Hot Glue hack for handle installs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I might be really late to the party with this one, but wanted to share just in case. I've removed and installed a few handles lately and have been using hot glue for the installs. My process has been to hold the glue stick vertical and use a pocket knife to cut thin slivers off the vertical stick. That process can only be described as sub-optimal. Then I thought what if I melted the glue flat in the oven first and at that point turned to the internet for some answers.

The 1s and 0s did not disappoint and there is a better way. The wisdom of the web suggested to place some glue sticks between folded layers of parchment paper and iron them flat. The glue will melt/smush down in to a thin sheet that, once cooled, will peel right off the parchment paper. At that point you can use scissors and cut into strips like paper. This is way easier and if you cut the strips thin they easily fit down in to the tang hole.

Attachments

• HG1.jpg
    HG1.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 0
  • HG2.jpg
    HG2.jpg
    622.5 KB · Views: 0
  • HG3.jpg
    HG3.jpg
    799.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HG4.jpg
    HG4.jpg
    938.7 KB · Views: 0
  • HG5.jpg
    HG5.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 0
So I actually don't do full strips because I don't like sealing with hot glue.

My process is to use hot glue pellets (cut with knives/scissors) and fill just 1/4-1/3 of the way in bottom. I found that the strips actually hinder the process of trying to perfectly line up the handle with the spine/edge due to either having too much material on one side or another.

once i push in apprx good amount of glue i stick handle in ovan at 160-180 degrees for about 10 min. I don't want to melt the glue just get it soft/malleable. Than heat tang and push in everything should be soft ish to make movement much easier to adjust for a good 5 min or so to give you time to find best position.

Once I get the good install I hold knife until it hardens at that position.

Meanwhile I put a l little beeswax into ovan for like 2~5 min also to just get it soft not melt it. Once it gets doughy I just push as much as possible into gaps to seal than wipe off with paper towel while wax is still warm.

I might be really late to the party with this one, but wanted to share just in case. I've removed and installed a few handles lately and have been using hot glue for the installs. My process has been to hold the glue stick vertical and use a pocket knife to cut thin slivers off the vertical stick. That process can only be described as sub-optimal. Then I thought what if I melted the glue flat in the oven first and at that point turned to the internet for some answers.

The 1s and 0s did not disappoint and there is a better way. The wisdom of the web suggested to place some glue sticks between folded layers of parchment paper and iron them flat. The glue will melt/smush down in to a thin sheet that, once cooled, will peel right off the parchment paper. At that point you can use scissors and cut into strips like paper. This is way easier and if you cut the strips thin they easily fit down in to the tang hole.
Really neat idea. I got annoyed with shaving off the glue strips so I bought some pre-cut pellets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0CMD8BFGP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

What @Bensbites said. I tried cutting and other methods. Melting with glue gun into the tang hole was much easier and melted much easier and evenly for fit up.

Back