Kaeru!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 240 looks like a funayuki
(maybe crossed with a KS)

= Like

I wonder if this will prove
the hypothesis that shape
matters more than
steel, smith, or origin myth.

:)

I wonder for a while why Maksim purposefully choose Kaeru as the name, as it sounds like "Return" in japanese, perhaps return for more business at JNS.
A chef using a "Kaeru", return of customer
A home cook using a "Kaeru", safe return of loved ones
If this word play is correct, very well played (& do I win one [emoji56] )

the kanji are very different though
Yeah definately but phonically the same right ? 帰る (return) is pronouced kareu , 蛙 (frog) is also pronouced kareu.

I am not an expert in japanese by any means

These look to share some similarities to the tadafusa sld from cleancut.

Yeah, but kaeru has a tip I prefer, no hammer finish and no rosewood handle. Still a winner.

You don't like rosewood handles? They look super nice. I haven't had any d rosewoods, but those look superb. I like my other rosewood handles.

My 240mm arrived yesterday. Really quite a fun knife so far. The only thing I may work on is rounding the spine and choil just a tad...but I’m very happy with it.

I’m a lefty, and yeah not really crazy about rosewood.

I’ll second this. Rosewood never felt ‘right’ to me. Haven’t used a knife handled in it in years. Thought it had kind of fell by the wayside. Granted- they do look nice. But just don’t warm up over extended use IME.

Dang alot of haters of the rosewood I guess. I'm not one of them. I've had multiple and liked them all, but everybody has their own preferences.

Recommended my boss get this knife and while she's hasn't warmed up to it (upset that SLD's stainless is noticeably less "stainless" than others, flatter profile, wa-handle, lighter knife) I think it's pretty phenomenal, especially at the price point, I honestly prefer it to the itinomonn 210 I tried a while back. This knife is now going to be my go-to knife rec for those "I want to get a nicer knife" people.

Put the Kaeru to a tough test yesterday. Cutting through a garlic bulb root. Super tough, had to use my palm, deba-style to get through four of them. I was torking the knife, smashing it into the garlic, pretty much Neanderthal style.

No chips and only four or five rolled edges, that will come out with sharpening. I did touch it up on a Ohira Tomae Asagi and it produced a very keen but toothy edge.

Had the Kaeru 210 for 48hrs, so far 4 meals, cut everything from squash to cherry tomatoes to striploin to breaking down a chicken.
What I Like: Pretty nimble and light, excellent cutter. Huge flat spot in the middle, great for dicing. Very tough (more on that later). Wont win at any strawberry coring competitions, but is sufficient for a 210.

I also put my Kaeru through a tough test, although not on purpose, I knocked over my pepper mill, which knocked iver the olive oil, which sent the Kaeru on the board 4 feet in the air landing tip first onto stone floors. Now the pictures thats worth a thousand tips:

bZihs5q.jpg

fFRD9lp.jpg

If it was another knife I wouldve lost a LOT more tip. Oh well, now I get to sharpen it and will get back on how that goes

I wasn't a big fan of the fake wide bevel blasted finish.

OacdC3S.jpg

Yeah but think about it this way, if kaeru had a nicer finish it would’ve costed some more. That’s what I actually like about the knife. We’re paying for just labor costs that go into things that matter functionally.
Now tell me more about how you refinished the blade, it looks great!

I wasn't a big fan of the fake wide bevel blasted finish.

OacdC3S.jpg

Back