Just for Fun: What type of knife knut are you?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think dillitante foodie bottom feeder sums it up pretty well.

Started out with the "on a whim" purchase of a Shun 3 piece VG10 set of pretty much useless knives (105 Deda, 150 Yanagi and 210 Yanagi) for $199 and got snickered at on KF. Fortunately, I was able to sell them on eSpray for $227.

Since then, I've been happy picking up other knuts' castoffs - including:

Misono Swedish Carbon 210 Gyuto
Shiki Damascus 150 Petty
Konosuke Stainless 240 Wa-Gyuto
Nenox G-Type 240 Gyuto
Kumagoro Hammer finish Blue #2 165 Nakiri
Carter 5.5 Sun HG Wa-Bocho

James

...a Shun 3 piece VG10 set of pretty much useless knives (105 Deda, 150 Yanagi and 210 Yanagi) for $199 and got snickered at on KF...
Those sets get around. A friend of mine just dropped one off that she got on woot. I'm trying to figure out how to unload it... They are basically new, as far as I can tell.

Those sets get around. A friend of mine just dropped one off that she got on woot. I'm trying to figure out how to unload it... They are basically new, as far as I can tell.

Took two go rounds on eSpray, but I figure with shipping and fees I about broke even - and I learned something!

James

Going to culinary school got me to looking for quality knives, not knowing much about them other than "Slicy part, pointy part, and holdy part...) Found KF and watched the floor drop out...

I am a carbon steel nut, and guess I could fall into the "Steel" category but it is not the only one. I (ab)used them professionally as well. If I could afford to I'd get at least one of all the KU knives I could find and pester any makers that will listen to make some KU knives as well :p (oh wait...)

Great thread..!

I'm a practical guy who likes good tools and having the ability to maintain them.
Learning to sharpen have been a very rewarding experience for me.
Having sharp knives really aids my motivation for cooking in general and my cooking skills have improved a lot along with my knife skills.

Still feel like I am just scratching the surface though - which is nice and the reason I like this forum so much.

Lars

Pro user, but kind of minimalist I only have 4 knives and they all get used nearly every day. No duplicates here.

:spin chair: not part of the loon-a-tic fringes when I was when younger :laughat:

:spin chair: not part of the loon-a-tic fringes when I was when younger :laughat:

Don't believe a word geezr says. He has easily surpassed my with quality knives and shows me a new one every time we meet ;)

Stefan

(P.S. I'll email about lunch next week...)

High end handmade one of a kind knifenut foodie.
Lucky to live close to Harald who is one of the best chefs Ive eaten at and probably one of the best sharpeners and handle maker in the world :)
Damn Im a lucky ****.

My G.A.S. is starting to turn to different avenues. The passage of the concealed carry law here in dairyland prompted me to pick the pistols back up. I had forgotten that I used to be pretty darn proficient.

There's just something about knives and guns.

I had one of my guns sitting on my desk after cleaning it, next to it was the Masamoto Honyaki suji. I thought to myself, "that knife and gun cost the same."
As nice as that knife is the gun seemed like a way better value. Then I got this feeling that I've been getting ripped off all these years.

There will most likely be a sale soon. (But where do you sell a 10K yanagi?)

I had one of my guns sitting on my desk after cleaning it, next to it was the Masamoto Honyaki suji. I thought to myself, "that knife and gun cost the same."
As nice as that knife is the gun seemed like a way better value. Then I got this feeling that I've been getting ripped off all these years.

Tough to prep onion soup or break down a pismo with a Sig Sauer though.

As for the yanagi...there is one guy on the forums who always buys all the cool stuff, lives out near Milwaukee...oh, wait. Nevermind. ebay I guess?

Well, the left-handed, short yanagi is mine when you do sell :D

As for me, I'm a "been fascinated by sharp things since I was about 8 years old" knut.
I'm also a "loves to tinker/modify/sharpen knives" knut.
Can't forget the "lucky as all hell to have become friends with other knuts and makers" knut.

Hey, I agree with you but back when I asked about best blenders, someone called me a blender snob.

If you are talking blenders, and you say VitaMix, and someone calls you a blender snob...that just means they can't afford a VitaMix.

I am a home cook who has been interested in knives and sharpening them since i was a kid. I would categorize myself as someone who is practical, likes good tools and is continually seeking what works best for me.

If you are talking blenders, and you say VitaMix, and someone calls you a blender snob...that just means they can't afford a VitaMix.

I would ask about them, but I am too broke to buy one amyway, so I don't :)

Stefan

My G.A.S. is starting to turn to different avenues. The passage of the concealed carry law here in dairyland prompted me to pick the pistols back up. I had forgotten that I used to be pretty darn proficient.

There's just something about knives and guns.

I cannot get back into guns again... You think I'm knuts about knives and razors?? Guns where easaly 10x worse and I would not try to stop myself from getting what was needed at the time. Cost me almost $1k to send my handguns home from AK and I had 47 long guns in my truck going threw Canada... Customs just about gave birth to a full grown bobcat that was not happy to be stuffed up that pipe again... Eventually they let me threw with a severe warning that if anything came out of that truck I was going straight to prison... Needless to say I only stopped for gas in the 2 days it took to drive threw...

Down to 10 or so keepers that I don't plan to expand on, I just don't dare...

I should be able to think of something clever to add here, but I'll just leave it at "I'm a foodie that wants really nice s**t". Yet, the more I collect, the more I just want an example of most knife makers work.

Salty I think everyone will be excited if you sell any of your knives, the edges on them all look fantastic...or maybe thats your skill with them but alas who knows.

I guess I fall into the "foodie who likes to have nice stuff" category, albeit with a special fascination and desire for knives. Granted, my financial situation has often skewed that more into the realm of "lusts after nice things" rather than "has nice things," but the fascination for knives hasn't changed.

Yep, so do I. I love the craftsmanship angle (I'm hugely into handmade things) so the larger manufacturing concerns are less interesting to me than the places that you can see the stamp of the maker.

It started out as wanting to get my edges to last longer/get sharper at work so off I go looking for some better knives then the stamped ones they issue at work. One thing lead to another and here I am with a heavier knife roll and a lighter wallet...

I guess I fall into the "foodie who likes to have nice stuff" category, albeit with a special fascination and desire for knives. Granted, my financial situation has often skewed that more into the realm of "lusts after nice things" rather than "has nice things," but the fascination for knives hasn't changed.
Don't you have several nice things now?:spin chair::scratchhead::tease:

ya, it also means they are extremely ignorant

a vita-mix is not in the same category as a blender just as a canoe is not in the same category as a ranger

Personally I'm a big fan of K-tech blenders if for no other reason than getting to watch sweet "will it blend" videos on youtube

Foodie who likes good tools. Also fond of custom knives, even tho I don't have one (yet!) because I remember back when dear old dad spent hours upon hours working on a custom hunting knife design (a big Bowie, with black micarta handle, stainless blade, and nickel silver accents) then always managed to be sharpening it when dates came to pick me up.

"Retired" a few years back (i.e., quit before taking a baseball bat to somebody) and now do all our cooking instead of eating out as was our habit. Recently started looking into upgrading my knives, and now have found a whole new realm in which to spend money. Hey, I don't wear jewelry much anymore, so hubby needs SOMETHING to buy for Christmas and birthdays, right?

Don't use a blender much so I don't have a Vitamix, but I ADORE my Electrolux Assistent mixer.

I am a foodie who is into tools and artistic craftsmanship. I also collect watches.

Back