How many kitchen knives do you own?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Still aiming at getting the lineup down to 8 (good) knives (not counting Victos and useful crap knives). Each time I’m getting there I’m somehow back to 12 in a blink with me none the wiser. Seems to be the magical number. Been going on for over a year… 🤷🏻‍♂️

Edit: I am at 8 right now so let’s see how it goes…🙄

I admire your self-restraint
Thank you, I think it is more being young and not having as much disposable income.

There are still purchases I regret, but I take solace in being able to sell them to get some money back.

Not to mention, the market for fine knives is quite slow (in the sense that it can take up to several months for a vendor acquire stock of whatever knives you have your eye on).

Thank you, I think it is more being young and not having as much disposable income.

There are still purchases I regret, but I take solace in being able to sell them to get some money back.

Not to mention, the market for fine knives is quite slow (in the sense that it can take up to several months for a vendor acquire stock of whatever knives you have your eye on).
Congratulations on being one of the few sane people around these parts. ;)

Congratulations on being one of the few sane people around these parts. ;)
I should also add that I’m relatively new to the hobby compared to others here. I believe I purchased my first stone in the summer of 2021 and my first fine knife later that same year.

But there's absolutely nothing wrong with taking it slow. In the end chasing down the rabbit hole is a hobby that very quickly yields diminishing returns. Taking the time to learn what tools you have, truly get to know them and build proper technique and experience is never truly wasted. At some point I feel like having more knives only diminishes my muscle memory / cutting speed since I'm switching knives too much.

I should also add that I’m relatively new to the hobby compared to others here. I believe I purchased my first stone in the summer of 2021 and my first fine knife later that same year.
Way more restraint than me. I received my first japanese knife on 1/21/21. My second was received 17 days later. Downhill since then.

I’m at 12 and looking to moving down to 8. This forum is makes it very difficult for me to reach that goal!

8 knives including "beater" and paring.

So 6 knives for the "core"
210 - 1 Japanese, 1 western
225 - 1 Japanese, 1 western (although the Japanese is a stretch - a 240 that measures 218)
240 - 1 Japanese, 1 western

I'm trying to be in restraint for 2023 after a lot of activity in the past few years. The right knife might get me to buy, but I have to perceive that it will out-perform something on the rack

Being around you knife guys made me go out and buy 3 new ones, then sell (to coworkers) half of my original Wustoff knives for $5 to $10 each... Oh and all were freshly sharpened of course. This was before I bought new ones and sold old ones... nearly all of these are in storage now due to a major move.

There are so many more I want to buy, but those have to wait until I've bought a new house and buy furniture and stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_5357.JPEG
    IMG_5357.JPEG
    636.2 KB · Views: 0
I think I still have 5-7, lets see: 8" chef, bread, boning, tomato, 3.5 pairing, 5 utility... I think the rest can be replaced, while keeping at least the first 3, and maybe the other 3. Maybe it'll depend on what kind of kitchen I end up with and if I have lots of space to fill haha.

15 (9 gyutos (1 180mm and 8 240mm), 2 petty, 1 santoku, 1 bunka, 1 nakiri and 1 kamagata usuba). I have no plans to buy anymore so I guess I am officially "retired".

Attachments

• 20221121_144852.jpg
    20221121_144852.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
15 (9 gyutos (1 180mm and 8 240mm), 2 petty, 1 santoku, 1 bunka, 1 nakiri and 1 kamagata usuba). I have no plans to buy anymore so I guess I am officially "retired".
Have you considered 210s or 270s?

View attachment 221353

Starting to look like exponential growth... might be time to sell some before I'm buried in knives.

You inspired me to do the same thing, hehe. My data is more crude than yours, but there is certainly a rough similarity. I think we both did a lot to avoid immediate knife shortages. (relieved sigh)

Messer.jpg

2022 was intense, for sure. But hey, let's adopt a balanced view. I also sold one this year!

Last edited:
Back