How do you professionals choose what knives to use at work?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So far a lot of the responses have fit a fairly small number of categories: smaller knives if space is limited, lower-maintenance knives if frequent interruptions are expected, lower-value knives if someone is likely to mishandle or abuse them. Using just the knives suitable for what's being cut. Making extensive use of favourite knives if and when none of the above apply. And a small number of votes for "Limits? We don't need no stinkin limits!" :)

In other words, so far it appears that they like them large, beautiful, expensive, and high-maintenance, but they tend to run into a few social and practical difficulties as a result, and find themselves occasionally wishing they had chosen differently. :D

Last edited:
So far a lot of the responses have fit a fairly small number of categories: smaller knives if space is limited, lower-maintenance knives if frequent interruptions are expected, lower-value knives if someone is likely to mishandle or abuse them. Using just the knives suitable for what's being cut. Making extensive use of favourite knives if and when none of the above apply. And a small number of votes for "Limits? We don't need no stinkin limits!" :)

In other words, so far it appears that they like them large, beautiful, expensive, and high-maintenance, but they tend to run into a few social and practical difficulties as a result, and find themselves occasionally wishing they had chosen differently. :D
What is your favorite "boring" knife?

my knife roll got pulled from my car last week.

long story short, it used to be:

Konosuke petty/suji/gyuto all non/less reactive flavors.

thicc 180 hap40 santoku for rough jobs

Mac bread

210 Yo beater.

The place I'm at now, I can do p much everything with a beater

Back