I'm ready to be ruined financially

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. And a little perspective. Compared to any number of collectibles you could spend your money on--watches, high-end audio equipment, vintage guitars, sports cars--knives can be downright budget-friendly. Even if you include those shallots you buy and brunoise to compare your new knife to your old one.

Welcome. And a little perspective. Compared to any number of collectibles you could spend your money on--watches, high-end audio equipment, vintage guitars, sports cars--knives can be downright budget-friendly. Even if you include those shallots you buy and brunoise to compare your new knife to your old one.
that’s what I thought coming from HIFI. Oh boy I was wrong…

It adds up…you can’t ship 5 sets of speakers around every week, but you can do that with knives…sometimes 5 knives a day…

Haha I think I might be too poor for this hobby then, my residency salary from the hospital is so little 😢
Well you're a few years away from having the opposite problem of too much disposable income, not enough space, and maybe a spouse who judges your collecting hobby.

Depends on how bad the student loans are. Could be more years than you might think.

This is the cold, hard truth. Wife and I have over 300K combined med/law school debt. We are basically carrying a second mortgage at ~7.5% interest.

I mean I still buy knives, it's just wildly irresponsible 😆

Well you're a few years away from having the opposite problem of too much disposable income, not enough space, and maybe a spouse who judges your collecting hobby.
Haha I'm 200k in debt from loans from a State medical school that is supposedly not for profit haha. I'm probably just spending irresponsibly right now, but my current salary won't make a dent in my students anyways... at least that's how I am justifying these purchases haha

Psychiatry, definitely more chill fortunately than my colleagues in surgery, internal medicine and peds haha.
Yeah my sister in law did her psych residency in NYC. Definitely seemed a bit more humane than IM or surgery but still no cake walk. I think the whole residency model is insane. I understand that you need hours to get the training, but the 24s and all that are ridiculous. They actually told me wife not to drive home after her 24s because it's "too dangerous," but 5 minutes before her shift ends they're still having her make potentially life or death calls about critically ill children?? Something's not right here. 🤷‍♂️

Yeah my sister in law did her psych residency in NYC. Definitely seemed a bit more humane than IM or surgery but still no cake walk. I think the whole residency model is insane. I understand that you need hours to get the training, but the 24s and all that are ridiculous. They actually told me wife not to drive home after her 24s because it's "too dangerous," but 5 minutes before her shift ends they're still having her make potentially life or death calls about critically ill children?? Something's not right here. 🤷‍♂️
But how else can they learn!!!!!! We couldn’t possibly think of a way to make it better…. (Sarcasm).

Sorry totally off topic here LOL.

Welcome concernedparent. You just getting into the rabbit hole!!!! Good luck. You will find some good natured enablers here

Last edited:
Haha hopefully we are not getting off topic too much, but I agree definitely not a good idea to be treating patients non stop with no sleep that's when mistakes happen

Haha hopefully we are not getting off topic too much, but I agree definitely not a good idea to be treating patients non stop with no sleep that's when mistakes happen

Not at all. As someone who took out loans to go to law school (not in the 6 digit club though), I'm happy to make this the official overeducated, underpaid, debt laden professionals who are knife sickos thread.

Haha I think I might be too poor for this hobby then, my residency salary from the hospital is so little 😢

I am in the the exact same boat, but over time values change 🤷🏻‍♂️ I cooould go out and drink with friends/travel or I could buy a 400$ knife to look at and polish when I come back to my empty apartment in the depths of the night. I cooould be forward thinking and put stuff into the smp500 but that doesn’t satisfy my dopamine and serotonin deplete mind as a nice grind and cutting feel does XD

Last edited:
Back