Honesuki or Petty...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm seriously considering getting a honesuki. I'm a home cook who enjoys breaking down chickens and do two or three in about as many weeks. Currently I use a Wusthof Gourmet 6" cook's knife for it and it does alright but the shape isn't ideal.

I don't do a lot of petty-type work as in in-hand or real detailed work.

I guess the only thing somewhat lingering in my mind is a bot of versatility. I reckon the obvious answer is the petty is more versatile but can a honesuki provide some versatility?

A bit of out loud thinking if you will but also interested in the thoughts of you experienced folks.

Thanks in advance.

I've been watching alot of YouTube videos about yakatori lately and am also considering getting a honesuki. I generally prefer stainless knives but am thinking of getting a carbon for this as it will only be used on chicken. Thinking about getting a Masashi besaku, Masamoto Tsukiji, or a Kikuichi.

I'll jump in and make it even more confusing: What about honesuki's vis-a-vis garasuki's?

Anyway, back on topic! :) I've been using a Misono Swedish carbon honesuki for a few months now and I'm thoroughly impressed. Both by the honesuki shape being so efficient in breaking down chickens, as well as by the Misono. I haven't tried other brands in a honesuki but the Misono just works. You can tell it's a tried and tested design, everything just flows smoothly.

The one thing a honesuki cannot do is go through bones. Perhaps it can, but once you see how sharp it cuts, you'll become a bit hesitant to waste the edge on cutting chicken bones. So for that I just use an old Kiwi beater knife.

See Misono Sweden Steel Series Boning (145mm and 165mm, 2 sizes)

I like my honesuki (I have the Carbonext), but since they're usually quite chunky behind the edge I don't think they necessarily make great petties. Even if they're easy as hell to sharpen the geometry just isn't really there for it. I'll try it on silverskin next time but I have a feeling that a thinner tip would do better.
So I'd lean to them being great for chicken and possibly any other boning tasks (maybe even fish), but I don't really see them doing board work all that great.

I like my honesuki (I have the Carbonext), but since they're usually quite chunky behind the edge I don't think they necessarily make great petties. Even if they're easy as hell to sharpen the geometry just isn't really there for it. I'll try it on silverskin next time but I have a feeling that a thinner tip would do better.
So I'd lean to them being great for chicken and possibly any other boning tasks (maybe even fish), but I don't really see them doing board work all that great.
This I’d 100% agree with. I have separate petty knives. See below my set up, from a 165mm Munetoshi petty at the top all the way to my trusty Herder paring knife.

22A79B05-EDDB-45B3-B820-2E24733F2168.jpeg

Is that a mittelspitz or did you sharpen the hell out of a 'normal' Herder? :)
On the length... if I were to do it a second time I think I'd go for the Misono 165 as well. My only real complaints about my current carbonext is that it's a bit too handle-heavy, and I would have liked the blade to be a little bit longer. I think the Misono 165 would fix both those issues in one go with a slightly longer, heavier blade.

I don't know about Garasukis... they're usually significantly thicker, heavier and do have that little bit of extra length. Can imagine it gets awkward and becomes overkill on the smaller birds that I'm usually doing, but I haven't actually ever tried one.

Is that a mittelspitz or did you sharpen the hell out of a 'normal' Herder? :)

Mittelspitz indeed.. Though look at my mom’s ‘normal’ Herder after probably 15 years of use and sharpening.. And no it wasn’t a birds beak..
F58408F1-92A1-437E-98FB-321842AC5350.png

I'm seriously considering getting a honesuki. I'm a home cook who enjoys breaking down chickens and do two or three in about as many weeks. Currently I use a Wusthof Gourmet 6" cook's knife for it and it does alright but the shape isn't ideal.

I guess the only thing somewhat lingering in my mind is a bot of versatility. I reckon the obvious answer is the petty is more versatile but can a honesuki provide some versatility?

A bit of out loud thinking if you will but also interested in the thoughts of you experienced folks.

Thanks in advance.

The great thing about this hobby/obsession is getting and using a new knife, whether it is a new blade shape, a different steel, or just a knife you've been wanting to try. So if your budget can handle it and you won't get any flak from your S.O., I say go for it.

I've owned a few and the best bang for the buck (IMO) is the Misono Swedish.

Dakota Willison made me a monosteel Honesuki out of 02 carbon tool steel. Very heavy and single bevel. I use it for breaking down chickens and any time where a blade may come in contact with a bone. For example, dividing a rack of lamb or pork ribs. It never comes In contact with a board. As it was really cheap, I don’t mind beating it up and it’s really easy to sharpen.
07D8DFC4-85B4-48EF-AC5E-CFE0E9ABC7D3.jpeg
7DB42CFE-9D56-46A3-AC23-94EE473D33D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Garasuki is for turkey I think

I have both honesuki and garasuki. I find my 180mm garasuki to be nimble enough to work with small (2-2.5lb) chickens, so I say get whichever. It is handier than a honesuki for turkeys due to the size.

If the honesuki and garasuki are ground like they usually are, and not just a triangularly shaped petty, they will be terrible at all tasks not involving butchery-- but that's the point. Don't expect your chicken knife to multitask and you have the right mindset, in my opinion.

You can have fun with a relatively cheap one. I say go Rinkaku from JKI. I wasn't a fan of my stainless Misono honesuki. Go carbon or semi-stainless. Not only are they easier to keep scary sharp, chicken gives them a cool blue patina.

Thanks in advance.
A Honesuki will bring you absolutely no versatility, especially if it's single beveled or asymetric. It's useless for in hand work because of the triangle like shape, blade will be too thick to cut vegetables properly or mincing herbs. It's really made to break down poultry.

A petty (depending on steel and shape) is not really what you are looking for as it's almost never thick enough to handle close to bone work and will often chip due to that.

That said, I love my Honesuki it's perfect for what it's made for.

Hope I helped

Latest posts

Back