kashima sanjo impressions?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to chime in: I owned the 210 version of the kashima sanjo (aka "yahiko ice" as far as i can tell) for a few months and have been supremely impressed with it. It does not disappoint.

Very well made with high level of finish, while retaining a wakui+ level of performance. Excellent distal taper, with a precise tip. Cladding is stainless but rather soft (the hard side of a sponge can scratch it). Only sold it because i prefer a lower tip.

Carl: the kashimas at cc are from different makers (warikomi is from tosa, for example).

Last edited:
Thanks, that’s what I thought. Didn’t know the warikomi was from Tosa though.
emoji1303.png

Is this Hirosugu Tosa who sharpens the Akebonos, for instance? Does he also do forging? Or is it someone else?

Are all kashimas made by Yoshikane? Given that one of the lines is made in Seki, and only one line is called ’by Yoshikane’ it seems false to say kashima is Yoshikane.

No, you're right, only "Kashima by Yoshikane" and "Kashima Sanjo". I have no info on the rest.

But on to the board.

I was only able to play with it briefly, made a tomato salad for 50. The cladding is stainless, the core is not. The core is (was) mirror polished. Not sure it will be again. F/F good all around.

Lighter than expected - not sure where comparison to Gengetsu originated but they'll likely not be confused. I'll put it on scales 2morrow. Balanced well for me. Seemed thin behind edge but I have literally only cut tomatoes with it.

Craig, it seems like it would suit a lefty well:cool:

More later.

Been playin. g with the Kashima (stainless clad - yeah!) for a couple weeks now. Like. Tomatoes are relatively cheap right now and almost good - been buying them by the case for salads. After cutting about a thousand the knife needed a little touch up - few strokes on a 6K stone brought the white core right back into the game. Lot of veg as well, diced a bunch of onions, carrots, celery, cut up a lot of squash, etc. Trimmed chickens, pork, cut up a couple bottom rounds. Knife acquited itself well.

Food release was better than expected with thin behind the edge moving up to a spine with some ass to it. The tip was very nice for dicing. Good flat spot for turning big things into little things. Handle is an "upgrade" thats a little meh. I like handles to be chestnut if upgrading otherwise gimmee that ho.

To my door it cost about $240usd. Should merit consideration for anyone considering a 2 - 300 knife.

kashima 1.jpg

kashima2.jpg

Kashima scale.jpg

Latest posts

Back