How do you sharpen a knife that curves backward?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heliosphere

Reaction score
I have a Victorinox Fibrox boning knife that has a reverse curve near the handle. How do you sharpen that part of the blade? And why is there?

Ive got one of these myself but can't picture what reverse curve you mean...mine is the semi-stiff curved model.

Picture?
If you’re talking about what I think you’re talking about then that part of the blade looks and acts like a sickle. It’s awesome when doing fish.
For sharpening... don’t know. I always use the stones for the rest of the blade and then use a honing rod for the curved part. Well, if I’ve understood you correctly. 😁🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
If this is the area that you’re referring to I don’t bother sharpening it on mine, it’s still fairly sharp because of how little I make contact with food or boards. Not sure what else the reverse curve would mean

Attachments

• F9F632F3-E504-40B3-AF27-77E030EB812F.jpeg
    F9F632F3-E504-40B3-AF27-77E030EB812F.jpeg
    8.9 KB · Views: 14
If this is the area that you’re referring to I don’t bother sharpening it on mine, it’s still fairly sharp because of how little I make contact with food or boards. Not sure what else the reverse curve would mean
That’s what I thought he talked about. Thanks! 👍🏻

Yup, that’s the part I’m talking about.

😬

I definitely don't care about this knife enough to do that to my sharpening stones. :)

You don’t have to destroy them, just round the edges a little bit. That’s often recommended anyway, since a sharp edge can scratch your blade if your angle wobbles and your blade accidentally scrapes on the edge. That said, I’ve only tried to sharpen a recurve like that once or twice, and I’m not sure how successful it was.

I have a Victorinox Fibrox boning knife that has a reverse curve near the handle. How do you sharpen that part of the blade? And why is there?
It's there because it's an inexpensive knife. I wouldn't bother to sharpen it at that point. I do stand stones on edge when I encounter recurved blades but I'm not a water stone user so my stones don't suffer in the same way.
Kind of off topic but this is the kind of training that is received in packing plants. If nothing else skip to the 3:55 mark...........

Back