Just for two

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and answering directly to what the OP asked, I still say 225 is the way to go...
Well see that's the problem, the OP asked a meaningless question. He said: "should I use an eight inch or a nine inch knife," and got three pages of nerdy nonsense extrapolating the poignant differences between 8, 8.5, and 9 inch knives as if they were somehow founded in reality. The extra inch of length does not increase your edge's longevity, unless you are a idiot savant who manages to wear the entire edge at the exact same rate; it does not take any extra room to wield, because it's an inch, and if an inch of steel makes or breaks your ability to use a knife, you shouldn't use be using a knife (seriously guys, just choke up on it a bit); and lastly, it only might increase the weight--perhaps between two otherwise exact models--but I butter toast with a 300mm gyuto that weighs less than my 8" Wusthof, so there's clearly some grand generalizations being made here.

The only people who ask if they should use an eight inch or a nine inch knife are people who don't understand what they're looking for in the first place, and it's therefore the last thing those people should be worried about.

You might be right, but it's a natural question to ask. It's another factor, and as you said, perhaps the easiest to centre out. A normal starting point when buying your first expensive (Japanese, perhaps) knife is, "What type of knife"? And the next question is surely going to be, "what size?". It's just how our brains work.

Well see that's the problem, the OP asked a meaningless question. He said: "should I use an eight inch or a nine inch knife," and got three pages of nerdy nonsense extrapolating the poignant differences between 8, 8.5, and 9 inch knives as if they were somehow founded in reality. ... The only people who ask if they should use an eight inch or a nine inch knife are people who don't understand what they're looking for in the first place, and it's therefore the last thing those people should be worried about.

Kind of true, but poor David Metzger who just asked a simple question and said, 'Thanks for your thoughts.' If people want to obsess about small details then let 'em, I say. And at any rate, if someone doesn't wonder about such things then they probably don't care much about the world of blades anyway, and it's natural to ask, as Lefty said. Also, I wouldn't want people to feel shy or foolish about asking 'dumb' questions. Of course all the questions that I have asked in the past have been highly intelligent and informed, I'm sure. :dontknow:

You might be right, but it's a natural question to ask. It's another factor, and as you said, perhaps the easiest to centre out. A normal starting point when buying your first expensive (Japanese, perhaps) knife is, "What type of knife"? And the next question is surely going to be, "what size?". It's just how our brains work.

That's fair, it just seems irresponsible to respond to that question with dozens of generalizations, anecdotes, and outright falsehoods that only serve to obfuscate the buyer's real need. It's been brought to my attention, however, that I'm being an impetuous ass, so I'll leave it at that and excuse myself from the piss I just sprayed everywhere. Huzzah!

doh.jpg

Haha. Jack, you're a good guy, and I know what you're saying. In a way, it's the same thing I've always said about a good gyuto type petty or a 210 gyuto.

Anywho....

Well thanks everyone for your thoughts. It was an interesting point about the cutting boards size. Probably a short 240mm or long 210mm is right for me. I knew 240mm sets the gold standard here and I was really surprised to hear so many of you pretty happy with your 210mm. Now is a western handle or wa handle better. JUST KIDDING! Thanks again David

Man do I love this forum! and after this thread I would start a petition to be sent to all knifemakers to drop production of nonsensical 210 and 240 mm blades and create a new class @225mm! :knight:

Well thanks everyone for your thoughts. It was an interesting point about the cutting boards size. Probably a short 240mm or long 210mm is right for me. I knew 240mm sets the gold standard here and I was really surprised to hear so many of you pretty happy with your 210mm. Now is a western handle or wa handle better. JUST KIDDING! Thanks again David

David - I don't know where you live but there are a lot of great folks on the forum who may invite you over or let you borrow a knife or two to see what you like if you are in their area. Otherwise you can also see if there is a shop nearby that you can try a few out to see what you like.

It's been brought to my attention, however, that I'm being an impetuous ass, so I'll leave it at that and excuse myself from the piss I just sprayed everywhere.

whoever told you that is the impetuous ass.

Back