Honestly

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep, one of the one's here is doing something similar. I think they want air conditioning. I'm not kidding.

I think a lot of it has to do with how much risk you are willing to assume. What kind if position you would be leaving, how many people outside the business are depending on your income, how little you are able to live on etc...

Everybody has different thresholds and commitments. If you are comfortable taking the risk and putting in the hours, yeah, why not?

if the foods good why not right?

I hate to say it but I think there are restaurants that do well with crappy food (i.e. - Insert Chain Restaurant here) and restaurants with great food that never make it. Unfortunately it's more than just food these days. Seems like social media seems to keep some restaurants afloat longer than they should have and kill off others.

This is just an observation from a person who doesn't work in the industry.

I hate to say it but I think there are restaurants that do well with crappy food (i.e. - Insert Chain Restaurant here) and restaurants with great food that never make it. Unfortunately it's more than just food these days. Seems like social media seems to keep some restaurants afloat longer than they should have and kill off others.

This is just an observation from a person who doesn't work in the industry.

It's always been more than just food. That's something you HAVE to understand in this business. You can put out great, 'innovative' food consistently and it by no means guarantees you success. Then again really nothing does. Atmosphere, service, location, luck/buzz etc all play a much bigger role than what's going on the plate.

Any restaurant that squeezes in as many tables as it can & turns them quickly while putting out average/decent/mediocre (depending on your perspective) food is going to be much more successful as a business than a place that does one or two turns putting out high end, fine dining, multi-course meals. It's why you see so many established chefs moving towards more casual, tapas, small plates etc concepts.

Helping a chef open a restaurant and then seeing it fail is a good experience for every cook IMO. I know I'm grateful for it because it opened my eyes to many, many things.

Any restaurant that squeezes in as many tables as it can & turns them quickly while putting out average/decent/mediocre (depending on your perspective) food is going to be much more successful as a business than a place that does one or two turns putting out high end, fine dining, multi-course meals.

I certainly see your point. However, it also depends on your definition of "successful".

I certainly see your point. However, it also depends on your definition of "successful".

Of course. When I say successful as a business I mean they make a lot more $$$. And while awards, respect, pride etc are all nice, at the end of the day, a restaurant IS a business.

I'm not saying I'm a huge proponent of that style of restaurants either. I've worked at all different levels and I much prefer working in a chef owned restaurant that really puts pride and care into the food and experience. I'm currently working at a corporate type bistro where we cram people in and pump out mediocre food constantly - and it is soul crushing and a horrible work environment. But it makes a sh&tload of money (that I don't see, of course :biggrin:) and would be the definition of a successful restaurant to many, many people.

Here's the other thing - we have been nominated for national awards and constantly win 'Best in 'Cuisine'' locally plus generally get rave reviews across the board.

What you have to consider is that as cooks, we spend most of our waking hours working with & thinking about food. What makes or breaks dishes/service for us really does not matter to 90% of the folks who eat out. They want their food to arrive promptly & hot. That their fish dish sat in the pass a few extra minutes, dried out, and their veg started to wilt does not matter as much to them as bringing the whole dining room to a halt just to refire the entire table. Not to say we shouldn't care as cooks, but that's the harsh reality of it. The average Joe wants a good time, quality booze, and what they view as a decent deal above all else. That you're cooking the most technically perfect, passionate food does not really matter to them. Just how it is...

The mistake of most is trying to be everything for everyone. This leads to mediocrity across the board. Do a few things that you're passionate about, people will recognize it, and you will become a destination for this product. Otherwise, you will have people requesting you make them steamed chicken with broccoli, and a side of ranch.

Wait...all they have is meatballs? Yah, but it's the best friggin meatball you'll ever eat!

That's what you want.

The mistake of most is trying to be everything for everyone. This leads to mediocrity across the board. Do a few things that you're passionate about, people will recognize it, and you will become a destination for this product. Otherwise, you will have people requesting you make them steamed chicken with broccoli, and a side of ranch.

Wait...all they have is meatballs? Yah, but it's the best friggin meatball you'll ever eat!

That's what you want.

+10000

I'm just throwing this out there.....have you thought about a food truck? It's not a sit down restaurant of course but,

A) it's a way to get your name and cuisine out there
B) create a following
C) less investment
D) very trendy in cities, corporate towns, military bases and college scenes

When we travel to the coast, they are all over with huge lines. The taco truck here on base is only open 5 hours a day but busy the entire time. The BBQ truck is constantly busy as well. Some of the best food I've had has come off a truck. It may be something to think about.

I'm just throwing this out there.....have you thought about a food truck? It's not a sit down restaurant of course but,

A) it's a way to get your name and cuisine out there
B) create a following
C) less investment
D) very trendy in cities, corporate towns, military bases and college scenes

When we travel to the coast, they are all over with huge lines. The taco truck here on base is only open 5 hours a day but busy the entire time. The BBQ truck is constantly busy as well. Some of the best food I've had has come off a truck. It may be something to think about.

I would love to do a food truck but I live by the beach aka the "Shore" to you outsiders lol and even though they would make a killing during the summertime around the beaches they are not permitted and NYC is a lock already there are already so many food trucks out and about there it would be hard to get a following

Back