Iron chef Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello people, fish head curry they actually EAT the HEAD. Did you NOT see the PHOTOS???

This is prime fear factor scale stuff guys.

Yeah, marketing works wonders. How many 'species' of snappers are there for example?

Haha. Good point. As far as I know, there are about a half-dozen or so rockfish and another half-dozen plus snappers that are all called "Red Snapper" here in the US. But the Snapper in those episodes is probably "madai", a different GENUS altogether that is likely NEVER found in your local US supermarket.

Sustainable Sushi and Monterey Bay Aquarium both give a great rundown.

Patagonian Toothfish? That doesn't sound very appetizing. How about we all call it Chilean Seabass and sell it for $18/lb? Sounds like a plan!

Oh, and for those in NYC, madai is part of the reason you need to order two days in advance for Aburiya Kinnosuke's big prix fix ... they fly in the madai from Tsukiji. The first time they used it for sashimi and tai meshi, and the other for some steamed dish that was just amazing.

Last night on ICJ they did battle carp. One dish was steamed fins, they sucked the stuff from between the ribs, and another dish was fried scales.
I don't think that they are the same carp that we have here..................

I've been lead to believe that carp survive mostly off of pennies and innertubes. No thanks!

These carp are found in the purest water lake in the universe. They are called the Snapper of the whateverthelakewascalled lake. Some have white flesh, and some Funny thing about the show, though, was that they did not show anyone actually eating the scales that were prepared.

I don't know about Japan but when I was in China a few months ago, carp of several species were the most common fish in the markets. Catfish came next.

We bought a live grass carp in one of the classes I took, killed, cleaned and steamed him with ginger, garlic etc. Fairly mild white flesh. Not bad but not real memorable either.

Battle bird's nest was good. Pretty pointless/impossibly expensive ingredient.

Hello people, fish head curry they actually EAT the HEAD. Did you NOT see the PHOTOS???

Precisely, hahaha... that's why we are going to gather at Mel's place for angler fish head curry. Who's going to fight me for the eyes?? Just imagine how much meat you could dig out of the cheek and the back of the head?

There's a lot of good, smooth meat in and around the fish head - and very few people will fight you for it :)

I have mates who will pull a steamed groper's head apart into it's component pieces and suck the slime and ooze off the bones, jaw, lips and fins and suck on the eyes like jujubes... I would be fascinated to watch them at work on a monk/angler head... probably take all freakin' day!! ROFL!

I wouldn't mind trying an angler fish head lol.. haven't seen one sold with the head on in Singapore... Yet...

Monk fish cheeks are delicious! Not sure I could handle the eye balls...

Stefan

I wouldn't mind trying an angler fish head lol.. haven't seen one sold with the head on in Singapore... Yet...

Someone needs to tell Muthu's and Samy's to get their act together!

Patagonian Toothfish? That doesn't sound very appetizing. How about we all call it Chilean Seabass and sell it for $18/lb? Sounds like a plan!

Pantagonia is on the atlantic side right?

So "Atlantic Ivory" might do the trick. It doesn't look half like seabass, and if it was meant for sushi, Ivory can refer to its toothfish origins as well as its smoothness on the palatte.

Actually Singapore sells Stonefish, which is decidedly uglier than monkfish, and is toxic to boot. So you can try that one and tell me. I'll stick to "snapper" thanks.

It makes sense that the monk is a version of the angler, as the angler in the referenced episode did not quite look like the monks that I have seen. Very similar, butt different. In the program they said that 2/3 of the cost of the fish was for the liver.

The monk fish Japanese eat is Lophius litulon.

Do you not have the monk fish or Ankou (Japanese) liver in restaurants?

It is comparable to foie gras.

Here some pictures:
http://www.google.co.jp/search?q=アン...gc.r_pw.&fp=f8bf1933fb6a0890&biw=1216&bih=632

Actually Singapore sells Stonefish, which is decidedly uglier than monkfish, and is toxic to boot. So you can try that one and tell me. I'll stick to "snapper" thanks.

Aw, it's only toxic if you step on it while not wearing shoes!

I'd be happy to have some steamed groper. Had some great seafood in Penang too, last trip.

Back