It's Chili season - show your recipes

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Stefan --

You might find this site interesting.

And here are some other recipes which I clipped out of the Denver Post years ago. I usually make something close to the JC Trujillo recipe though I do add a little bit of chopped tomato and onion (some do, some don't, it is a parochial thing).

Auggie Sena's Green Chile
----------------------------------------

1-1/2lb boneless pork butt, not trimmed
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
3 Tbsp flour
1-1/2lb roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped green chile
1 can (14oz) tomatoes, chopped, with liquid
salt to taste

Place pork, whole, in a pot an cover completely with at least 2qts, but not more than 3qts, of water.
Bring to a boil then reduce heat until the water is simmering vigorously.

Cover pot and cook until the pork is tender enough to pierce easily with a fork, about 2 hours.

Drain and reserve boiling liquid, When cool enough to handle, cut pork into 3/4" cub, trimming fat as you go.

Heat vegetable oil in bottom of a 5qt pot over medium heat. Add garlic and flour and fry, stirring constantly until
mixture is a uniform pale brown, about 2 minutes. (Remove pot from burner if it starts to color too quickly).

Add reserved liquid, cubed pork, chiles and tomatoes and stir to dissolve flour.

The mixture should reach 1" below the rim of the pot, if not, add water until it does.

Bring to a boil and reduce to a vigorous simmer. Cook three hours, stirring occasionally. Season to taste with salt.

Makes about 1 gallon.

==================================================================

Brandy Mauro's Green Chile
---------------------------------------
3lbs boneless pork butt, cubed
1 to 1-1/2 large onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 qt canned tomatoes, chopped
2lbs roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped green chile
1/4 cup flour, dissolved into 1/2 cup of water
salt to taste

Place cubed pork, onions and garlic in the bottom of a pot and just cover with water.

Bring to a boil and reduce to a vigorous simmer. Simmer about 1-1/2 hours until pork is tender.

Add additional water as needed to keep pork covered.

Add tomatoes, chiles and 2 qts water. Bring to a boil and reduce to a vigorous simmer.

Whisk in half of the flour-water mixture. Let simmer 10 minutes. If you want the chile thicker, add more flour-water mix.

Reduce heat to a light simmer. Simmer for 2 to 3 hours until flavors are blended. Season to taste with salt.

Makes 1-1/2 to 2 gallons.

==================================================================

J.C Trujillo's Green Chile
-----------------------------------

2 to 4lb pork roast (shoulder or boston butt)
4qts water
3 to 4 cloves garlic, peeled and halved
1 Tbsp chile pequin or chile rojo (any sort of medium hot dried ground red chile)
2 tsp salt
4 Tbsp fat (bacon, vegetable or canola oil)
3/4 cup flour
4 cups diced, peeled, seeded green chile

Trim fat from roast, place roast, water, garlic, dried chile and salt in a pot.

Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 3 to 4 hours until meat shreds easily.

Remove meat, debone and shred into small chunks, removing fat and gristle as you go.

Strain the broth and skim off fat.

Put fat in a clean 5qt pot, heat and stir in flour. When roux starts to color, being adding broth one cup at a time,
stirring constantly. When mixture thins out, add the remaining broth.

Add meat, green chiles and seasonings.

Simmer gently for at least two hours.

Serve with hot flour tortillas.

Makes about 1 gallon.

That would be chili Verdi. I use tomatillos and a standard soffrito, brown the pork chunks well, and throw in some taters.
I process the tomatillos into slop. I use anahiems for the chili as my spouse does not tolerate heat, but hot ones make it best.
I use corn flour to coat the pork prior to browning.

Yes, I use a stick blender, or foot processor, if it happens to be out on the counter.

I make a darn good smoked chile verde, if I do say so myself. I start off with a 6-7 lb pork butt, season liberally with salt, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and dried oregano. Then I smoke it for 3-4 hours or until the internal temp reaches about 160. While the butt is smoking I roast tomatillos, onions, pasillas, anaheims (or NM Hatch chiles when in season) and then make a fresh salsa verde. Once the butt has reached the desired temp, I drop the whole thing in a dutch oven with the salsa and let it simmer for a couple hours. Once the butt reaches 200 internal it will pully apart easily, then I mix the salsa and shredded pork and service over rice with tortillas.

Also, here is a great green chili recipe that I've used with delicious results.

http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1998/06/green-chili.html

I cheat. I use Wick Fowler's Two Alarm mix........so sue me.:lol2: I typically use a pound of ground beef and a pound of ground pork and substitute beer for one of the two cups of water. After years of going with the straight Texas recipe of no beans, I now will occasionally add a 14 oz can of pinto beans if the urge strikes me. Pintos are my all time fave dried bean. If I was going to make the stuff from scratch, I would basically try to reproduce the Fowler recipe including the cigarette pack sized bag of chili powder. I have tried making chili with tri-tip like "competition" chili and I was singularly unimpressed with the results.

I make a darn good smoked chile verde, if I do say so myself. I start off with a 6-7 lb pork butt, season liberally with salt, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and dried oregano. Then I smoke it for 3-4 hours or until the internal temp reaches about 160. While the butt is smoking I roast tomatillos, onions, pasillas, anaheims (or NM Hatch chiles when in season) and then make a fresh salsa verde. Once the butt has reached the desired temp, I drop the whole thing in a dutch oven with the salsa and let it simmer for a couple hours. Once the butt reaches 200 internal it will pully apart easily, then I mix the salsa and shredded pork and service over rice with tortillas.
[/url]

That's a good idea, I make chile verde about a half dozen times a year and same for BBQ butt, but I never thought to combine em!
I dunno why either, the salsa verde pork tacos are one of my fave things at the local BBQ house.
Sometimes it just takes somebody to say it outloud I guess.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to doing this. Thanks again!

I think that I will jump on this bandwagon and pick up a pork shoulder today!

I just finished up the left over chili from the Hammer in!! I used beef and pork in my mix for this batch. :)

Normally I dust pork chunks with corn flower prior to browning, which provides a nice base for thickening the stew, but this time I did a pork shoulder low and slow in the BGE with my dry rub. 5 hours at 200º and then a couple of hours the next day in the oven wrapped in foil at 300. I made a sauce out of tomatillos and green tomatoes, roasted Anaheim's, garlic, onions and carrots. The pork was then added and heated through, and served over rice.
I think some thickener would be a good addition, but the tasty factor was certainly there!

After looking through all the recipes, I made a pot of chili-like stuff last night.
Man, that really hit the spot.
I used stew beef that I cut into smaller cubes, dusted with flour and browned.
A couple chopped Walla Walla sweet onions. A can of chopped green chilis, a jar of salsa verde and a can of black beans.

Not exactly a real recipe or quality ingredients, but it turned out great.

Don't worry about fancy ingredients, Mark. Sure, I love to have chili from some guy who used all kinds of secret, esoteric stuff, and cooked it for 8 hours. However, there is only one of me here. Give me meat (hamburger, left over steak, pork or beef roast) and peppers, bell and hot, onions, a decent sauce... and thirty minutes, I'll have something that I can eat for at least a few days. Thirty minutes also gives me enough time for cornbread. BTW, I often make my own sauce, but if you guys can find El Pato "tomato sauce" (the other side says, Salsa de Chili Fresco...in a yellow can with red letters), if you don't like your chili so hot it will make you cry for your mama, you likely won't need any extra hot peppers or other hotsy additions. Fancy isn't necessary, at least not for me.

Back