I hate asking, but I have too!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would go for

240 Gyuto
DT ITK - you cant go wrong!
Or contact Marko, he will make some really nice knives.
Dave is also an option

150 - 180 Santoku/Guyto - This is for your wife and other members, and yourself
I went on the trademarked and found a Carter:
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?1197-WTB-Carter-Stainless-Fukugozai-Funayuki
Just took 2 days - and then you can change the handle yourself

120 Petty
Your wife needs it.
I have severels, but this gives bang for da bucks
http://www.**************.com/fufkmpe12.html

Smaller knives
I have a couple of Forschner Fibrox Paring Knife 3.25" always laying around

Hi All Good Morning here,

Thanks MC2442 I'm still on the road to one at a time. I thought by posting Doug's suggested list it would be a good start at identifying quality J-Knives.

Hi JohnC, Yes I'll be reading and researching everything you guys throw at me for awhile, before I purchase a single knife. I will defineately read Chad's book first! End of next week.

Hey Sean, I looked at Boardsmith site and they make some beautiful boards and nothing replaces the time they have put in on development. They have researched and have come up with a great product. I just love to woodwork been doing it for 35yrs, have spent $$$$'s on tools, created jigs, made furniture, one offs,etc. So if I can make it I will both from a $ sense and time sense. And I will check out the B/S/T forum, I have no problem supporting you guys, a mutual win win!

TK59 Fellow San Diegan, My gal is a tomato freak and fresh fruits too! I'm looking at semi and stainless knives, but would like to experience the carbon world also, my mom has an old french chefs that is carbon, I now need to look at it a little closer. I will check out CarboNEXT, Kikuichi TKC, and Konosuke HD series. I do fillet fish from Point Loma Seafoods, usually Sunday dinner, we try to get our fish in!

Thanks oivind_dahle Great suggetions I'll put it on a speadsheet, where all of your and everyone elses suggestions are going along with a brief explanation of usage!

Thanks Guys keep it coming I'm all ears, I'll keep researching your links and directions Greg

I'd start by saying that not everyone is comfortable with a 240mm gyuto as their main knife to use at home, and that you won't need that many knives to begin with. I suggest getting the knives a couple at a time, doing some sharpening and cutting with it, then decide if you like the dimensions, performance, how it responds to your sharpening and then branch out and get other knives.

I'd go with:
A gyuto 210 or 240. Note the difference between how the length is measured on the yo and wa handles. There are a couple of choices for stainless and carbon and also clad.
Couple of knives for stainless/semi-stainless obviously includes the DT forum knives at CKTG, Heiji, Yoshikane, Konosuke HD, and the cheaper options include Fujiwara FKM, CarboNext, both available from Koki at JCK.
Clad knives are knives that have a carbon core/cutting edge with stainless steel wrapped around the rest of the blade. A popular example is the Hiromoto Aogami Super available from Koki at JCK. It takes a wicked edge and holds it damn well even in a pro kitchen. It's my main knife. Yoshikane makes clad knives as well if I'm not mistaken.
I'd leave the carbon choices to the guys who have more experience with them as I have not owned any, though I'm looking into getting one and was recommended a Suien VC by Jon from JapaneseKnifeImports. It is apparently made from the same steel that goes into Suien's well received cleavers.

A petty 120 or 150. Depending on how you like it. I got a 120 which doubles as a parer. A 150 could double as a boning knife tho I use my 120 for it. Fujiwara FKM is a pretty good choice there. I'd get them either from Koki at JapaneseChefsKnife or from Mark at CKTG.

A nice bread knife as it is for posterity cause there is not that much stuff to change about a serrated bread knife lol. I'd maybe go for a MAC?

Finally a slicer or a Sujihiki. IMO, if you are getting a 240 gyuto, then you might want a longer sujihiki at about 300mm or so. If you decide on a shorter gyuto, then a 270 is pretty fine. Again, you have a host of choices ranging from carbon to cladded to stainless. I'd not comment on that as i'm shopping for a Suji myself LOL!!

Have fun shopping and remember to post pics of your buys!!

Oivind_dahle How did your Carter project turn out, pics?

Hi Mad Mel, I guess you guys are located all over the world! Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

When you say "I'd start by saying that not everyone is comfortable with a 240mm gyuto as their main knife to use at home".

