Hiromoto stops

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe things will change. For a long time Herder in Solingen had the only master of the technique called "blaupließten" left in Solingen and the world (Wilfried Fehrekamp) and it was expected his art would die out with him. But interest in high quality knife making revived and he was able to take on and train some apprentices. I recently bought a 1922 series chef's knife for my collection and the grind was flawless, he trained them well.

as for me, I just bought a 150mm AS Petty and a 210mm AS Gyuto! Can't wait to have them!

I'm tempted to pick one up before they run out but there'd be no point if they're too asymmetric for a lefty; could anyone advise on how pronounced the asymmetry is on Hiromoto knives?

On a related note, do they run true to the stated length?

If I were left-handed I wouldn't go for a Hiromoto gyuto unless specially ordered which is now out of the question. Fairly asymmetric. Expect stiction issues with the relatively flat left face. They run a bit short. The size reflects rather the distance from tip to bolster.

Hiromotos are pretty right handed asymmetric (at least 70/30). Maybe a lefty user/owner can chime in to say if it's an issue or not.

I'm tempted to pick one up before they run out but there'd be no point if they're too asymmetric for a lefty; could anyone advise on how pronounced the asymmetry is on Hiromoto knives?

On a related note, do they run true to the stated length?

It's definitely pronounced.

I don't know if I'd say they're too asymmetric, it's treated me pretty well, but if I had to do it again as a lefty, I would get something different. Food release is pretty poor, like most Japanese knives for us, but I had no issues with steering OOTB. I did face some after repeated sharpening, but I'm sure that's as much of a technique issue. It was easily fixed. I've tinkered with it a lot and so it's been a good learning experience, but its geometry does work against lefties...

Edit: I'll also say that I've never felt the Hiromoto AS to be chippy or brittle. I have not babied mine at all and never had any issues. It feels like it's much more on the softer/more durable side. But I don't feel like its edge retention (in a professional environment at least) is magical either.

Edit: I'll also say that I've never felt the Hiromoto AS to be chippy or brittle. I have not babied mine at all and never had any issues. It feels like it's much more on the softer/more durable side. But I don't feel like its edge retention (in a professional environment at least) is magical either.
If I remember correctly Hirmoto hardens AS to something around 60HRC, while many other AS blades are more like 63+HRC. So yea, it should be on a softer side if the previous is correct

yeah... its on the softer side for sure. Thats why you can see blue #2 from other makers with significantly better edge retenion. Still a great knife though... i have quite a few in my personal collection (though they get admittedly less use now days)

its a function of what the steel is designed for...
blue super contains higher carbon content than other common hitachi steels, along with more chromium and tungsten. Because of that, it tends to be a higher hardness. Also, it tends to have a higher volume of larger carbides. Its designed to have the best edge retention, but that comes at the cost of brittleness, greater difficulty in sharpening, and decreased structural stability when compared to the other common carbon steels by hitachi. I prefer steels that sharpen more easily and have greater structural stability, while being less brittle... even if that costs me a bit in edge retention. For example, blue #1 can be a great steel.

Also, depending on the knife type, my preference in steels/heat treatments will vary.

This is not to say aogami super is not a good knife for kitchen knives... just not my personal preference.

Can Jon or anyone else chime in on why AS is more difficult to sharpen?

My thoughts are that steels of a higher hardness containing added chromium, tungsten, etc., would just take slightly longer to sharpen, and not necessarily be more difficult. My techniques don't change much when sharpening different steels other than things like angles, pressures, and stones I use. So I am assuming I am missing something here. What changes in technique must be applied when sharpening this steel at a high hardness or other steels with larger carbides?

Thanks.

Can Jon or anyone else chime in on why AS is more difficult to sharpen?

My thoughts are that steels of a higher hardness containing added chromium, tungsten, etc., would just take slightly longer to sharpen, and not necessarily be more difficult. My techniques don't change much when sharpening different steels other than things like angles, pressures, and stones I use. So I am assuming I am missing something here. What changes in technique must be applied when sharpening this steel at a high hardness or other steels with larger carbides?

Thanks.
in my mind, more time consuming=more difficult

higher carbon generally equals higher hardness, which takes more time

higher hard/large carbide volume due to alloying elements also tends to equate to more time on the stones

This thread inspired me to push the DT ITK aside over the weekend and spend some time with my Dave M-treated Hiro AS gyuto. It made quick work of some onions and garlic. I really need to pull this one out of the block a little more often.

received my AS today. I got to fully understand the expression "scary sharp".

Dangit caved and bought a 270mm hirimoto AS gyuto maybe next time I'll make it 8 days
:D

Mr Nagao, maker of the Hiromoto knives, has ended production of his regular series of Ginsang-3, Aogami Super and VG-10 Damascus knives, as Mr Koki Iwahara confirmed.

Aww. That's too bad.

You won't be able to recommend a new Hiromoto to nearly every single member once the stock is sold out. You might actually have to buy and try some new knives.

Yes I did get the honyaki. At this price range I got what I was expecting. The knife weighs 234 g for a 240mm. 48.5 mm tall. The steel is excellent and gets very sharp. It's sharpness is only matched by a gesshin honyaki suji that I have. It wasn't too difficult to sharpen. I started at 500 and set my bevels. About 10 degrees on the right and 6 or 7 on the left. Held its edge for a shift at work. Was brought back to shave sharp after a couple stops. This knife is flat on the left side (when looking down at the spine) and convex on the right side. It wedges in food you would expect it to, carrots, potatoes, leeks, etc. It needs to be thinned out. The spine and choil are not rounded. Handle is probably black stamina wood as the other hiromoto lines. It's flush , it does the job. It feels really good when cutting. It's one of those knives that you will need to put a bit of work into and maybe slap on a custom handle. I don't forsee myself getting a knife to replace this one.

Edit: forgot to add that the Hamon is barely visible at the right angle. I personally don't care but thought you'd like to know

Just went back to JCK after a long while and saw this notice on the site, a real shame as others have said.

I first bought an AS 180mm Gyuto several years ago and it was a fantastic knife, I found the balance between ease of sharpening and edge retention to be well judged because as noted in the thread it isn't quite as hard as this steel can be, so for someone of good but still improving sharpening skills it was a knife I could get great sharpness from despite having more to learn about exploiting a knives full potential.

I sold that one as part of my early exploration of Japanese knives but I've got another on the way, and this time I'll really be able to get the best out of it, still a great shame that these knives will end with the current maker.

It's not just hiromoto facing this issue , he didn't have a successor to take over his business , not all the makers kids follow the family business , if I was single and little younger I would be knocking on his door to take me as an apprentice ;)
Takeda San doesn't have a son to pass in his business either but I think Yousui Nakanishi may be the driving force in future for him

Just picked up a 240 from cktg. Probably beat it up and then send to dave to spa

It's not just hiromoto facing this issue , he didn't have a successor to take over his business , not all the makers kids follow the family business , if I was single and little younger I would be knocking on his door to take me as an apprentice ;)
Takeda San doesn't have a son to pass in his business either but I think Yousui Nakanishi may be the driving force in future for him

It would be a sad day if Takeda ever closed shop.

If he (Takeda) closed I would buy two more old stock just for backup.

How can you buy old stock. I have an old 270 mm which I adore. I'd buy a petty if I know it'll be similar to older production knives.

Back