HRC's of some old carbon - forgies, dexter and some old cleavers...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am having the nice folks at Bloodroot rehandle and tune some of my ebay purchases and I asked them if they would mind Rockwell testing them while they were doing that. While I don't have pictures yet of the rehandled knives and cleavers as they haven't quite gotten to me, still I thought people might be interested - I was quite surprised by the results:

Forgecrafts:

Chef: 61.5-62 - this kind of blew mind, that's a pretty impressive number for a knife that cost me 30 bucks or so :- )
Butcher: 58.5
Boning: 59
Cleaver: 59
Slicer: 59

So my conclusion is, at least on these knives, the reputation of Forgies as being pretty amazing for what originally was a pretty cheap department store knife is well deserved!

Next was an LL Bean/Dexter Carbon Chef: 53 (I was kind of shocked at how soft this one was, what kind of carbon steel is this soft??)

Next a couple of old cleavers:

A Widdell cleaver: 57 near the edge, differentially hardened

1837 Buffalo NY cleaver (we can't see the rest of the maker's mark): 60 near the edge, most likely also differentially hardened.

I'll post pictures as soon as I get the knives back..

Next was an LL Bean/Dexter Carbon Chef: 53 (I was kind of shocked at how soft this one was, what kind of carbon steel is this soft??)

Old Sabatiers can be in this ballpark too.

Woah forgies at 62! I wouldn't have expected that. I wonder if that's an anomaly

So do these era knives cut well? I've really never tried any vintage carbons. Would they cut in a way that a person who has gotten engrossed with current high end Japanese knives might appreciate? I guess I mean the forgecrafts since they are hardened to a similar level, and seem to have a similar profile.

So do these era knives cut well? I've really never tried any vintage carbons. Would they cut in a way that a person who has gotten engrossed with current high end Japanese knives might appreciate? I guess I mean the forgecrafts since they are hardened to a similar level, and seem to have a similar profile.

They typically need to be thinned considerably.

+1

My experience is that they sharpen very easily, take a screamingly sharp edge, but to actually be super usable they need some thinning. After that though they are clearly the best bang for the buck by a few hundred bucks!

The two forgies I have both needed considerable thinning behind the edge. other than that the grind is very impressive with damn good food release as well as a sweet profile!
Did I mention they are tough as nails. These knives can take a serious beating. Their reputation is well deserved.
Edge retention is better than any other vintage I've tried but a far cry from modern japanese knives which is understandable.

Thanks for the answers. That would have been my guess, but better to get it from those in the know. Though guesswork is fun.

Back