How many knives do you have?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Double bevel knives:

[2] ~150mm: Masahiro HC Honesuki; Munetoshi Petty

[3] 210mm: Gesshin Ginga W#2 Petty; Shun Kaji SG2 Gyuto; Marko 52100 Petty

[4] 240mm: Gesshin Hide W#2 Gyuto; Sukenari ZDP-189 Gyuto; Mazaki W#2 from first run @ JNS; Catcheside 1.2442 Forged Gyuto

[3] 270mm: Gesshin Ginga W#2 Gyuto; Marko 52100 Gyuto, Gengetsu W#2 Suji

Single bevel (all left handed):

[1] ~150mm: Yoshihiro W#2 Deba

[2] 210mm: Gesshin Uraku W#2 Usuba; Masamoto KA B#2 Usuba

[2] 270mm Gesshin Uraku W#2 Yanagiba and 300mm Masamoto KH B#2 Yanagiba

I've burned through or given away 5 other knives in the last decade. There are a few more floating around the house, plus my wife's knives (who used to cook professionally) which number close to 10 or so. The Marko 210mm petty sees the most use at home. Shun 210mm gyuto and 240mm Sukenari have seen the most use in professional kitchens. The single beveled Masamotos were a gift from a Chef that I worked for and are my most treasured :)
How do you like the 240 Gesshin Hide? I've been waiting for a restock on those.

1701836093972.png

23 total:

10 gyuto (2x210, 1x220, 1x230, 6x240)

4 nakiri
3 bunka
1 santoku
1 sabaki
1 chinese cleaver
1 bread knife
1 western butcher (sabaki has replaced it mostly)
1 meat/bone cleaver

I plan to sell 1 nakiri, 1 bunka, and maybe 2 240s. Everything else I'm sentimental about still :(
Since posting I sold a nakiri, 2 bunka, and 3 240s.

Then promptly bought 1 nakiri, 1 tall nakiri/cleaver, and 2 250s. So still minus 1...paragon of fiscal responsibility I am.

Since posting I sold a nakiri, 2 bunka, and 3 240s.

Then promptly bought 1 nakiri, 1 tall nakiri/cleaver, and 2 250s. So still minus 1...paragon of fiscal responsibility I am.
There are currently 5 (I think?) knives I own that are currently not in my house so I pretend my count is lower.

Can’t wait for when a box comes back with 3 knives and I have to explain I didn’t buy NEW ones, they were just getting new handles & a spa treatment lol

There are currently 5 (I think?) knives I own that are currently not in my house so I pretend my count is lower.

Can’t wait for when a box comes back with 3 knives and I have to explain I didn’t buy NEW ones, they were just getting new handles & a spa treatment lol
🤔

So, what you're saying is and correct me if I'm wrong, but I should:

1. Take all my knives to work?

2. Then buy knives for home?

3. Then bring all my knives home?

4. Buy knives for work?

5. Go to step 1?

Actually I don't know how many knives I have and I don't want to know because I know I have too much. But at the same time I see many knives I like that obviously I don't have.
Moreover, I have centered on buying chef's and gyuto knives and now I noticed I have no Petties.
I cook just at home, so there is not objective reason to have so many knives.

Actually I don't know how many knives I have and I don't want to know because I know I have too much. But at the same time I see many knives I like that obviously I don't have.
Moreover, I have centered on buying chef's and gyuto knives and now I noticed I have no Petties.
I cook just at home, so there is not objective reason to have so many knives.
As a polite person I would never think of you (or myself) as an object, so there is no need for an objective reason. You’re a subject, subjective reasons are good enough.

And there is an equation which says the correct number of gyutos is and will always be (n+1) with n being the current number of gyutos.

As a polite person I would never think of you (or myself) as an object, so there is no need for an objective reason. You’re a subject, subjective reasons are good enough.

And there is an equation which says the correct number of gyutos is and will always be (n+1) with n being the current number of gyutos.
Maybe I have not used the 'objective' word correctly.
I don't think people are objects.

Yeah the answer is definatly wayyy too much. Gotta do some more giveaways for some of these ( maybe comment what knives you guys are interested). the knives behind the second picture are all either rusty or broken knives I've collected from japan that I sharpen, renew and give to people or use. It all kinda began as a hobby. As a Japanese resturant owner I sometimes help out in the store and cook for the customer when I felt like it. ( the ones with handle are my mainly used ones, there's probably about 10 more that I haven't shown that I actually use) And some knives I have them for collection since they're way too precious ( like fuji honyaki, don't really want to scratch the surface) View attachment 264748 View attachment 264747

View attachment 264744View attachment 264745View attachment 264746
Wow very impressive!

Sold my collection 5yrs ago due sickness.
I needed wide knife for safety reasons

Jyuichi Ide aogami #2 180x80mm chuka bocho

2x Tojiro 2rivet pettys.

Now im bout start collection again.
not sure should i just buy takamura & call it a day , or go for 500+ blades🤷🏼‍♀️

Back