How you know it's sharp

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Free standing tomatos: paper thin slices. Shaving arm hair or what is left of it. The sound of push cutting through a single paper sheet. Folded paper. Rolled up newspaper. Actually cutting food. How thin and clean I can get a slice of tuna from a saku block; I like doing this after sharpening my sujis.

I think the Murray Carter three finger test is the best out there. It's all I do now. No missing arm hair, no paper. You can really tell a lot about the edge this way. I also run my fingers along the edge parallel to the knife, feeling the side of the edge, as it were. Same idea.

As to the stropping, I've got leather, but I find that newsprint works just fine, so that's what I usually grab.

Cheers.

I agree. If you want to cut food, get a beater so you don't dull your nice knives.

Yep. I use this one for shaving my arms and slicing receipt paper:

IMG_3176.JPG

But if I want actually cut food:

IMG_3177.JPG

:eek2::justkidding:

I agree. If you want to cut food, get a beater so you don't dull your nice knives.

:biggrin:

Oh I would never use my own knives at work I always borrow someone elses or look for that gem of a "house" knife that is sitting in the metal drawer with no gaurd on it. Tha plastic handle means it works. ><

I think the Murray Carter three finger test is the best out there. It's all I do now. No missing arm hair, no paper. You can really tell a lot about the edge this way. I also run my fingers along the edge parallel to the knife, feeling the side of the edge, as it were. Same idea.

As to the stropping, I've got leather, but I find that newsprint works just fine, so that's what I usually grab.

Cheers.

I strop on latigo with 25 microcarbide. Do use any spray on your leather? I used to attempt the newspaper technique but always end with little creases in the paper that seem to mess with the stropping. The leather makes a noticeable difference especially with thinner knives and cutting shallots; no resistance and the sound is clean(best way I can describe).

Last edited:
Anyone tried shaving a peach?

I thought of trying this a few days ago, after I had eaten the last peach. I wonder if anyone has posted a video of themselves shaving a peach with a cleaver or some other stupid edged tool.

I thought of trying this a few days ago, after I had eaten the last peach. I wonder if anyone has posted a video of themselves shaving a peach with a cleaver or some other stupid edged tool.
cool to see the real Anduril Sword of Aragorn shaving a peach :2thumbsup:

Shave a Peach...wasn't that an Allman Brothers album back in the '70's?:scratchhead:

So I sharpened my Henkels Santoku, (only second time sharpening), am I doing it right? I cut a carrot and cutting it length wise was okay, otherwise the other cuts were good. The edge feels graby and sharp, just not sure if I'm working with a wire edge.

When I sharpened, it was on a king 1k. Developed a burr on both sides and reduced it by alternating sides. Then I did edge trailing strokes on bith sides followed by deburring. Lastly I stropped on news paper, deburred, then a final stropping.

[video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4esxeIGDHTI[/video]

Since I don't get my knives so polished as many people can get them, the three finger test can work for me, assuming I'm not trying to test a wire edge or something.

Tomatoes too.

Dave it happen again !
8fhf.jpg
[/IMG]

Actually.. there are some truths to that picture.. one thing i hate with some of my knives is that i can't effectively rock chop as my blade cuts into the board a teeeny bit (without force)
The knives that are thinnest behind the edge that is. It's annoying as hell.

Actually.. there are some truths to that picture.. one thing i hate with some of my knives is that i can't effectively rock chop as my blade cuts into the board a teeeny bit (without force)
The knives that are thinnest behind the edge that is. It's annoying as hell.

How refined do you take your knives? For me knives would only stick into the cutting board when I was leaving really gritty edges on my blades.

How refined do you take your knives? For me knives would only stick into the cutting board when I was leaving really gritty edges on my blades.

3 micron strop. It's about the thinness, as i don't have the problem on my a little thicker knives like the Akifusa.

But i do have it on the Fu-rin-ka-zan Nakiri and the Ginga 240 white-steel gyoto. Both are really quite thin behind the edge.

It also might be the wooden boards at work but they look fresh enough and aren't of the cheapest sort. Shouldn't be them.

I have my knifebag there so i can't try and fiddle around at home right now. Must say, i started loving my Akifusa a bit more after the time here. It's a pain to sharpen but it holds the edge great and can take a bit of a beating (although i would use it as a bone-chopper or anything.)

Back