Are you referring to size/function. I'm a big guy 6'3" 245, I need a diet and have no problem with using large tools. My hands are on the large/ex-large side and swollen most of the time from wood/construction work. The buy it, try it then resell is something I try not to do with my tools and I would like to do the same with knives. I realize knives hold there value better then a power tool, but I like to research and purchase, just me.

Handle type is one of the first questions I was asked when I joined the forum. I guess I'm used to the "Western type" handle. The only round handle I own is my Japanese dovetailing saw. A saw, not a knife! I'm looking forward to making custom handles. Creating the personalized template, hopefully big enough to scare the family away from using it!

You said "IMO, if you are getting a 240 gyuto, then you might want a longer sujihiki at about 300mm or so. If you decide on a shorter gyuto, then a 270 is pretty fine". This is interesting the gyuto/sujihiki ratio. 240/300 or 210/270 both are 60mm apart, is this a standard separation or a "rule of thumb" when considering these two knives?

As for the Petty, I'm not sure yet how I would use this type of knife. I need to read Chad's book to get a better understanding here.

Yes I want a bread knife, so I'll check the MAC. Homemade/fresh bread is my first choice!

At this point, I feel I should take at least a month before I make any decision. Definitely will read Chad's book first. Then continue to take all the suggestions here research them. Its all going on a spreadsheet right now. Then finalize a list, post it for the old "thumbs up or down" including prices and suppliers. Take in members opinions, then purchase! After that I will post pics and update on my experiences. Thanks again, Mel

Oivind_dahle How did your Carter project turn out, pics?

Its picked up in US next week by Harald (aka Darkhoek). He is picking up several knives and some projects for us. I guess we will start on the project next weekend :) So we will post it on the forum.

But with your skills, you should visit trademarked. And buy used knives and pimp em up! So if you put your money into jnats, then much is done!! :)

Then you can customize your own, and in time you get get a custom knife by Devin Thomas, Bill Burke or another high end maker :)

OK Doug here's what I found per your suggestion. I'm not saying I'm going there, but I want some input from everyone on the following list. It comes in a $1100. Without a board or sharpening equipment!

Tojiro DP Chef Knife 240mm
Kikuichi Elite Carbon Sujihiki 270mm
Tojiro DP Paring Knife 90mm
Hiromoto Petty Knife 120mm
Moritaka Petty 150mm
Tojiro DP Western Deba 240mm
Fujiwara FKM Stainless Boning 145mm
Tojiro DP Nakiri 165mm
Maruyoshi HD-5 Santoku 7"
Sugimoto Cleaver #30
Dexter-Russell 8'' X 3¼'' Chinese Chef Knife

Well what do you guys think? Greg
I seen nothing wrong with getting all of these at once if you can afford it. That would give you an opportunity to try them all and decide which you prefer. You can always sell the ones you don't want fairly easily, and perhaps by purchasing that many knives at once, you could cut a deal with the seller. Wouldn't hurt to ask.

Even though it is considered expensive by most people's standards, a Devin Thomas ITK gyuto is a great value. One of, if not the best stainless, great craftsmanship, and if it isn't your cup of tea, great resale value. You may have to wait for one, but worth it if you can. CKTG has also been taking preorders for these, not sure if he still is. You can always sign up so you get an email when they are back in stock.

This Tojiro 270mm Bread Knife is pretty much a copy of the Mac bread knife, and is about $20 cheaper while it is currently on sale.

Some other places mentioned in this thread in shorthand that you may not know are Jon @ JKI who is also a member here (Jon Broida) and Koki @ JCK.

For the 240 comment it's actually not about body size, more on how much space you have to work in and the length of the blade that you are comfortable with. Take me for example, I'm 5'5" but I'm comfortable with a 240 at work, but not at home as my workspace is smaller at home. I have a friend who is 6 feet and he uses a 180.. Its all a matter of getting a feel for the 'correct' length or range of length for you. Maybe you should pop down to a store and handle some knives of different lengths just to see what you are comfy with.

For the ratio of the suji to the gyuto, it's more from a practical point of view in my opinion. Cause I don't see why you can't slice with a 240 gyuto. Things you can't slice in 1 stroke with a 240 would probably need something that is longer and I don't think that 30mm is gonna make that much of a difference. But again, that's my view on things and not a rule per se.. So we come down once more to your 'comfort zone'. I personally, am not very comfortable with anything in the 300 range so I'm shopping around for a suji that I can custom to my specific length. What I'd say is again, go out and shop around, feel out some knives, their styles, weight and find a comfortable length. Do not let what people say dictate what you are gonna buy and use yourself. We are just providing a general guide that works for us you see.

