Impressions of Konosuke Fujiyama Blue #2 Gyuto 210mm?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen numerous accounts of Kono Fujis not being very sharp OOTB. I actually thought the cutting was pretty good, until I sharpened it, and then it was amazing. Some folks also like them because the geometry allows them to cut well, even after losing some of the edge sharpness.

I have both white #1 & 2 240 fuji gyutos and they are very good performers. It seems like the white #1 gets a bit sharper than the #2 and they both came very dull ootb. Very fun knives for the money!

Every one of my japanese knives came with a slight dull edge, but this is normal, they want you to set your own bevel, at least what I've been told.

Several knives came with this paper showing different edge angles.

Both of Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji knives came incredibly sharp of the box I have a 240mm Gyuto and a 150mm Petty. These are White #1 clad in stainless steel and keep a great edge for quite a while.

I had a chance to put my Fuji to the 1K Shapton Glass and the 5K Shapton Pro and then on a strop with .75 micron CBN. Now the knife is scary sharp and the Blue2 was really easy to sharpen. I used some Bar Keepers Friend on it but I think I'm going to see if I can achieve a uniform patina.

You won't get an even patina the core steel is more reactive than the cladding even though both are carbon steel.

You won't get an even patina the core steel is more reactive than the cladding even though both are carbon steel.

I need more experience with this knife but after cleaning it the first time with Bar Keepers Friend and applying a coating of Camelia oil it is staying pretty stable after onions and tomatoes last night. I'm sure it will get some character to the looks but I love how it cuts!

Jack

I did force a patina on mine equal parts mustard and white vinegar + fresh lemon juice. The edge became darker than the cladding.

Back