Homemade Ice Cream

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Made a butter" scotch" Gelato with Lagavulin once and it was .....AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sounds great, I made a white chocolate with Lagavulin a few years ago, not bad either. Best of all, you gotta taste the product while making it :)

Stefan

Ok, bump of an old thread.

Once again, I have gotten the ice cream urge in the middle of 'the cold' season.

Today's ice cream was probably my tastiest ever. I had frozen some rhubarb from the summer, so I made a rhubarb ice cream and a macha tea/pistachio crumble to go over the top. It was outstanding, and I need to write down the recipe before I forget how I did it.

k.

We served cranberry frozen yogurt at the thanksgiving table along with a peach mango and lemon raspberry swirl. My kids pick the flavors.

Once again, I have gotten the ice cream urge in the middle of 'the cold' season.

Today's ice cream was probably my tastiest ever. I had frozen some rhubarb from the summer, so I made a rhubarb ice cream and a macha tea/pistachio crumble to go over the top. It was outstanding, and I need to write down the recipe before I forget how I did it.

k.

Good thread to bump :)
And you should definitely write down that recipe before you forget it!

On another note, my ice cream maker died on me, it was a model with the freezing bowl. So now, I am looking into a model with a compressor, what do you look for in terms of specs when you're buying an ice cream maker?

So Drinky, did you actually try doing a siracha icecream? I envisaged a siracha-chocolate version - something like a Thai-Mexican hybrid. Ha Ha!

Anyone try cinnamon (just a bit), nutmeg (less than a bit) and real vanilla?

Coconut with some finely scraped coconut flesh and a bit of coconut milk added is also fantastic.

Not for most occidentals but durian icecream made with actual durian flesh and not the artificial flavour is really good. Durian icecream with a bit of coconut milk is even better!

Many westerners turn their noses up at the "smell" but I think this is to some extent a self perpetuating myth. Admittedly durian has a strong distinct smell but the perjoratives of latrine etc is in my opinion a bit over the top. It reminds me of some Asians turning their noses up at strong cheese using more or less the same perjorative terms. Of course, to each their own and I do respect that some foods, taste and smells are just too much "out there". I admire many on this Forum who seem to be very adventurous in trying all sorts of foods from everywhere.

On another note, my ice cream maker died on me, it was a model with the freezing bowl. So now, I am looking into a model with a compressor, what do you look for in terms of specs when you're buying an ice cream maker?

Funny thing, this here is my Christmas present: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UKLUFS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 I looked around a bit, ignored all the you-get-what-you-pay-for thoughts, decided I will make good use of it but don't need a professional output level machine - and ordered the Cuisinart, just couldn't resist the price and told my folks that's what I want. People seem happy enough with it if you can trust the feedback.

Stefan

Last edited by a moderator:
Funny thing, this here is my Christmas present: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006UKLUFS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20 I looked around a bit, ignored all the you-get-what-you-pay-for thoughts, decided I will make good use of it but don't need a professional output level machine - and ordered the Cuisinart, just couldn't resist the price and told my folks that's what I want. People seem happy enough with it if you can trust the feedback.

Stefan
Stefan, that was a great choice. We bought one a couple years ago and it's been a good machine. Not having to screw around with pre-freezing is nice. The capacity is on the small side though; we often have to churn the gelato/ sorbet in two batches. But other than that it's all been good/ trouble free.

Last edited by a moderator:
So Drinky, did you actually try doing a siracha icecream? I envisaged a siracha-chocolate version - something like a Thai-Mexican hybrid. Ha Ha!...

I never did get around to it, but thanks for reminding me. I do have some mexican chocolate and moonshine cherries that I am thinking of doing next though.

And Stefan, I just have a regular hand machine and it does me fine -- yours is a Mercedes compared to mine ;) There have been some mixtures that have 'challenged' it a bit, but for the most part I can always get the job done.

k.

Great to hear that my choice is promising. I am not into too many sweet things, and among the few, ice cream is my favorite. And the local gelato or the Haagen Dazs I like are so pricy that $220 for a compressor machine should pay off in the not so distant future. Considering the weight issue, I hope that I will find a few nice frozen yoghurt or sorbet recipes I like and can make at home...

Stefan

k.

I think that posting it here would be a good backup in case you lose the original. :whistling:

Really does sound interesting.

Cheers

I had a lemon sorbet with candied pistachio nuts crumbled on top at Chez Panisse last summer, and it was amazing.

Hope you'll try this again and post the recipe for us!

At that price, it certainly is a good choice and it will pay off very quickly. And remember, you are in full control of the ingredients and their proportions so there are many things you can tweak to make your ice cream lighter

Great to hear that my choice is promising. I am not into too many sweet things, and among the few, ice cream is my favorite. And the local gelato or the Haagen Dazs I like are so pricy that $220 for a compressor machine should pay off in the not so distant future. Considering the weight issue, I hope that I will find a few nice frozen yoghurt or sorbet recipes I like and can make at home...

Stefan

Back