Hidden gems of the knife world

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@TokushuKnife carries them, though currently sold out. CKTG currently has a 120 tall petty and 240 suji in stock under the Enjin brand, both in SRK8 (w#2 clone).

There is a 165 santoku available here in b2: https://mikazuki-knives.com/product...165-with-magnolia-handle-buffalo-horn-ferrule

The b2 gyutos seem to be sold out pretty much everywhere. Guess we're in a restock phase.
Rumor has it we are getting some gyutos in a month or two. Possibly some 240mm!

I like my Dao Vua (v3) 52100 double-bevel honesuki 150mm. I didn't like their gyuto but this one, I'm keeping for a long time. At <$70 from Tokushuknife, it's a good value. I use it for breaking down poultry, lamb racks, branzino, and as a tall petty at work.

I like my Dao Vua (v3) 52100 double-bevel honesuki 150mm. I didn't like their gyuto but this one, I'm keeping for a long time. At <$70 from Tokushuknife, it's a good value. I use it for breaking down poultry, lamb racks, branzino, and as a tall petty at work.

The 52100s aren't bad at all, I had fun with a tall nakiri

@TokushuKnife carries them, though currently sold out. CKTG currently has a 120 tall petty and 240 suji in stock under the Enjin brand, both in SRK8 (w#2 clone).

There is a 165 santoku available here in b2: https://mikazuki-knives.com/product...165-with-magnolia-handle-buffalo-horn-ferrule

The b2 gyutos seem to be sold out pretty much everywhere. Guess we're in a restock phase.

Rumor has it we are getting some gyutos in a month or two. Possibly some 240mm!

Attention @SwampDonkey !

Last edited:
The original Kaeru 210mm gyuto with machi was a real gem....
Kaeru.JPG

The matchi makes it special...

Might be controversial but I've been really liking my knives from kitchenknivesid they are based in Indonesia and the knives are mostly made out of recycled spring steel similar to 5160, I love how they round the choil and spine which is surprising cause most of their knives cost like 40 USD

The JCK CarboNext series, a real hidden gem, would be a great knife set to gift a chef just starting out. Great quality at a good price.
Agree. Got recently two with the ES-option, extra sharp. Very decent edges, which is remarkable, as usually unpacking in this price range is immediately followed by thinning and sharpening.
P.S. Makes an excellent introduction to sharpening of asymmetric blades.

Last edited:
Will be getting my first munetoshi soon… what should I expect?
Knife order matches naming in vid. The Munetoshi potato sums it up.

Did you order from JNS or a different vendor? I've got 240s from both, they're a little different profile but ground similarly, though my nakiri was a thicker convex. Great food release, sturdy as hell, some of the best white 2 I've tried for edge retention, feels better on stones than the similarly retentioned Mazaki. Tip is more slippy than you'd first think. Just a great all-rounder. My gyuto cladding is barely reactive, so it's my travel knife. The nakiri was a bit more but stable quickly.

Last edited:
Agree. Got recently two with the ES-option, extra sharp. Very decent edges, which is remarkable, as usually unpacking in this price range is immediately followed by thinning and sharpening.
P.S. Makes an excellent introduction to sharpening of asymmetric blades.
The JCK Extra Sharp option is a no brainer. What is really great is you can have many of the JCK knives sharpened with a left or right hand bias. This is not a single bevel but the double bevel see the illustration for the right handed 70/30 double bevel, Left handed would be 30/70. What I like about this grind is any handedness can use it. With this and the very reasonable cost this is what has endeared me to JCK. I have been told by chefs that make a living with knives like this is to maintain the 70/30 or 30/70 they send them to a professional sharpening service familier with Japanese knives. at least once a year.

Screenshot 2024-04-25 at 08.55.19.png

Last edited:
The JCK Extra Sharp option is a no brainer. What is really great is you can have many of the JCK knives sharpened with a left or right hand bias. This is not a single bevel but the double bevel see the illustration for the right handed 70/30 double bevel, Left handed would be 30/70. What I like about this grind is any handedness can use it. With this and the very reasonable cost this is what has endeared me to JCK. I have been told by chefs that make a living with knives like this is to maintain the 70/30 or 30/70 they send them to a professional sharpening service familier with Japanese knives. at least once a year.

View attachment 317437
I don't think it is a good idea to follow the picture: would lead to extreme clockwise steering. I guess the angles have been inverted. It's certainly to be avoided to transform a right-biased into a knife for left-handers. You may change the edge, even recenter it, but the fundamentals remain: a flat left face and a convexed right one. https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/a-basic-explanation-of-asymmetry.33951/

Cigarette smell from Maksim
is it really? its so pungent, I've lived with smokers and its not even close. Unless he is like blowing it directly into the boxes and closing? may be like its stored right above where he smokes and it just marinates in it 24/7?

Honestly, too scared to ask too.

is it really? its so pungent, I've lived with smokers and its not even close. Unless he is like blowing it directly into the boxes and closing? may be like its stored right above where he smokes and it just marinates in it 24/7?

Honestly, too scared to ask too.
Tobacco suppositories

I don't think it is a good idea to follow the picture: would lead to extreme clockwise steering. I guess the angles have been inverted. It's certainly to be avoided to transform a right-biased into a knife for left-handers. You may change the edge, even recenter it, but the fundamentals remain: a flat left face and a convexed right one. https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/threads/a-basic-explanation-of-asymmetry.33951/
You made me realize like everything else with Japanese edged tools there is so much to learn.
Found this: Bevels & Grind

Quite different from your picture. Here, the left angle to the face is larger than the right one.
I noticed this right off but I have learned there are different offset grinds. I would imagine if you are a top chef in Japan you would have specific grinds used for specific jobs. This is so interesting. I sure wish I had known this stuff at the beginning when I started to add Japanese kitchen knives to my collection.

In the hidden gem area the edge grind is the making a silk purse out of a canvas sack. Sending the cutlery version of a "barn find" to a top rated sharpening service, or if you have the equipment to regrind it yourself. Except for these different Japanese edge geometries I have done this with kitchen knives I have found in abandoned Wyoming line shacks. These line shack knives are almost always giant Chef's knives. My sister has the best of what I restored.

1167340105-asym_angles.jpg

Just wanted to echo some of what has been said about Sakai Ichimonji and Masahiro Bessaku. I have a deba that I bought from Sakai a while back for like $100 new (might even have been <$100) and can't see any reason to ever buy another deba. The Bessakus are like $80, my short suji seems to hold its edge well and I find it easy to get quite sharp with the heavy asymmetry. I also like their classic large brass rivet and rosewood look.

Latest posts

Back