How to sell "cheaper" knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
if you cut a piece of fish into two identical pieces with the same knife (lets say a victorinox), but serve it to a kkf nut (who isnt aware what you did) and told them the one on the left was cut with a shig and the one on the right was cut with a richmond, they would tell you the one on the right tasted like crap and that they can see the cells are shiny on the one on the left. someone prove me wrong!

if you cut a piece of fish into two identical pieces with the same knife (lets say a victorinox), but serve it to a kkf nut (who isnt aware what you did) and told them the one on the left was cut with a shig and the one on the right was cut with a richmond, they would tell you the one on the right tasted like crap and that they can see the cells are shiny on the one on the left. someone prove me wrong!

Good point , if you also lets say prep a 9th pan of tomato concasse with sharp knife and also do the identical prep with blunt beater you can see the one that is prepared with better knife will stay nicer longer while the other one starts to disintegrate within few hours

Dang, guess I haven't been on that forum in a long time. He joined up here a few years back and posted a couple of times. My progression was ChefTalk --> KF ITK (primarily due to BDL's writings in ChefTalk) --> KKF.

I owe that guy a lot.

...like a bill for all the $ I have spent on knives the last 6+ years :D
Exact same progression. I hope that guy got a kickback from all the thousands of dollars he's helped people spend on knives.

I've been bitten by the reverse side of that effect, cutting salad ingredients with the nakiri instead of going for the grater/fp/mandolin.... ending up with results that were too fresh and crunchy :) Or with cleanly cut aromatics that you want to stew down taking ages to do so :)

Good point , if you also lets say prep a 9th pan of tomato concasse with sharp knife and also do the identical prep with blunt beater you can see the one that is prepared with better knife will stay nicer longer while the other one starts to disintegrate within few hours

A victorinox doesn't mean a dull knife, if you use a well sharpened victorinox and a shigefusa to cut same food, the food cut by victorinox will last longer, because carbon steel will make the food go bad much faster.
Again, "cheaper" knife doesn't mean dull knife, shig is expensive because it's all hand forged knife, and very well made, shig can't be mass produced, labor cost is high $/knife. It doesn't mean shig is superior to other good knives.
Go and watch a video made by "America's Test Kitchen", that's a professional organization based in Boston, they do all the scientific tests for everything in the kitchen.

From all the knives they tested, the victorinox is highly recommended.

[video=youtube;e9I_OOPpqqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9I_OOPpqqc[/video]

Errr... here's the memo... we consider western food and tools, except anything that has to do with bbq, as generally outdated, naive and inferior here, and will look down on orgs like ATC as being from the other side. (half tongue in cheek, half unapologetic).

"because carbon steel will make the food go bad much faster." - "YOU'RE SERVING RUSTING FOOD!!!" (imagine GR voice...)

Yeah but this is not my point and i also feel panda was being sarcastic or somehow facetious

That's just the way it is. Reality

A victorinox doesn't mean a dull knife, if you use a well sharpened victorinox and a shigefusa to cut same food, the food cut by victorinox will last longer, because carbon steel will make the food go bad much faster.
Again, "cheaper" knife doesn't mean dull knife, shig is expensive because it's all hand forged knife, and very well made, shig can't be mass produced, labor cost is high $/knife. It doesn't mean shig is superior to other good knives.
Go and watch a video made by "America's Test Kitchen", that's a professional organization based in Boston, they do all the scientific tests for everything in the kitchen.

From all the knives they tested, the victorinox is highly recommended.

[video=youtube;e9I_OOPpqqc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9I_OOPpqqc[/video]

I have been a pro for 20 years. Victorinox Fibrox 25cm chef, was my first knife for more than 10 years. Some 7 years I was using at the same time the 25cm Fibrox chef serrated- flat towards the heel.
I love them.

They just don't compare. Buy a Masahiro 21cm chef , 1480... Line, and you will see the light [emoji274]🤘[emoji41]

I have a few doubles of Wüsthof knives here as I have been given them as presents even though I already own one in that style etc, is it worth listing them here at all? Seems a shame to have them sit in the box for eternity, as I don't see the one I use wearing out any time soon. eBay/Gumtree UK will not accept kitchen knife listings.

Back