• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Jiro 240 Yo Gyuto #406

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning,

After one heck of a BST post yesterday, I am back with the next knife I am looking to part ways with. I will once again be selling this knife for what I believe is market value, because that is the way I like to do business. However unlike last time, I will be showing that I also paid market value for this knife, because I don't just believe that when it benefits me. It is important to me that the people I purchase my knives from also get what the knife is genuinely worth.

So with that being said, here are the details on the knife, and afterwards I will detail my original purchase for those who want those details:

Jiro #406
$1,150 + Shipping

Length: 246mm
Height: 57.5mm
Thickness: 4.63mm
Weight: 289g
Steel: White 1 / Iron Clad
Handle: Taihei Tagayasan / Buffalo Horn / Brass
BNIB

Oh and my reason for selling is simply that I don't believe this has a place in my Japanese collection.

I purchased this knife 20 October 23 from a very good friend here on the forum. We discussed what we felt the value of the knife was and I paid him $1,100 USD. He actually offered to go lower but this is what I felt was fair. At the time the exact amount I transferred was $1506.33 CAD which at the exchange rate on 20 October 23 of approximately 1.370 was exactly $1100 USD. He then got a shipping quote and I paid that separately. It was probably around $60 though as this is the usual between us. The knife arrived at my door 31 Oct 23 and I paid $44.00 CAD in duties and taxes. My total cost on receiving this knife was $1506.33 CAD + $60 CAD + $44.00 CAD for a total of $1610.33 CAD which at todays exchange rate of 1.36 is $1186.61 USD.

While the justification for the price is still market value because I believe that is how business should be conducted, this breakdown is simply to show that I am not profiting off this knife in anyway, and did not have the intention of flipping it for a profit. I genuinely felt it would be great in my collection, I received it and changed my mind, and I am now selling this knife for slightly less than what I paid, which I believe is fair market value. Incase this is not enough for anybody I will be attaching some photos at the end showing the transaction receipts as well as a message to the owner of the knife from when the knife arrived with a date stamp to show that these transactions do line up with the purchasing of this knife and that at the time I was genuinely excited to add this knife to my collection and not just purchasing to sell for more later.

Oh I almost forgot to talk a bit more about the knife. I purchased this because my friend has had many Jiro's and generally has found the grinds to be wildly inconsistent. He kept this one and one other because they were the only ones he felt might actually perform well based on the choil (again this is BNIB so these are assumptions). Since I use the knives I keep, this appealed to me, so I purchased this one from him. However, I just don't have enough of an appreciation for Jiro's work to keep it and appreciate it, so it is time for it to go to someone who will really love it.

Again, I am very open to partial trades for a 240 Yo Denka

Thank you,
Luke

DSC05489.jpg
DSC05488.jpg
DSC05492.jpg
DSC05493.jpg
DSC05496.jpg
DSC05497.jpg
DSC05500.jpg
DSC05506.jpg
DSC05503.jpg

GLWS, it’s cool to see that Shig and Kaiju with some patina going 🫡

What’s the second from left?

GLWS, it’s cool to see that Shig and Kaiju with some patina going 🫡

What’s the second from left?
Thanks man! Yea the Kaiju and Shig gets LOTS of use. The shig is currently my wife's favourite at the moment 😅 . Second from the left is a Toyama Bloomery Iron Gyuto. I haven't used it yet though.. it makes me nervous for some reason. Hopefully soon I will work up the courage!

Thanks man! Yea the Kaiju and Shig gets LOTS of use. The shig is currently my wife's favourite at the moment 😅 . Second from the left is a Toyama Bloomery Iron Gyuto. I haven't used it yet though.. it makes me nervous for some reason. Hopefully soon I will work up the courage!
I mean, if you need me to do the honours, you know where to send it (…I will give you my address)

Hahaha, I'd be happy to let you do the honours, but the thought of putting it in a box makes me even more nervous than using it. If you or anybody else wants to come to me here in Victoria, I'll let ya have the first cut!
My dad and his partner were thinking of moving from the UK to Canada… 🤔

I kinda think it’s obnoxious for anybody to tell you the price you should set for your knife. The market price is what somebody is willing to pay. Period. The notion of gouging in a context of a luxury item sale is just kind of self righteous and calling someone out for it is like grade school behaviour and can be damaging to the forum. I’d understand if one person gave a good deal to a friend who then just turned around and sold it for more. That’s kind of breaking a deal and is hurtful. But that’s between the people involved and nobody else’s business. I mean, really?

That said, that knife retails for ~US$700 incl shipping. So if Woodworks decided to be generous when he bought it from his buddy (which I would respect), then that isn’t the market price. It’s a closed sale. Or it could be that the knife is scarce enough that the prevailing price is that much high than the original sticker price. You’d really need to auction it to find out what that is.

OwlWoodworks doesn’t have to justify a thing to anybody. Good luck with the sale dude.

I kinda think it’s obnoxious for anybody to tell you the price you should set for your knife. The market price is what somebody is willing to pay. Period. The notion of gouging in a context of a luxury item sale is just kind of self righteous and calling someone out for it is like grade school behaviour and can be damaging to the forum. I’d understand if one person gave a good deal to a friend who then just turned around and sold it for more. That’s kind of breaking a deal and is hurtful. But that’s between the people involved and nobody else’s business. I mean, really?

That said, that knife retails for ~US$700 incl shipping. So if Woodworks decided to be generous when he bought it from his buddy (which I would respect), then that isn’t the market price. It’s a closed sale. Or it could be that the knife is scarce enough that the prevailing price is that much high than the original sticker price. You’d really need to auction it to find out what that is.

OwlWoodworks doesn’t have to justify a thing to anybody. Good luck with the sale dude.
Thanks man, I appreciate you saying that a lot.

Should have put this right away sorry but this one is SPF, thank you everyone and if you are interested still please let me know. I make sure to honour inquiries in the order received if the initial exchange does not work out for whatever reason.

Back