Hyper-decanting - Anyone try it?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for another version of this type of decanting. Here is the Mollydooker Shake.

[video=youtube;4xTw6nOj80k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xTw6nOj80k[/video]

k.

Cool. I heard that Sparky was a nice guy, looks like he does have a sense of humor and a very down-to-earth attitide toward his wines. Maybe that's why I like them ;)

Stefan

I tried it tonight -- or more accurately -- my wife tried it as I have a cold and no ability to smell really. We also did it blind, and she thought the blended wine (I'm calling it what it is) had a better aroma, but that the other wine tasted better so it was inconclusive.

When I tried the wines (without smell have you) one did have a larger mouth feel than the other and I felt the non-blended wine was also more pleasant, BUT that was because it had some serious graphite notes and was very tannic and blending it seemed to make it taste super tannic.

So without any scientific basis, method, or knowledge I would say that this hyper-decanting probably works with some wines and not others. I think it is definitely aerating it and releasing aroma more and that affects how you taste, but also if a wine is young and tannic, you might just be enhancing the tannic side of the wine and bringing that out. Kind of like that Mollydooker video where he says that the release of nitrogen enhances the flavor compounds -- but what if you don't care for the flavor?? If I were to take a less tannic wine or one that had smoothed out through aging, then maybe some different notes would have come out (with the blending), but I definitely would not do this hyper-decanting with a young tannic wine. Blending is not going to soften the tannins -- time does that. And it sort of makes sense. You can't take a exceptionally young tannic wine and decant away the tannins.

Also, I have a tough time believing that an over-processed wine would benefit from this. It has already been robbed of life through an industrial winemaking process, so I have difficulty seeing how adding another mechanical process such as blending it would help it out any. Blended baloney is still essentially baloney.

However, a well-balanced wine with some complexity that needs a couple of hours of decanting might be the best option for blending. I have just the wine for my next blending experiment.

So, until next time....

k.

Edit: I used a vitamix on number 4 for about 30-40 seconds.

I use an aerator that I received as a gift and I think it works great...can't say that I'd want to put it in a blender though.

Cheers

Just for another version of this type of decanting. Here is the Mollydooker Shake.
k.

2009 Bordeaux reputed ok for early drinking so 1st pour was decanted in-glass for 1+ hours yesterday but still not ready.
Just did the Molly shake and poured a 2nd glass tonight and the wine is way better - no "decanting' but day older in-bottle.:thumbsup:
Wonder what day 3 will be - maybe 1/2 straight from the bottle and with what remains another Molly shake :dontknow:

So day 3 with 2009 Chateau Boutisse - straight from bottle - no;
Molly shake with what remains in the bottle - no. :(

Back