Hot Sauces

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is there any chatter about Tabasco?

i love the stuff. but not for the spice. i love how it is vinegar forward. i add vinegar to dishes to add a brightness. it seems to amp of the flavors without making it sour. Tabasco does the same thing. like to a pile of braised greens!!
I have put Tabassco on greens when I don't have my home made vinegar chiltepin pepper sauce. I think it works well. I use Tabasco on breakfast eggs instead of salt.

Surprised the TX contingency hasn’t mentioned Yellowbird on this thread. I like their green serrano pepper sauce a lot. Their Bliss and Vinegar hot sauce is a top 5 of all time for me. Horsetooth out of CO is also really good. I enjoy their chipotle based Smokestack Lightning sauce regularly. Can’t go wrong with Secret Aardvark original. It is my go to habanero condiment. Glad it gets some love on here. There are a million hot sauces out there. I don’t like most of them as they can be way out of balance. Too much vinegar, too much heat, or too much sugar. The few I’ve shared hit the spot nicely without being bland though. I think you can still find the bliss and vinegar wing sauce if you look for it. If you find the hot sauce version buy all that you can… if you don’t end up liking it, send it my way 😛.

I've seen Yellowbird in the stores, and have been tempted to pick some up; I guess I'll have to give it a whirl next time.

Late to this thread. I present Hector's; made in Asheville, NC by the owner of Salsa's. Boring name but truly fantastic Caribbean food. Anyhow the sauce is smokey, umami, almost chocolatey and tobaccoish? Just good sh1t all around.

https://hectorshotsauce.com/
Honestly I'm a big Crystal fan, particularly over Louisiana. They make an extra hot that I can only find in podunk Piggly Wiggly but I like it better for seafood and Cajun food.

I posted this earlier but it's another solid favorite, lots of depth with umami, some smokiness, a whisper of tamarind sweetness to keep you coming back. Pretty hot but worth it

https://www.amazon.com/Pain-Good-Batch-Louisiana-Style/dp/B004EXLD1O

Buy Pepper Sauce – Palo Alto Firefighters Pepper Sauce
i really like this palo alto sauce. i think my favorite is the hab (XX) version, but i can't remember why i liked it more than the ghost (XXX). might be worth a revisit. anyways, if you have ever had any fondness for taco bell (lol), this reminds me of that but is better in every way. tastier and more complex. i think it reminds me of it because of a similar spice profile (maybe both have cumin or something). this is one of my favorite burrito or rice dish sauces.

i revisited the issue and tried them all side by side.

first of all, none of them are very spicy, but the ghost one has a bit more heat. even a non-spicehead can probably dump the ghost one all over food though.
  • X/jalapeno: strongest spice flavor (like cumin or whatever else is in there). i'll call this flavor the spice base.
  • XX/hab: spice base toned down a bit. slightly hotter. this is my favorite one. most balanced flavor.
  • XXX/ghost: the spice base is in the background and largely replaced by an earthy, smokey flavor. slightly hotter than XX.

I respectfully disagree with you there Michi - some of the very hottest peppers have phenomenally distinct flavours. The ridiculously hot moruga is surprisingly clean and delicate in flavour, the 7-pot probably the most overtly fruity of the lot - like a Habanero, but much more intense and satisfying. You‘ll tend to get these flavours first admittedly, gloriously taking therm in as the heat levels begin to build and rise and rise (and rise). Bite one raw whole and I doubt you’ll miss the serious flavour (and the pain after)

That‘s probably most true of the capsicum chinense types of chillies (habaneros, bonnets, superhots) rather than the quicker growing annuums like the Birds Eye. General rule of thumb is that the heat tends to be cleaner and shorter lived with annuums, but flavour and heat levels are much more muted,

Best pepper sauces are the ones made at home, I ain’t able with all this ‘5 pepper‘ and a quart of vinegar economy nonsense really, as much as like a dash of Louisiana style sauce once in a while. Prefer the old caribbean style recipes in the main - a half kilo of pepper, some vinegar, salt and a little water to taste (add onion, fruit, seasoning as required). Let the peppers speak for themselves.
I completely agree. Made some yellow peppers sauce today. Lime juice, salt, apple cider vinegar, a little rice vinegar, a little pineapple rum and an assortment of yellow peppers. 7 pots, reapers, scorpions and scotch bonnets. 7 pot are the star of the show.
Added some of the fresh peppers to my scallops ceviche too.
251454-IMG-0640.jpeg

There's so many but my personal all 'round favorite is Fletcher's Hot Sauce. Mild heat and great flavor.

https://fletcherssaucecompany.com/

it was out of production for a long time because they couldn't source ingredients to make it, but i finally tried it.

the site doesn't list ingredients for some reason. many sauce companies don't list them, and i think it's pretty dumb.

1713754815131.png

so it's: chili paste, tomato juice, water, chili sauce, vinegar, lemon juice, and <2% other flavorings.

i like it, but it's extremely similar to chili sauces you get from middle eastern and asian restaurants (which i'm a fan of). the ingredients kinda reflect that – all bulk, shelf stable inputs each with its own preservatives etc. i was honestly disappointed to see that based on their "gourmet" branding and pricing.

1713772428515.png

next time i get a chili sauce i like at a restaurant, i should just ask them to see the jug and try to buy it somewhere. i'd love to have a gallon of basic fermented chili vinegar paste to dump on food. you can really slather it on.

Last edited:
to people who have worked at restaurants, what basic, bulk chili sauces have you used from sysco or whatever? what's a good one?

Hot but not overpowering. Great flavor....I love habanero based sauces.

Think maybe you suggested I buy that as a Christmas gift? I did, and got one for myself too. Pretty damn good.

Tried the Yellowbird Blue Agave Sriracha yesterday for the first time and liked it a ton.

Looking forward to making some more fermented ones of my own this summer. Gotta start growing some peppers.

Surprised the TX contingency hasn’t mentioned Yellowbird on this thread. I like their green serrano pepper sauce a lot. Their Bliss and Vinegar hot sauce is a top 5 of all time for me. Horsetooth out of CO is also really good. I enjoy their chipotle based Smokestack Lightning sauce regularly. Can’t go wrong with Secret Aardvark original. It is my go to habanero condiment. Glad it gets some love on here. There are a million hot sauces out there. I don’t like most of them as they can be way out of balance. Too much vinegar, too much heat, or too much sugar. The few I’ve shared hit the spot nicely without being bland though. I think you can still find the bliss and vinegar wing sauce if you look for it. If you find the hot sauce version buy all that you can… if you don’t end up liking it, send it my way 😛.
I absolutely love the Yellowbird Habanero sauce. I have been known to put some on a spoon and eat it.

Here’s a hot sauce that’s waaaaaay too hot to drizzle on to tacos, ramen, etc. More pain than flavor—I use it to heat up curries/stews/soups, stirring in a drop or two. It’s quality stuff, but benefits from being cut. This was a gift from my wife.

IMG_1921.jpeg

Back