A petty is kinda like a mini utility kitchen knife. As I said, it's my most used knife and I work in a professional kitchen so that testifies to its versatality. You can use it as a parer, or as a boning knife or almost anything. I use it for anything that requires a bit more agility from the knife like deboning and stuff.

So basically, build up a set slowly as there is no rush to get everything at once. Get a couple of knives, play with them and if you feel you need something more or something better, upgrade and buy again.

Like a 240mm gyuto, I think a 300mm suji is a good place to start. I normally use 270mm gyutos and have a 300 suji, and often find myself wishing I had a 330mm, so a 210 or 240 and 300 combo works well I think.

oivind_dahle You said"When you use 240 for a few days, there is no going back to a smaller one" then what size sujihiki do you favor?

TK59 Where can I go to handle some knives in SD. Don't want sale pressure, I just need to handle a few!

JC, What's the overall length of a 330mm suji? Weight? Manufacturer?

ghud:

I have no suji. The Gyuto does the trick :)
A Gyuto will serve you well, and will do most a home chef needs to do.

A 240 will be a friend for a long long time :)
Now that you are getting into this, have you ever considered a custom?

A Devin Thomas would make your day! :)

Mad Mel, I was wondering about the Petty Fujiwara FKM line. If I used it more for deboning would you choose a #3 Deba 150mm or a #4 Boning 145mm. Which would be a more versatile knife? There's quite difference in weight. Have had experience with these two knives. Thanks Greg

It's probably best to wait until you know what works and feels best to you before going the custom route :)

Little details can make a big difference in how well a particular knife suits you. It takes hands-on experience - sometimes just by handling a knife in a store or a friend's somewhere, sometimes by actually using it - and comparing them to really get a sense for your own preferences.

You might be surprised at what you eventually realize best suits you. It's not always what we might expect at the beginning.

Oivind_dahle: Devin Thomas custom Gyuto at 240mm what would something like that cost?? And would it be wise for me to cut my handle making teeth on something like that??? I went to his site extremely impressive! But until I understand what suits me, per Mad Mel, I don't think can reasonably consider something like that, however it would be buy it and enjoy it for a very long time!!

If you want damscus I guess 1500 for a Devin Thomas :)

But you can make a DT ITK 240 look really good:
1293987694-DSC_1417.JPG

1293987706-DSC_1418.JPG

1293987840-DSC_1427.JPG

If you can do the wood and the saya yourself, this is how it could be....

Hey Sean, I looked at Boardsmith site and they make some beautiful boards and nothing replaces the time they have put in on development. They have researched and have come up with a great product. I just love to woodwork been doing it for 35yrs, have spent $$$$'s on tools, created jigs, made furniture, one offs,etc. So if I can make it I will both from a $ sense and time sense. And I will check out the B/S/T forum, I have no problem supporting you guys, a mutual win win!

I hear you on all that. My intention was to point you in the direction of inspiration rather than a place to buy. You can find a couple of boards if not more made by other people here on this forum that borrow strongly from David. Of course if you do decide not to embark on that adventure, David's prices are very reasonable.

oivind_dahle:

Well, well, some eye candy do you use those, it looks like you have at least 2, or are they on display?
Could I make those handles, I believe so, some time, some money, I've enjoyed inlaying/joining different species of wood in the past, can be challenging, but fun, satisfying in the end. A nice sharp spokeshave or drawknive with the correct profile. I bet I could use some of my past gunsmithing experience, I remember how sharp I had to get that octagonal barrel on the Marlin 44 before bluing, lots of stone work no rounded edges! Time, time, time..... As for the saya, I would have to get the technique, but after that time,time,time...

Hi Sean, I'm glad you brought up his site. I have relatives in NC love the people down there, hardworking. I'll look at the cost versus time and if it makes sense to go Davids way I will, always love to support one man operation and I can tell lots of you guys appreciate his work. Greg

Oh I forgot, thanks Len we were thinking the same thought at the same time. It would be fun someday to make that investment, but not now. However I'm enjoying the education right now. Thanks Greg

Mad Mel, I was wondering about the Petty Fujiwara FKM line. If I used it more for deboning would you choose a #3 Deba 150mm or a #4 Boning 145mm. Which would be a more versatile knife? There's quite difference in weight. Have had experience with these two knives. Thanks Greg

A boning is definitely better for deboning.. The name should clear all doubts. I don't think I'd pick up a deba to do anything else then breaking through bones cause of its weight. it kinda restricts the agility of the knife.

