Japan Trip Review (Fujiwara)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crosscut

Reaction score
I spent a couple of weeks in Japan this summer (which was very hot and humid). I had a great time, traveling to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto, Nara, Shirahama (a Beach Town), and Koyasan. It was an amazing trip filled with lots of interesting culture, food, and knives.

Now, about the knives. Prior to my trip, I had reached out to Fujiwara-san to order two Denka knives. I already own a 210mm Gyuto Maboroshi and a 120mm Maboroshi Petty, both of which I really enjoy. With the currency exchange in our favor, I decided to go ahead and order two more. Since I was able to pick them up locally, the price was reduced from 77000 yen to 70000, which worked out to be around $650 CAD for the 210mm Denka.

I was fortunate to have a friend who spoke Japanese accompany me to the shop, which turned out to be a huge help. Initially, they presented me with 3-4 black-handled petty and gyuto knives to choose from. I believe it was Fujiwara's son who assisted me, as Fujiwara himself was not present at the shop when I arrived. As I perused the selection, I noticed some red-handled ones showcased in a display case. I asked my friend to inquire about them, and he explained that the red handles indicated that they were purchased within Japan and were typically not meant for export. With this information, my friend asked to have those knives brought out for me to examine. I found the red handle to be quite unique and ended up selecting the thinnest one from the assortment. Fujiwara's son played an instrumental role in helping me decide, taking into consideration factors such as my height and hand size. I invested a considerable amount of time in choosing the perfect one and thus far, I'm extremely satisfied with its performance. The Denka outperforms the Maboroshi. Perhaps the grind is superior.

Fujiwara's son informed me that his father was on his way, and he requested my patience for about 10 minutes. When Fujiwara arrived, he warmly shook my hand and proceeded to engrave the knife for me. During this time, his wife graciously served us iced coffee and gave my kids some refreshments. They treated us with exceptional kindness.

Is the knife flawless? Not entirely, but it performs exceptionally well. The balance is perfect for me, the aesthetics are appealing, and it serves as a cherished memento from an unforgettable journey. I particularly admire the red handle as well.

Attachments

• 20230814_115040.jpg
    20230814_115040.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Here are a few pictures from the shop. I also mentioned that I was trying to become better at sharpening, and I asked if he could give me any advice, which I would greatly appreciate. I had brought both of my Maboroshi knives, which I had already sharpened. He was happy with my job but pointed out that my sharpening angle was too high; I had thought it was around 10 degrees as I had seen a Knifewear video indicate he sharpens at a very low angle because he "trusts" his steel. He demonstrated on the finishing stone which was a Naniwa 8000, a line I am unfamiliar with, featuring a bird on the front; it seemed to be a soaking stone. Interestingly, he only used one Japanese 100 yen coin as a reference angle. I would estimate that he sharpens at an angle of about 5 degrees, which was very surprising. Of course, all of this was being translated through my friend, so I was doing my best to understand and communicate. He asked if I could leave the Maboroshi knives with him, and he would personally sharpen them for me and send them to my hotel, very cool!
I have attached how they came back, looking brand new again. I have yet to try this version of them vs the new Denka, I will report back later if people are interested.

Attachments

• IMG_4744.JPG
    8.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4746.JPG
    10 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230824_100606.jpg
    20230824_100606.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Did you need to order it ahead of time or do you think you could have sent an email a couple days in advance and dropped in to buy a knife?
Sounds like he dropped in and found a knife (red handled Denka). I would call or email ahead and know they have a few to look at. 210's seem a little plentiful than 240's.

Did you need to order it ahead of time or do you think you could have sent an email a couple days in advance and dropped in to buy a knife?
If you do not order it ahead of time, then you are subject to whatever is in stock at the time at the shop. They had a decent amount there, but it would be rolling the dice so up to you.

Sounds like he dropped in and found a knife (red handled Denka). I would call or email ahead and know they have a few to look at. 210's seem a little plentiful than 240's.
I had ordered ahead, but switched from the black handle which I initially ordered to the red handle once I saw them in person. I was lucky they had some in stock at the time. I didn't even know the red handle was an option, and as they told me it signified a knife purchased in person at the store.

Sounds like an incredible knife-shopping experience in Japan! The red-handled Denka with that personal touch from Fujiwara-san himself must be a real treasure. Enjoy your knives, and the memories they hold from your journey.

He demonstrated on the finishing stone which was a Naniwa 8000, a line I am unfamiliar with, featuring a bird on the front; it seemed to be a soaking stone.

I am curious as to which stone this is. The only one that I have found that relates to a picture of a bird is the Naniwa Gouken Hayabusa #4000 grit, but you mentioned it was an #8000 soaking stone.

1697223345403.png

Went to Fujiwara's shop while traveling in JP 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately don't recall seeing any red handled denkas (or at least 240s).
Fortunately the few denkas they had were all of pretty good f&f and grind. so grabbed one and pretty happy with it.
What sweetened the deal is that the Japanese yen is at a low point now. Made the knife even cheaper.

Went to Fujiwara's shop while traveling in JP 2 weeks ago. Unfortunately don't recall seeing any red handled denkas (or at least 240s).
Fortunately the few denkas they had were all of pretty good f&f and grind. so grabbed one and pretty happy with it.
What sweetened the deal is that the Japanese yen is at a low point now. Made the knife even cheaper.
How much does it cost to get it at the shop?

Back