How to achieve a Nashiji Finish on stainless clad?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Xenif

Reaction score
How does one go about refinishing a knife with a Nashiji finish? What stones would be involved?

I picked up a Kaeru not too long ago, but the sandblast finish is really not my favourite part of the knife, thought might look pretty awesome with a Nashiji and more character in the clad line, what do you guys think ?

Nashiji finish is from the forging, there might be some convoluted way to impart it but definitely not with stones. The clad line you can't really alter it since it's how it was welded originally, at most you can bring out small details like the small carbon migration lines or when existing some minute delaminations.

Maybe you meant something different with clad line? The clad line is the weld line between the core steel and the cladding.

Also, a picture with an example of what you want to achieve might help clarify things.

Sorry about the confusion

kYGDReR.jpg

On the left is the Kaeru with the sandblast, on the right Is a Tanaka Nashiji finish. I like the Tanakas finish, also like how the clad line looks
So my question really would be how best to try to replicate that Tanaka like finish/line on the Kaeru (if possible at all)

TIA for all the help, still new at this and trying to wrap my head around it still

The Kaeru seems to have sand blasted bevels and something akin to migaki on the blade face. I have not handled one so I don't know if the shinogi line is real or just cosmetic, I still don't think impacting the nashiji texture will be an easy feat but if you just want a uniform texture without a difference between bevels and hire sandpaper is probably the easiest route.

If what you like is the coastline looks of the cladding line in the Tanaka you have absolutely no way to make the Kaeru clad line to look like that. The clad line can at most pop more with etching or stones but that's it, it will stay mostly straight.

The Kaeru seems to have sand blasted bevels and something akin to migaki on the blade face. I have not handled one so I don't know if the shinogi line is real or just cosmetic, I still don't think impacting the nashiji texture will be an easy feat but if you just want a uniform texture without a difference between bevels and hire sandpaper is probably the easiest route.

If what you like is the coastline looks of the cladding line in the Tanaka you have absolutely no way to make the Kaeru clad line to look like that. The clad line can at most pop more with etching or stones but that's it, it will stay mostly straight.
That pretty much answers all my questions, thanks for the help! FWIW,The Kaeru has a cosmetic wide bevel only, the true start of the bevel starts just north of that clad line.

Guess the frog will have a date with some good ol fashion sandpaper :)

Back