JC, What's the overall length of a 330mm suji? Weight? Manufacturer?

I wasn't trying to recommend a particular 330mm suji. I have a 300 (and another on the way) and still think this is a good place to start. For my own kit, based on what I need and what I like and dislike about the 300mm, I will be adding 270 and 330mm sujis at some point. I think 330 is a little long for most folks, especially a home user.

And since you are a woodworker, here is a simple project you could do to add to your knife stuff and save some money at the same time. After you get stones, strops can also be nice to have. I built this strop base even though I am basically useless with wood.

Nice work JC, How about some Mesquite for a southwestern favor? Or was there a reason you chose cedar? Where did you purchase your stone(s), which ones should I look at first? And would it be too much to do a through tenon on the base with peg. At that point the whole thing could be broken down. Any advantage you think. Did you oil the base?

MM, I think the #4 145MM is on a list. Currently I have two lists going and it looks like 4 or 5 knives will be the setup for me!

I chose cedar because if I also wanted to use the base as a stone holder, I could get it wet and it wouldn't rot. I did not oil it, but will probably put some beeswax on it at some point. I dont feel the need to break it down, it doesnt take up much room as it is, but if you want to try it, go right ahead and show us how it comes out!

I have a Bester 1200 and Suehiro Rika 5000 from Dave Martell @ japaneseknifesharpeningstore.com (he also runs this forum). I also have an Atoma 140 diamond plate from Dave to keep my stones flat.
I have a Gesshin 5000 from Jon @ JKI
And I have a Chosera 400 from Sur La Table, but they are way too expensive from there.

All are good stones, I just got the Gesshin but I have really been enjoying it so far. The Bester and Rika are both good stones to start with and learn on. Just gotta get something to flatten them with.

Even though it is considered expensive by most people's standards, a Devin Thomas ITK gyuto is a great value. One of, if not the best stainless, great craftsmanship, and if it isn't your cup of tea, great resale value. You may have to wait for one, but worth it if you can. CKTG has also been taking preorders for these, not sure if he still is. You can always sign up so you get an email when they are back in stock.

I also thought he was taking pre-orders, but he's not. I put my name on the list and waited patiently for my place in line for about six months only to find that I had no place in line - only an email when he gets a few in stock. If you don't happen to be sitting at your computer when he turns on the order button, you're out of luck. After three of these run arounds I gave up. Damn piss poor way of doing business in my opinion. Left a bad taste in my mouth. I'll never buy anything from CKTG again.

James

He did start taking pre orders, but only recently. Signing up for the email would not get you on the preorder list. You have to contact him directly, by email or telephone. The reason he did not want to take pre orders is sometimes it takes months and months to restock, and he didn't want to hold onto people's money for that long. Neither way is a perfect system. The DT ITKs are really great, and they are worth it even if you have to deal with CKTG.

You could also contact Devin directly and order a custom AEB-L through him, but his wait is around a year or so, and I think it would be more than the ITKs.

You shouldnt say that about CKTG and Mark. He gives great service and is a great business man.
He got lots of brands and great prices, and he makes a great effort in getting knives known.
Pierre and Devin got a lot of attention through CKTG, and we have seen products like ITK and Richmond Addict come from his place.

Busnies is hard, and he is doing well. Ive used Mark several times, and have no problems with him.
Still gonna recommend him and his store, as he got a lot of knives for great prices and gives a great customer service.

As I said, it was my opinion.

I thought that after patiently waiting for six months I had, at least, earned a place in line to buy a knife. As it turned out, I had exactly the same priority as anyone who happened to stumble onto the CKTG site when the order button was activated.

My experience is that I got jerked around three times - each time, by the time I received the email - the knives were already gone. I suggested to Mark that he offer the knives to the next "x" number of people in line and give them 24hrs to say yes or no before offering the knifes to the general public. Mark's response was to offer to put me back on the list for another useless email.

I know lots of folks like Mark and CKTG. I did not like the way I was treated and choose not to patronize businesses that do not treat me well. YMMV.

James

You could also contact Devin directly and order a custom AEB-L through him, but his wait is around a year or so, and I think it would be more than the ITKs.

Don't know how long the wait is but the current price Hoss is charging for his custom AEB-L is $70 an inch. thats way above what you will be paying for an ITK.

Back