D. Martell Hiromoto Re-Handle Group Buy #4 Status

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pictures Steve. Hey which handle do you like the most?

Misono....kauri...sure! :)

Thanks Dave.

The gyuto is of course 240 not 270, is it possible to edit my post?

I normally have the whole blade and handle lightly oiled with your camellia oil and they look much shinier, deeper and lustrous, but I wiped them clean for those pics. The edge of the gyuto is not as dark as it looks in the pics, and is more blue, not brown.

Dave your handles are all more comfortable than any of my other knives, I haven't held more comfortable handles. Not to mention the best looking. For some feedback on the handles, I'll be as critical as I can though :)

I was a pro chef for 10 years, traveled the world, worked in Michelin start kitchens, bought many dozens of knives, but never Japanese sadly, always German or French.

I have big hands, XL glove size, but not massive hands, normal size for 6ft and 200 lb i guess.

I know you're limited by the size and shape of the tang the blades come with too.

Sharpening requires a lower angle than I'm used to but the steel is great to work and holds very well.

The 150mm Petty feels the right size for that size knife, could be a tiny bit thinner and taller to give more of an oval/rectangular section, less round. If the sides were a little flatter it would index more easily in the hand when first gripping it with slippery hands.

The next 3 are all used in a pinch grip mostly anyway so the handle shape is far less important, but for a traditional grip here are my thoughts:

The 190mm Santoku was my previous favorite, it didn't feel too small until I got the gyuto. The Santoku could have a bigger kick on the end for the little finger to rest against. Otherwise great.

The 240 Gyuto is my new favorite. It fills my hand and feels the most right. The sides are deeper so your finger pads rest on the left side of the handle more securely, on a flat, less rounded surface. The palm swell fills my hand. My little finger sits in the notch before the kick, between the 2nd and 3rd pins, and against the kick, very comfortable.

300mm Sujihiki feels great for that style knife. plenty of length. You couldn't make it much deeper/higher as the blade is not deep. Don't want knuckles touching the board :) I can't really criticize the handle shape considering it's a slicer and used with slower more careful strokes anyway. It does feel nice and I think it suits the blade very well.

I'll shoot you an email about the Misono. :)

Hope that helps!

Steve.

What amazes me is that, before stabilizing, these kauri blanks all looked the same, no difference in color. Clearly, the stabilizing process changed that profoundly. I think I will have to make one from unstabilized wood, jut to see what it will look like when done.

Stefan

What amazes me is that, before stabilizing, these kauri blanks all looked the same, no difference in color. Clearly, the stabilizing process changed that profoundly. I think I will have to make one from unstabilized wood, jut to see what it will look like when done.

Stefan

Well they certainly look hugely different now! You wouldn't guess they are the same species, I love the variation.

The petty has the most chatoyancy, I took a quick video to try and show it. Other pieces are a solid color but this and the 300mm change color in the light:

[video=youtube;vZ96H8j3hXE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZ96H8j3hXE[/video]

Thanks Dave.

The gyuto is of course 240 not 270, is it possible to edit my post?

I normally have the whole blade and handle lightly oiled with your camellia oil and they look much shinier, deeper and lustrous, but I wiped them clean for those pics. The edge of the gyuto is not as dark as it looks in the pics, and is more blue, not brown.

Dave your handles are all more comfortable than any of my other knives, I haven't held more comfortable handles. Not to mention the best looking. For some feedback on the handles, I'll be as critical as I can though :)

I was a pro chef for 10 years, traveled the world, worked in Michelin start kitchens, bought many dozens of knives, but never Japanese sadly, always German or French.

I have big hands, XL glove size, but not massive hands, normal size for 6ft and 200 lb i guess.

I know you're limited by the size and shape of the tang the blades come with too.

Sharpening requires a lower angle than I'm used to but the steel is great to work and holds very well.

The 150mm Petty feels the right size for that size knife, could be a tiny bit thinner and taller to give more of an oval/rectangular section, less round. If the sides were a little flatter it would index more easily in the hand when first gripping it with slippery hands.

The next 3 are all used in a pinch grip mostly anyway so the handle shape is far less important, but for a traditional grip here are my thoughts:

The 190mm Santoku was my previous favorite, it didn't feel too small until I got the gyuto. The Santoku could have a bigger kick on the end for the little finger to rest against. Otherwise great.

The 240 Gyuto is my new favorite. It fills my hand and feels the most right. The sides are deeper so your finger pads rest on the left side of the handle more securely, on a flat, less rounded surface. The palm swell fills my hand. My little finger sits in the notch before the kick, between the 2nd and 3rd pins, and against the kick, very comfortable.

300mm Sujihiki feels great for that style knife. plenty of length. You couldn't make it much deeper/higher as the blade is not deep. Don't want knuckles touching the board :) I can't really criticize the handle shape considering it's a slicer and used with slower more careful strokes anyway. It does feel nice and I think it suits the blade very well.

I'll shoot you an email about the Misono. :)

Hope that helps!

Steve.

Hi Steve,
I just changed the 270 to 240 in your post above.

Thanks for the detailed feedback.....this is GREAT stuff! I've made notes on everything you said and will use it all to help get better as time goes on.

I'll check my emails in a minute.

Thanks again,
Dave

Stefan

I would love to see how an unfinished block finishes up. You should just sand one side real fine and buff and see what happens. BTW, the magic on the stabilized versions doesn't happen until 600x+ grit.

Latest posts

Back