Hyde Cleaver Pass Around

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PXL_20230622_133247427~2.jpg

How’s it handling? I’m guessing it’s an upgrade from the Wokshop cleaver you were using during arm?
Good. This Hyde cleaver is definitely much bigger than the Wokshop or Chopper King. Cuts much better than the Wokshop, a little better than the Chopper King.

I'm fine with it, but, I think it's a little bigger than what I'd like though.

Fun knife. MONSTER proportions. It literally is up to my chest height when I'm using it. But everything about it screams CCK. The ultra thin lightweight flex-y steel, the concave grind, the splotchy yet smooth forge finish, and even the little handle. The cutting also feels just like my CCK in that the edge is not ultra-fine, but the overall body of the blade is really thin, so it falls thru everything without feeling like the edge is in danger of getting damaged. I have never had a knife with quite so much surface area. Moving around stuff from board to pot with this thing is literally like having a snow shovel at my disposal.

I've tried thru many different makers to find a CCK with more premium materials, and this is probably the closest I've seen. Really nice blade, thanks so much to @BillHanna for the chance to test drive it!

PXL_20230713_230332629.jpg

PXL_20230713_230350089.jpg

Fun knife. MONSTER proportions. It literally is up to my chest height when I'm using it. But everything about it screams CCK. The ultra thin lightweight flex-y steel, the concave grind, the splotchy yet smooth forge finish, and even the little handle. The cutting also feels just like my CCK in that the edge is not ultra-fine, but the overall body of the blade is really thin, so it falls thru everything without feeling like the edge is in danger of getting damaged. I have never had a knife with quite so much surface area. Moving around stuff from board to pot with this thing is literally like having a snow shovel at my disposal.

I've tried thru many different makers to find a CCK with more premium materials, and this is probably the closest I've seen. Really nice blade, thanks so much to @BillHanna for the chance to test drive it!

View attachment 254814
View attachment 254816
How tall are your counters? I know the ones we currently have are low, but I don't know if I've had a board as high as what I'm imagining your setup to be.

How tall are your counters? I know the ones we currently have are low, but I don't know if I've had a board as high as what I'm imagining your setup to be.
Standard 3ft counters, and my board is about 1inch. Bill's cleaver is 120mm. So you can imagine like a tall gyuto on top of another tall gyuto.

whats the weight on this thing
😲 I never weighed it, that I can recall.

Edit.

351g with the balance at 95mm.

I found the post.
Here's the specs that I measured:

Dimensions: 240x120mm, 352g
Tip rise from flat: 5mm
Balance: 80mm forward from choil
Spine thickness: 1.6/1.6/1.7/1.6mm (at handle, heel, mid, 1cm from tip)
Edge thickness at midpoint: 0.2/0.4/0.4/0.7mm (at 1mm/5mm/10mm/20mm behind edge)
Grind: concave to 35mm high shinogi both sides
Handle: 19.5x25mm to 20.5x27mm, oval, 107mm length

I have it. @BillHanna send me your addy. It looks like I’m supposed to send it to you.

Back