Interesting Article on Slow Cooking From an Unlikely Source

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice :D

The temperatures are dropping a bit overhere. Trees are displaying beautiful red and yellow colours. I am looking forward arriving home from work, dusk falling, cold hands, wet nose (ran out of tissues - again). When opening the door I can smell cheeks that have been patiently waiting for me in the slowcooker. After dinner a slow Talisker next to the fire place...
Winter is coming... Life ain't too bad.

"After 15 courses of intricate little plates, we plunk this big, steaming pot in the middle of the table with two spoons and say, “Serve yourself.” People love it."

Brought a smile to my face. :biggrin:

It doesn't seem like the modern crock-pots are as good as the ones from the '70s and '80s. I did some research not too long ago and there were a lot of reviews complaining that even on Slow they got too hot. I had to buy one anyway and sure enough it got way hotter than it should. I got to keep my old Rival Crock-Pot and let my ex take the new one.

my mom did not perform slowcook kung-fu..if she did, she was a white belt.

thin soups, bland..eeckkk.

left me with a bad impression. knowing what i know now and looking back, i realized she thought it was the wonder-one-step tool. she didnt realized even with a slow cooker, you still had to develop flavor by actual cooking. i wish i had her old slow cooker. it was a tank. it is gone.

however, until i remodel my kitchen i wont get one. i just dont have the space. i use my enamel cast iron in the oven. i have all the pre-cooking anyways.

It doesn't seem like the modern crock-pots are as good as the ones from the '70s and '80s. I did some research not too long ago and there were a lot of reviews complaining that even on Slow they got too hot. I had to buy one anyway and sure enough it got way hotter than it should.

Yes, that apparently is a common complaint. (You may well have read this in your recent research: http://www.consumersearch.com/slow-cookers/basic-slow-cookers ] That's why when I purchased a slow cooker a few months ago (for things like pulled pork, as an alternative to a smoker), I chose a model that can be used with a temperature probe. I don't think I'd blindly rely on a slow cooker's temperature settings any more than I would an oven's. (My ancient oven tends to run 50 degrees hotter than the dialed in temperature setting.)

Good read, thanks for posting. It gives my All-clad another year before it goes to the closest of stuff thats never used.

When I started playing with the idea of SV, I filled my crock with water and on low it held steady at 160F, on high it was 190F. Could not understand why someone in the design side of slow cookers was not adding a $10 temp controller to a crock pot. $100 pot + $10 controller would be functional equivalent of a $500 SVS.

Latest posts

Back