Hinoki alert

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just a heads up in case anyone's interested, but I was surprised to find a pretty decent hinoki board on amazon for relatively cheap.

hinoki.jpg

It's 19.75" x 12" x 1.2" for $89.95. For comparison's sake, the large size shun hinoki board is 17.75" x 11.75" x .75", and it costs $79.95. So for just $10 more than the large shun, you get about 28 square inches more cutting real estate and 60% extra thickness to help resist warping. Best part: the reverse side doesn't have that brand mark.

Also got these nonslip rubber feet to attach so that there's airflow. So far I haven't actually screwed them in, just rest the board on four of them while cutting and drying. It stays completely in place because of the weight and friction and this way I can keep both sides of the board for eventual use.

washers.jpg

The board also smells amazing and is nice and soft for cutting. Only problem is that the wonderful smell went away after I oiled and waxed it.

H4.png

It's perfectly flat and straight. The slight appearance of curve at the near edge in the above picture is either an optical illusion from the grain pattern or the result of lens distortion. Or both?

Enjoy 👍

Last edited:
Just a heads up in case anyone's interested, but I was surprised to find a pretty decent hinoki board on amazon for relatively cheap.

View attachment 304663

It's 19.75" x 12" x 1.2" for $89.95. For comparison's sake, the large size shun hinoki board is 17.75" x 11.75" x .75", and it costs $79.95. So for $10 more you get a substantial increase in cutting real estate and 60% extra thickness to help resist warping. Best part: the reverse side doesn't have that brand mark.

Also got these nonslip rubber feet to attach so that there's airflow. So far I haven't actually screwed them in, just rest the board on four of them while cutting and drying. It stays completely in place because of the weight and friction and this way I can keep both sides of the board for eventual use.

View attachment 304664

The board also smells amazing and is nice and soft for cutting. Only problem is that the wonderful smell went away after I oiled and waxed it.

View attachment 304673

It's perfectly flat and straight. The slight appearance of curve at the near edge in the above picture is either an optical illusion from the grain pattern or the result of lens distortion. Or both?

Enjoy 👍
Not bad if you need one now. If you wait for the shun warehouse sale, similar size can be found for $50-60. I like the minimally intrusive brand markings though on this one.

View attachment 304663

It's 19.75" x 12" x 1.2" for $89.95. For comparison's sake, the large size shun hinoki board is 17.75" x 11.75" x .75", and it costs $79.95. So for just $10 more than the large shun, you get about 28 square inches more cutting real estate and 60% extra thickness to help resist warping. Best part: the reverse side doesn't have that brand mark.

View attachment 304664

View attachment 304673

Enjoy 👍
I have this. Bought it about a year ago. Super soft and light. Has taken a beating because I grab it more often than my Hasegawa and end-grain board. 👍

Last edited:
How's the warping on this board as it is a single plank?

I didn’t oil it because I read somewhere that you don’t have to do this with hinoki. Although there were instructions on the box to oil it. Still smells good!

I didn’t oil it because I read somewhere that you don’t have to do this with hinoki. Although there were instructions on the box to oil it. Still smells good!

I think that oil and wax probably still help with stain resistance even if they're not strictly necessary to keep the board from drying out.

What if we mixed a couple drops of this stuff in with the mineral oil 🤔

View attachment 304771

Oh we bougie 🤩

is there a difference in the wood from a hinoki board versus aomori hiba? they look identical, both claim to be from the cypress family. but the Aomori hiba is claimed to be way more anti-microbial, and hinoki boards have mold warnings. am I just reading bad descriptions of the same wood? they both are apparently quite fragrant and lightweight. I've seen the laminated hinoki's at bernal cutlery and I liked how lightweight they were but they weren't very fragrant.

is there a difference in the wood from a hinoki board versus aomori hiba? they look identical, both claim to be from the cypress family. but the Aomori hiba is claimed to be way more anti-microbial, and hinoki boards have mold warnings. am I just reading bad descriptions of the same wood? they both are apparently quite fragrant and lightweight. I've seen the laminated hinoki's at bernal cutlery and I liked how lightweight they were but they weren't very fragrant.

I don't know, personally, but there's some feedback in this thread from members who have used both:

https://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/...noki-and-aomari-hibari-chopping-boards.48267/

Back