informal poll: current finishing method for sharpening

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ Sarge and Keith Neal: Please post a new thread rather than hijack this one. Thanks!

:O
My apologizes. I wasn't looking to hijack; however I felt it relevant because it could affect to my answer to the poll, but discussions of stropping definitions deserves a thread of its own you are correct.

Carry on

Last edited:
:O
My apologizes. I wasn't looking to hijack; however I felt it relevant because it could affect to my answer to the poll, but discussions of stropping definitions deserves a thread of its own you are correct.

Carry on

My apologies also. I didn't realize a request for some expansion of the answers constituted a hijack. Will not happen again.

Keith

Not a big deal but I might decide to count up responses later and lots of multiples and discussions make it more painful than it needs to be. That's why I labeled it a "poll." Thanks. I really do think you guys should start new threads though. If you don't, I might just do it myself. I think there might be some interesting responses.

Damn. I forgot about stropping on felt... :slaphead:

For the purposes of this thread: Stropping = any edge-trailing stroke.

Alright I amend my answer then to B. I finish on the stones with edge trailing strokes.

D, but I think you already know that Tinh :D

Out of curiousity, how many generally finish by:
A. stropping on newspaper
B. stropping on a finishing stone
C. stropping on loaded leather
D. stropping on loaded balsa
E. stropping on unloaded leather
F. no stropping
G. other

Mostly D, but I do some C, F, and G as well (felt). If I had some higher grit and/or jnat stones I would B too.

G. I like to strop on bare felt and then, sometimes, on felt loaded with silicon carbide or boron oxide. Current favorite final strop is Smurf Poo (Starkie Blue) on bovine leather - really, really fast and leaves an extremely toothy edge.

C, with .5 Diamond paste on a piece of leather from an old couch, sometimes on a piece of leather used to make leather motorcycle jackets with well used red jewelers rouge.

Just wondering. When do you use felt? If you do?

k.

I use it between stones but not all the time. I tend to only use it on stainless burr clinger knives. I also keep a second felt pad loaded with chromium oxide that I love to use on yanagiba just before leather/diamond, this makes a really crazy edge.

combination of B and G (CR02 loaded felt) depending on what im trying to accomplish, what knife im sharpening and what stone im planning to stop on

side notes:
i have E at work for emergency stropping
im interested in trying A out for an extended time of a few weeks

A.) This really works quite well, and I do it often
C.) Preferred method after full progression with stones/ Diamond spray; I like higher grit= 1 micron
D.) unloaded balsa, works similar to newspaper....but, may actually prefer newspaper

Out of curiousity, how many generally finish by:
A. stropping on newspaper
B. stropping on a finishing stone
D. stropping on loaded balsa
E. stropping on unloaded leather
F. no stropping
G. other

I'm assuming kitchen knives here :p I haven't done much stropping just yet on my kitchen knives and I don't think that my wiping style on a dry towel after sharpening counts...

Back