Is sharpening a necessary skill to keep a decent working edge?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm the opposite of some, maybe. My problem is I want to sharpen too much. Used it once? Well, maybe needs some work. Hmm.... Well, it's been a week with that other one too, so maybe I should break out the stones...?

Perhaps it's a consequence of having about twice as much sharpening/honing equipment as actual knives!

I like that, though. Feels like I can expand or shrink my knife collection, but whatever I have I'm able to care for in all situations.

Would it be an OK choice to recommend them this 9" Lansky ceramic honing rod, for $10?
yes.

Be sure to instruct on using deliberate consistent strokes, and not banging about.
I white lie and tell people they will break the rod if they don't do it this way. :)

Speaking of which, what are your opinions on a good cutting board for under $40 or so? My aunt uses really cheap textured plastic ones that just get torn up, and my mom uses a corian :(

Any decent alternatives for that price range? Do they have to stick with the generic plastic ones?

How much are Boo's edge grain in the States? I like edge grain boards, myself. I use an end-grain, but I ALSO use a face grain. Wood anything is better than nothing.

I saw a end grain cutting board at walmart. I want to say Paula Deen cutting board. That was almost aug. so not sure if it's still with walmart.

I will be sharpening families' knives whenever I can, but it'll be long intervals of time in between (and I'm sure they don't take care of their knives as carefully as we do).

Would it be an OK choice to recommend them this 9" Lansky ceramic honing rod, for $10?

210frq6ZrKL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There aren't many details, except that it says ceramic, and is 9" long. Decent ratings though, so it must mean at the very least it's not a horrible product?

EDIT: I'll encourage a King 1000 whenever possible, but chances are they won't like the idea too much.

Where'd you find that? I would like to see if I can determine about what grit it is. If they have them regularly in stock, that is going to be a suggestion for me. I love my Idahone rod, but they are out of stock on the regular.

I'm not sure if I can post a direct link, but if you search on Amazon "Lansky ceramic" you should be able to find it for just under $10.

With Amazon Prime shipping is free.

Where'd you find that? I would like to see if I can determine about what grit it is. If they have them regularly in stock, that is going to be a suggestion for me. I love my Idahone rod, but they are out of stock on the regular.

Here is one on amazon.

Last edited by a moderator:
They say "medium grit," which i guess is likely to be around a 600 grit water stone.

-Don't quote me on that :)

After googling, it turns out that it is Lansky's "Medium" grit. Which is 280 US Grit, about 350 on our Japanese stones. That's pretty freaking agressive. I'd go with something finer. There is a Smith's ceramic that is 800 US grit(about 1200 Japanese) for a similar price:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001GW9FW0/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'd go with the smith's one. Some places are selling that one for about 5 bucks more than Amazon.

After googling, it turns out that it is Lansky's "Medium" grit. Which is 280 US Grit, about 350 on our Japanese stones. That's pretty freaking agressive. I'd go with something finer. There is a Smith's ceramic that is 800 US grit(about 1200 Japanese) for a similar price:

I'd go with the smith's one. Some places are selling that one for about 5 bucks more than Amazon.

Lol, I was actually just posting that one. I have their diamond version of this same model for use on my German knives. I really like the oval shape, I find it easy to hone on and you get more effective passes with more surface area in contact.

I think it's worth the $2 over the Lansky previously posted.

I was just looking at that one too. Thanks for that!

Back