knives.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you'll like working with the bakelite. I've just started using some in my handles and it's real easy to work with, just don't overheat it.

Be well,
Mikey

I did wa conversions on a myabi and a Lauderhung 14" chaf's knife. I removed the bolsters, kiritsuked the tips and did the wa handles.

The Myabi is in cocobolo and the Lauderhung is in ironwood. Both have micarta ferrules.

As always sorry about the pictures.
Before
20140226_135953.jpg

After
20140227_112509.jpg

20140227_112516.jpg

20140227_112521.jpg

20140227_112534.jpg
Dog not included.

I am digging the handles by the way nice job! I always appreciate something that is out of the norm with the cool looking micarta ferrules

Thanks. And here I was thinking that these were pretty close to the traditional 2 piece handle. :lol2:

They are pretty close to the traditional 2 piece handles but they just look different to me and you did a good job of taking that into your own vision

Michael, the only thing you still need to improve — your camera. Everything else rocks! :doublethumbsup:

They are pretty close to the traditional 2 piece handles but they just look different to me and you did a good job of taking that into your own vision
Thanks. I understand now. I really like micarta it has a lot of character but is also very simple if you need it to be
Michael, the only thing you still need to improve — your camera. Everything else rocks! :doublethumbsup:

It is on a wish list. Thanks.

Mike,

First time, in a while, I have noticed this thread. Super happy with both conversions. Miyabi = onion destroyer. Lauderhung, thinned considerably = BAK, prep monster workhorse. :cool2:

How did you get started in knife mailing? Did you have someone show you? From your posts I think you have come a long way very fast. I am impressed!
Your handle making is awesome and down the road I would love to have you work on a Sab. or something for me.

I am moving to NC and I plan to hit the thrift stores and garage sale to find a suitable knife.

Keep up the great work. Maybe try your hand at a Nakiri?

Back