Just Arrived - Anyone care to guess what it is?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one more try INCEANA
or desert acacia:chin:

Sometimes I make up my own names to describe unusual looking pieces.
In this case the block makes me think of what Butch likes.
This is a lower grade piece but I think it shows what I mean by "Harner Style"
bh001.jpg

Two tone! Forget Butch I want it!:razz:

I know nothing about wood, but I do know that'd look real nice on a custom knife. I guess maple because I'm Canadian, and I should make 300 more guesses of maple to improve my chances.

After seeing the prize, I would say it could also be jatoba.

i love suppliers that think of me now and then BTW im not really in this game ether as im jsut going to buy a bit and let a non full time hoarder have a shot at wood

Actually the density can vary from 1.0 to 1.4
If I remember correctly desert ironwood will vary from 1.0 to 1.2

Desert Ironwood has a specific gravity of 1.15, Knobthorn is 1.19. Source.

*edit* wasn't correcting you, just refreshing your memory!

Maybe even snakewood since you said we would be familiar with it but don't normally see it with that pattern.

Yeah, the second(harner style) one looks like Black Mulga, but not the first!

I know NOTHING about wood. Here's my lame guess: is it walnut? Oops, walnut is not in the acacia genus, I just read that post. Oh well, that's my guess.

Just to say, its stunning and even better in person. Nice piece there Mate--Marekz

I used the random number generator to pick a number.
It picked #35 whoever that was.
If you were post #35 send me a PM with your Mailing address and I will put your block in the mail.

This block just had a quick belt sanding to 120 grit and then I sealed it with a light coat of spray lacquer.

As for what type of wood it is;
I will give a couple hints.
#1 It is a type of acacia, same family as koa
#2 Weight and density comparable and sometimes exceeds that of desert ironwood. The block in the photo above is a double size block and weighs a little over 1 pound.

I guess that it is Australian Snakewood? Desert Ironwood specific gravity at 1.2, snakewood at 1.36...

Hahahahaha oh crap. Late. Hey waitaminute, it ain't friday!

The name of the wood got out so I decided to do the drawing early.
In a few days I will set up a new contest.
I like to give away free stuff but my boss says I have to do it sparingly.

The wood in this thread is Australian Ringed Gidgee Acacia cambagei.
It is a type of Acacia that grows in desert conditions in Western Australia. The figure and grain structure tends to be a lot like it's cousin, Koa, also an Acacia.
Because of the conditions where it grows the density of the wood varies from about 1.0 to 1.4.
Gidgee is normally darker brown but can vary in coloring from golden brown, oranges, reds, and dark brown.

It is an oily wood but surprisingly easy to work with.
Like Ironwood it can have some small voids and very fine hairline checks. If any of those occur within the handle area a few drops of CA glue (super glue) will usually make them disappear. Even though it is an oily wood, it does not clog sandpaper like some rosewoods.
To get the best finish I have seen,
Sand to 1000+ grit.
Apply a light coat of Tung or Danish oil. Let dry and repeat a few times.
Wax with paste wax and hand buff with an old piece of denim.
Power buffing can diminish the appearance of the figure.

I used the random number generator to pick a number.
It picked #35 whoever that was.
If you were post #35 send me a PM with your Mailing address and I will put your block in the mail.
Mark -- you accidentally mis-typed #26. Thankfully for all involved, I have detected the error so it can be swiftly corrected. You are welcome! :eek:vg:

Congrats Sean!

Next time you might want to do it a different way, as just doing it by post number in the thread favors people who post more than once. *cough*

Next time you might want to do it a different way, as just doing it by post number in the thread favors people who post more than once. *cough*

Next one I will make some rules.
I like to have give away contests so expect them to be a regular thing.

Cool thanks guys! Now I need to figure out what to add to my cart at burlsource to make that package a little heavier... Anyone care to help with suggestions?:biggrin:

Andrew, you're right. I was thinking about this myself. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, but maybe I can find a way to give back too.

Back