How would you fix this cracked handle?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This Osage orange handle cracked all the way around while sitting on my knife rack, probably from change in humidity. It is very dry in our place during winter. It doesn’t help that the grain of the wood is not oriented in the strongest way, which would be along the length of the handle.

Anyway, how would you try to remedy this? Superglue, epoxy, something else? Or just get a new one?

IMG_5069.jpeg

IMG_5068.jpeg

IMG_5070.jpeg

I'd fill it with epoxy mixed with some saw dust that is similar in colour to the cracked wood. You could also get away with using lighter coloured saw dust, as the epoxy / saw dust mixture is typically darker than the saw dust itself. Make sure you scrape away as much excess epoxy as possible before it cures, because large clumps of epoxy can be painful to sand away. The crack will still be noticeable, but the epoxy should prevent further cracking and the crack will be sealed. If the handle is dry, it would also benefit from a coat of oil, which will help it keep it in good condition.

Probably not the best wood and/or direction of grain for a handle looking at the structure. You could fill the cracks but it will likely happen again. My recommendation is replace.

If the handle were oriented following the grain direction, I would fill with epoxy and then clamp front to back to close the gap, then sand to clean up.

However, wood expands/contracts the most in the tangential direction (perpendicular to the rings) compared to any other directions. So for this particular piece, the orientation of the wood is going to work against you for the life of the handle. You could fill it with CA glue to keep using it in the interim, but even if this one crack is fixed, another will likely pop up again down the line.

I would replace it when you have the chance.

I am no expert but many makers refuse to work with quarter-sawn woods probably exactly for that reason. At least I've heard that already from some makers. Sorry to see that...

I am no expert but many makers refuse to work with quarter-sawn woods probably exactly for that reason. At least I've heard that already from some makers. Sorry to see that...

Interesting discussion, aren't quarter sawn or rift sawn usually the more desired options because of their stability?
I have zero to none woodworking experience, but would guess that quarter sawn with the grain orientation lengthwise would be just fine to use?

Interesting discussion, aren't quarter sawn or rift sawn usually the more desired options because of their stability?
I have zero to none woodworking experience, but would guess that quarter sawn with the grain orientation lengthwise would be just fine to use?
This isnt a matter of quarter sawn or rift sawn. You can make a handle out of either, and if the grain is oriented parallel to the blade, then there would be minimal difference to the stability. However, this piece was used perpendicular to the grain direction, so that's why the cracks developed in that way.

Maybe this picture helps illustrate
quartersawn-vs-riftsawn-wood.png

Yeah exactly, that was also my understanding :)
This handle looks like someone just cut a board at the width of a handle and then cut the end off to make a handle.

Back