how robust is the seasoning on your DuBuyer skillet?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have two Debuyers that I've seasoned multiple times with very thin layers of flaxseed oil. In general I like the way they heat up and cook food but the seasoning does tend to be much more fragile than on my vintage Griswold CI skillets. They do serve different purposes so I treat the Debuyers with some care to ensure the seasoning stays around. Right pan for the right job I guess.

I using two debuyers and I never seasoned. If you use them constantly they will create there on patina, now mine are non stick and basically I can cook all I want on them without any problems!
At my work I use to seasoned caston iron pan because I need to use them from the first day, first with vinegar and then with salt.

Forgive the amateur cook question, but how do you guys clean a seasoned pan? If I use detergent, it loses the seasonining, so I usually wash in hot water then heat over a hot burner on the stove until it smokes. Any thoughts?

If something is really stuck and doesn't come off with just hot water and a soft brush, I do a "pretend" deglaze on the stovetop. Works fine.

Forgive the amateur cook question, but how do you guys clean a seasoned pan? If I use detergent, it loses the seasonining, so I usually wash in hot water then heat over a hot burner on the stove until it smokes. Any thoughts?

That's what I do too. a water deglaze, basically.

Actually, I have to disagree with all that no soap and pampering. Soap, coconut brush with handle(no melting like plastic) and stainless steel wool till the surface is smooth to remove any carbon build up. Counter intuitive but what is left is the real deal robust seasoning. Use it often enough to actually build up seasoning. Sorry there is no shortcut. That flax stuff you insta bake on will crap out sooner or later. I live in a dry area so all I have to do after that is to wipe up the water and store it.

Ya wash it with a brush and hot water NO soap. Wipe the rinse of with soft cloth. Put away still warm and a bit oiled.

Putting back on the stove is pampering and not necessarily.

This. After the washing and wiping procedure I would sometimes let the pan slowly to burn on the stove again to burn the remaining fats/oils to further strengthen it This may make sense at the beginning to speed up the creation of the patina. Over time the patia becames really strong.

EDIT: I only use steel brush (steel wool or how one calls these things). It removes anything that managed to burned on the surface, but can not destroy (or even scratch) the patina layer.

Reviving this thread in hope of an answer. Got a De Buyer Carbone and started seasoning it. I used flaxseed oil that I had on hand - organic, cold pressed and urefined. I use it on cereals as a dietary supplement, store it in the fridge and have never used it for cooking as I thought it lost its health "benefits" when heated.

OK, onto the problem. While trying to season the thing - going slowly, removing the oil between heating etc., I ended up with a gunky, uneven and sticky surface. Did I do something wrong or was it a poor choice of oil? I attacked the pan with a lot of scrubbing using a steel pad then seasoned again with peanut oil (aka groundnut oil) instead. The result was great - really happy with the pan now.

This video was quite useful to me. Essentially you just want to put a small drop of oil on a paper towel, rub that out until it's a really thin layer, burn it in, and repeat. You can do it on the stove but oven also works well.

[video=youtube;xoIO8YOpyN4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoIO8YOpyN4[/video]

Thanks folks.

@bkultra - I used very thin layers of flaxseed. Used the same methodology when I tried with peanut oil and it worked out really well. Still suspect the specific flaxseed oil I used but... watching the video posted by @Jovidah perhaps my mistake was not letting the pan cool completely in between heating. I'd seen the video before but it would appear I'm a slow learner.
:O

Have you tried the America's Test Kitchen method that I've prattled on about before?

[video=youtube;-suTmUX4Vbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suTmUX4Vbk[/video]

Have you tried the America's Test Kitchen method that I've prattled on about before?
Thanks for the tip. I've watched the video but haven't tried oil + salt + potato peel. Happy to try it next time I need to re-season the pan. Looks like fun and a lot quicker to boot!
Still wondering why I had no trouble with peanut oil but failed miserably with the flaxseed. :scratchhead:

Back