If You Only Had One Pan.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can't seem to find it anywhere online, but I was gifted a Le Creuset dutch oven with a lid that is a skillet (with a handle). If I had to choose only one, it'd be that one since it's two in one.

So what is it??

It's called a brazier or rondo as brainsausage said. Lincoln Centurion stainless steel (I thought I has said that, sorry). Aluminum ones are cheap. Stainless rocks!

-AJ

They're referred to as rondo's in the food service industry. I've never had to order one, so there may be a different supplier name for em. They really do rule tho, only pot/pan that's equally at home on the stove and in the oven. All the ones I've used were aluminum btw... And were a little shorter and had a thicker gauge.

That's it I was thinking of a similar looking one with a long handle on one side

It's called a brazier or rondo as brainsausage said. Lincoln Centurion stainless steel (I thought I has said that, sorry). Aluminum ones are cheap. Stainless rocks!

-AJ

I don't know that I've ever really used any stainless in a pro kitchen. How is it better?

I don't know that I've ever really used any stainless in a pro kitchen. How is it better?

I don't really know. I meant that was why aluminum ones are $100 and stainless ones are $400. Ours are stainless. I do prefer stainless in that I feel stainless can take more abuse and I don't like to cook milk or tomato based sauces in aluminum . That and I have a personal contempt for most things made of aluminium. :D

-AJ

I can't seem to find it anywhere online, but I was gifted a Le Creuset dutch oven with a lid that is a skillet (with a handle). If I had to choose only one, it'd be that one since it's two in one.

That's cheating but I have two of those also (le creuset no. 22 and 23 I think).

I don't really know. I meant that was why aluminum ones are $100 and stainless ones are $400. Ours are stainless. I do prefer stainless in that I feel stainless can take more abuse and I don't like to cook milk or tomato based sauces in aluminum . That and I have a personal contempt for most things made of aluminium. :D

-AJ
Hah! I just had an image of a copper/cast iron rondo. So awesome. So expensive. So frikkin heavy!

And btw- your stainless comment In regards to acidic components makes me a little curious. This might bear a little more exploration in another thread... At times I've thought I've noticed some metallic back palate on some items, but we use a variety of different pans in our kitchen, and one's palate can also be influenced by a wide variety of pre-existing influences. This calls for research...

And btw- your stainless comment In regards to acidic components makes me a little curious. This might bear a little more exploration in another thread... At times I've thought I've noticed some metallic back palate on some items, but we use a variety of different pans in our kitchen, and one's palate can also be influenced by a wide variety of pre-existing influences. This calls for research...

Just FYI. Here are some quotes from eGullet on reactivity with cookware and aluminum:

"Reactivity: Materials that are highly reactive tend to have chemical reactions with other substances around them. A good example would be iron, which tends to react with oxygen to form iron oxide or, as we commonly know it, rust. This is significant to cooking because there are certain ingredients and certain ways of cooking in which it is disadvantageous to have a reactive cooking surface because the ingredients will react with the cooking vessel and produce undesirable colors and/or flavors. Highly reactive cookware materials include iron, copper, aluminum and carbon steel. Nonreactive cookware materials include stainless steel and enamel. A special case is anodized aluminum, which is aluminum that has been treated with an electrolytic process to create a harder surface that is still somewhat reactive, but significantly less so than untreated aluminum. Similarly, a process called annealing is used to turn reactive carbon steel into harder, less reactive black steel and blue steel. As it so happens, materials that are highly reactive also tend to have highly desirable thermal properties (and vice-versa)...."

Later on in the cookware primer at eGullet, they say that aluminum is "highly reactive with both acidic and alkaline foods, which can cause off flavors and colors."

Also cast iron and carbon pans such as de buyer are reactive but that's why we season them -- just like when we season our knives with a nice patina :)

k.

Latest posts

Back