Is this pitting or am I crazy?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking at these spots and I have some anxiety if this is pitting or not..... I've been good about wiping the blade during use and making sure it's super dry before I put it into its felt sheath.... I've also been good about using tsubuki oil during storage.... Hope KKF can help soothe or confirm my anxiety.

If it is pitting....
From doing more reading it sounds like nothing really needs to be done. Just keep an eye on them and make sure they don't get worse? Right now they all feel smooth on the finger tips- aka no divots.

Attachments

• IMG_3234.JPG
    IMG_3234.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3235.JPG
    IMG_3235.JPG
  • IMG_3237.JPG
    IMG_3237.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3236.JPG
    IMG_3236.JPG
Last edited:
Disclaimer, I am very far from an expert on this. That said, it doesn't look bad to me. If smooth to finger nail I'd just watch it like you said. I don't like the idea of a felt sheath at all though. Even oiled it would give me concern depending on environment stored and your geographic location (humidity).

Not a huge issue if you can't feel them with the fingernail. I would remove the patina with silicon carbide 1500 grit powder and start again. Avoid storing in saya and sheaths. Always better to have the blade airing in a dry environment.

Back