I'll Show you mine, if you show me yours!!! (What are you cutting on?)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am using 3 of these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N9ILDFQ/ I also have some nice wooden ones from mtmwood, larchwood, and such but those are mostly use now to plate wood.

These cutting board have a nylon type feeling, gentle on knives and are laminated in 4 or 5 layers. Idea is once top layer is all scratchy, then you just peel it off and you have a new board.

I also know they make these in industrial size like 30"x24" and 2" thick but they are 25lb and cost a crapload but have 15 layers and will last a lifetime

18x24x3 BoardSmith walnut. Bought in 2012. Did a search for cutting boards and found him in thus forum. All three of my children have BoardSmith boards.
688638BE-CAD4-4EA6-9731-CA87ECABA545.jpeg

I have a small korin hisoft cutting board to use at home, but I never cook at home so I decided to take it into work and it is laughably tiny.
My largest cutting board was a little smaller than this, for the best part of thirty years. The cutting board a cook does not make…

18“ x 24“ x 1 1/2“ thick, rubber feet on the bottom so it doesn’t slide and you can just stick your fingers in there and pick it up

Attachments

• C1C65AF1-05F1-4777-A7D4-6DD94FD81088.jpeg
    C1C65AF1-05F1-4777-A7D4-6DD94FD81088.jpeg
    160.9 KB · Views: 20
  • 054435F5-CC28-40A9-BDE2-D03007B5CF96.jpeg
    054435F5-CC28-40A9-BDE2-D03007B5CF96.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 22
20210404_173521.jpg

From the top left. A medium pine end grain, not in use really at the moment. Waiting for me to repurpose it for something.

Small ash board used for little things including shallots etc and as a supper bread plate too sometimes in the evening.

Then the Hasegawa soft 60x30 for everything, liking that a lot and often using it on top of the walnut board for vegs or near the sink on top of our cooktop for fish etc.

Main veg board is the 60x44x6cm walnut, not used for onions or other smelly stuff. Had it for a month, loving it, makes bigger knifes feel more nimble.

2x Sage woodfiber resin boards. Can take and fit in the dishwasher and so are used quite frequently for lots of different things when too lazy to clean other boards. Dont feel as great as the wooden or Hasegawa though.

Medium beech board sometimes used for chicken butchery, onions or the like.

How well do those handles hold over time from being washed?
Any buckling or mold? I would think they'll be waxed and sealed before being attached.
I have this phobia that juices and water leaking over will manifest into a moldy village over time.

How well do those handles hold over time from being washed?
Any buckling or mold? I would think they'll be waxed and sealed before being attached.
I have this phobia that juices and water leaking over will manifest into a moldy village over time.
They're generally covered in a) hardening oil or b) non-hardening oil or c) some kind of sealant or d) whatever man, just like don't run them through the dishwasher or soak them in water overnight and stuff.

HA!

Yea, that setup looks insanely practical for many things.
Test of time will tell!

18" x 24" x 2"Cherry Boardsmith. Old pic, it is about 3 years old now.
wu84Kk4.jpg

30" x 30" x 14" full thickness Maple vintage Boos Butch Block (same knife). Had to fill some cracks around the edges. Bad part was that this seasoned hard maple was micro chipping all my J-knives :mad:, so I went back to the Boardsmith with them. Not like that is a downgrade in the slightest :cool:. I use this when I bring out something a bit tougher, like CCK carbon veg cleaver. Otherwise the Boardsmith goes on top of it.
ppYvqm3.jpg

Latest posts

Back